Intentional grounding & sacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intentional grounding & sacks

I was just watching the end of the Texans vs. Browns game (don't ask me why!) and watched Mario Williams break through the O-line and take Frye to the ground. But Frye managed to barely get the ball away and was called for intentional grounding.

It got me thinking that it isn't really fair to the defender that he doesn't get the credit for a sack. While it doesn't matter much to Williams right now, this is a stat driven league when it comes time to get a new contract. If a player missed a couple sacks because the QB intentionally grounded the ball, it could cost him a bundle on a new contract.

What do you think? Should a defensive player get credit for a sack if he forces an intentional grounding?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Originally posted by Javalon
    I was just watching the end of the Texans vs. Browns game (don't ask me why!) and watched Mario Williams break through the O-line and take Frye to the ground. But Frye managed to barely get the ball away and was called for intentional grounding.

It got me thinking that it isn't really fair to the defender that he doesn't get the credit for a sack. While it doesn't matter much to Williams right now, this is a stat driven league when it comes time to get a new contract. If a player missed a couple sacks because the QB intentionally grounded the ball, it could cost him a bundle on a new contract.

What do you think? Should a defensive player get credit for a sack if he forces an intentional grounding?
    I do believe the defender should be credited with a sack. A good reference is a forced fumble-FF(the defender gets credit for forced fumbles regardless of possesion.........I think)

Comment

It should still be a sack.The offense loses a down and the yards which is just like a sack.The whole system needs to be revamped as defensive players do not know what is allowed and whats not.If your going to protect them so much with the rules then there needs to be more in the grasp plays called.Qbs are getting away cause players are scared to hit them or take them to the ground.

Comment

Working...
      X