Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns fire assistants

Browns announce coaching changes
    The Browns announced Friday that four assistant coaches, including receivers coach Terry Robiskie, will not be retained for the 2007 season.

Robiskie joined the club in 2001 as wide receivers coach and stayed in the role until he was elevated to offensive coordinator in '04. He finished that year as the team's interim head coach for the club's final five games after Butch Davis resigned from his post. Robiskie returned to coaching the receivers in '05 and stayed at the job in '06.

The other coaches relieved of their duties are tight ends coach Ben Coates, offensive quality control coach Carl Crennel II, and strength and conditioning coach John Lott.

All three coaches joined the Browns' staff in 2005 when Romeo Crennel became the club's head coach.

The job with the Browns was the first major coaching role for Coates, who coached in NFL Europe and took part in a minority coaching internship with the Cowboys before coming to Cleveland. Coates was a five-time Pro Bowl tight end for the Patriots.

Carl Crennel, the nephew of the Browns' head coach, was the director of football operations and assistant head coach at West Virginia Tech University before coming to Cleveland.

The bulk of Lott's experience came at the University of Houston from 1991-96 and with the New York Jets from 1997-04.

"I would like to thank these four coaches for their service to the Browns since my arrival here two years ago, especially Terry Robiskie, who served as wide receivers coach, offensive coordinator and interim head coach during his six years with the Browns," Romeo Crennel said. "These decisions were made with the best interest of the franchise in mind."

LINK
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

I'm really surprised that Ben Coates was fired. He did a very good job with the TE's the years he was there.

Steve Heiden did amazing last season and Winslow himself tied a team record in receptions by a TE.

Coates should not have been let go.

The rest though, they deserved their tickets out.

Comment

Is next year pretty much Romeo's last shot? Usually, when the assistants get fired the coach has to produce or he'll be out the door too.
      sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos
        Is next year pretty much Romeo's last shot? Usually, when the assistants get fired the coach has to produce or he'll be out the door too.
        Unless he produces, Crennell will be fired at the end of next year. These assistants there were fired all deserved to go IMHO except for Coates. Coates did amazing in his two seasons with Cleveland and I'm sure he'll be looked at by somebody. I'm thinking he was fired because of remarks made by Winslow. I think Coates' firing was because the owner wants a hard line TE coach that will control him.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
          Unless he produces, Crennell will be fired at the end of next year. These assistants there were fired all deserved to go IMHO except for Coates. Coates did amazing in his two seasons with Cleveland and I'm sure he'll be looked at by somebody. I'm thinking he was fired because of remarks made by Winslow. I think Coates' firing was because the owner wants a hard line TE coach that will control him.
          Define "produces." Will a winning season save his job? Or will he have to take the Browns to the playoffs?

Just curious.
          sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos
            Define "produces." Will a winning season save his job? Or will he have to take the Browns to the playoffs?

Just curious.
            A winning season or playoff birth. Preferably the latter.

Comment

Usually when that many assistants are let go, the head coach shows them some respect, and won't do it....and essentialy says if my assistants go, "I Go"......imo, he must not get along to well with his assistants, or he would have supported them a little bit.....................or maybe he is just money hungry????......new coaches, for a team that is already at the bottom of the barrel.........it could get even uglier, before it gets better........
              Last edited by broncophan; 01-07-2007, 07:49 AM.
              My 3 favorite teams:
              1.The Denver Broncos
              2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
              3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

Working...
              X