The pats Are Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pats Are Flat

Robert Kraft: 'I don't feel like we've done the greatest job the last few years' in the draft (nfl.com)

Coming off last season, many of us let up on the team we often liked to bash. But over the last 2 seasons, some of the so called magic is gone. Brady and company had a sub par ending to their 2019 season, followed by Brady moving on, and culminated with a poor outcome in '20.

Reality set in. Then Free Agency came, and The pats did the unthinkable, at least from what we've seen since their highly successful last 2 decades. They went wild and crazy in signings. Some praise Belichick and his genius for spending a ton of cash, but does anyone really know if those transactions were wise, or desperate?? Regardless, it's not the "pats Way". It may work out, but receivers like Agholor and Bourne are not a guarantee of instant O. Sure, some good players (Judon), but again, who knows.

Then we see this article (above) stating how Kraft admits poor drafting over the last 4 years. Here's some of the article:

But the past four drafts have left New England shallow and without dynamic playmakers. The top picks in 2017 (Derek Rivers, Antonio Garcia) are no longer with the club. Two first-rounders in 2018 (Isaiah Wynn and Sony Michel) have had ups and downs and struggled to stay healthy. 2019 first-rounder N'Keal Harry is the subject of trade rumors. And last year's draft class was without a dynamic playmaker, even if some potential solid players dot that group.

Those early-round misses haven't been supplemented by Belichick unearthing as many later-round steals as he did in previous seasons. As such, the Pats roster was a wonky mess, Brady or no Brady.

Some of the draft misfires were the impetus behind the free agency moves this season. Third-round tight ends Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene struggling led directly to the signings of Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry.

So lets see...sub par drafting over an extended period, tons of money thrown at Free Agency, after losing Brady....even Gronk. Not saying the wheels are coming off, but I suggest this organization needs at least a new tire, maybe a rebalance. Having said that, the draft is still to come, and we will see if the FA party and the draft lead this team to contention, or maybe just make them look like almost every other organization, struggling to stay competitive.

I think there is no doubt that BB is great, but losing the GOAT would rock any organization. Look at the Broncos, PM = Automatic 12 win season to one of the worst franchises in the NFL since 2015

Brady took any argument there was about him not being the GOAT and threw it in the trash. Now, there will be questions about BB not being the GOAT based on current performance, unless he can revive the organization. I have my doubts. They spent too many years being cheap and cobbling together patchwork rosters, relying heavily on Brady to make it all work.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
      I think there is no doubt that BB is great, but losing the GOAT would rock any organization. Look at the Broncos, PM = Automatic 12 win season to one of the worst franchises in the NFL since 2015

Brady took any argument there was about him not being the GOAT and threw it in the trash. Now, there will be questions about BB not being the GOAT based on current performance, unless he can revive the organization. I have my doubts. They spent too many years being cheap and cobbling together patchwork rosters, relying heavily on Brady to make it all work.
      Watch him like a hawk!
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I agree. The thing that surprised me was that, once they sort of gave up on Brady, or at least showed less respect for him, they did not have a firm QB plan on the board.

And as great as BB has been, there was another segment of years I remember reading about, that were sub par draft wise. But you know the "worshippers", they will call every move he makes as genius and brilliant. If someone else did the same things, they might get a pass. But not Bill.

In the end, even though Brady was pretty much moving on, and in truth, not as productive as he once was, it did make BB look less genius like, and more ordinary. I will give him some space however, because of injuries but more so, the number of pats who opted out due to covid. Regardless, so far Brady looks more special than BB.

Comment

I had read an article at some point that JE and Matt Russell, over like a 6 or 7 year period, had drafted the 2nd fewest pro-bowlers & all-pros, or maybe it was the most amount of busts (drafted players that weren't w the org 3 years later, or a combination of those things). NE and Belichick being the worst. I don't know who all has lead player/personnel there in NE, but I'd assume it's a carousel with BB being the mainstay and probably making most of the decisions.

I think we'll come to see that Matt Russell was one of the worst holdovers and least capable members of the Broncos staff, and is hugely responsible for the Broncos current woes. I'm very thankful that he "retired."
          Last edited by Joshua2585; 04-01-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I had read an article at some point that JE and Matt Russell, over like a 6 or 7 year period, had drafted the 2nd fewest pro-bowlers & all-pros, or maybe it was the most amount of busts (drafted players that weren't w the org 3 years later, or a combination of those things. NE and Belichick being the worst. I don't kow who all has lead player/personnel there in NE, but I'd assume it's a carousel with BB being the mainstay and probably making most of the decisions.

I think we'll come to see that Matt Russell was one of the worst holdovers and least capable members of the Broncos staff, and is hugely responsible for the Broncos current woes. I'm very thankful that he "retired."
            No question, continuous poor drafting can seriously hurt a team. Conversely, top quality drafting keeps you solid, I think of an Ozzie Newsome, as one of the best in the biz when he was an active Exec.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

No question, continuous poor drafting can seriously hurt a team. Conversely, top quality drafting keeps you solid, I think of an Ozzie Newsome, as one of the best in the biz when he was an active Exec.
              No doubt. Harbaugh is a pretty great coach in his own right. Ozzie is awesome. As the saying goes, "It takes two to tango." They definitely have a good formula in Baltimore.

Comment

Working...
              X