Deshaun Watson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Locutus View Post

The Judge in the Arbitration ruled Watson was guilty of everything that was alleged. The NFL had no choice but to appeal, 6 games is a joke.
    Six games is a joke. That’s why they should have just imposed their own penalty in the first place.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Six games is a joke. That’s why they should have just imposed their own penalty in the first place.
      It ain't over 'til it's over." ~ Yogi Berra

Goodell appointed former New Jersey AG, Peter Harvey, to hear the NFL's appeal. If the NFL gets a tougher penalty for Watson, expect a lawsuit.

We shall see.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

It ain't over 'til it's over." ~ Yogi Berra

Goodell appointed former New Jersey AG, Peter Harvey, to hear the NFL's appeal. If the NFL gets a tougher penalty for Watson, expect a lawsuit.

We shall see.
        An appeal by the NFL wouldn’t even be necessary if they just imposed their penalty in the first place.

This backwards approach likely makes a lawsuit more winnable for the NFLPA. If the NFL had just done the right thing to begin with, a lawsuit by the NFLPA would be less plausible.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

An appeal by the NFL wouldn’t even be necessary if they just imposed their penalty in the first place.

This backwards approach likely makes a lawsuit more winnable for the NFLPA. If the NFL had just done the right thing to begin with, a lawsuit by the NFLPA would be less plausible.
          The NFLPA bargained for a 3rd party arbiter to "curb" Goodell's control. Robinson was a Federal Judge, so she strongly considers precedent and policy in her findings. You could argue this case as unprecedented, but she cited the NFL's precedent of overreaction to public influence. Whether anyone wants to believe that or not, this is closer to how the justice system operates where discretion is concerned. It doesn't matter though, because the league office controls the appeals process. She's well aware that any findings of guilt on her part open the door for the league to do as they please. My guess would be that they go for the 12 games they initially offered him, because a year suspension would further incentivize him to sue the league (not that he won't anyway). If that happens, he could play while the legal process plays out. I would imagine that Goodell appointed another 3rd party to give the appearance of integrity with the intent of the CBA. I could be wrong of course, but that'd be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

The NFLPA bargained for a 3rd party arbiter to "curb" Goodell's control. Robinson was a Federal Judge, so she strongly considers precedent and policy in her findings. You could argue this case as unprecedented, but she cited the NFL's precedent of overreaction to public influence. Whether anyone wants to believe that or not, this is closer to how the justice system operates where discretion is concerned. It doesn't matter though, because the league office controls the appeals process. She's well aware that any findings of guilt on her part open the door for the league to do as they please. My guess would be that they go for the 12 games they initially offered him, because a year suspension would further incentivize him to sue the league (not that he won't anyway). If that happens, he could play while the legal process plays out. I would imagine that Goodell appointed another 3rd party to give the appearance of integrity with the intent of the CBA. I could be wrong of course, but that'd be my guess.
            It appears the first judge ignored the policy in favor of perceived precedent.

The policy is for a minimum of 6 games, barring mitigating circumstances.

She would have been well within policy to give a harsher penalty, which he deserves. She basically equated Watson to Roethlisberger. 25 violations of the PCOC is a helluva lot more than 2.
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

It appears the first judge ignored the policy in favor of perceived precedent.

The policy is for a minimum of 6 games, barring mitigating circumstances.

She would have been well within policy to give a harsher penalty, which he deserves. She basically equated Watson to Roethlisberger. 25 violations of the PCOC is a helluva lot more than 2.
              I don't disagree with that at all. I just don't get too worked up about it, and my posts would get deleted if I went into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus View Post

The Judge in the Arbitration ruled Watson was guilty of everything that was alleged. The NFL had no choice but to appeal, 6 games is a joke.
                I expected a year-minimum.

I remember when he came into the league, I thought he was the classiest QB, an outstanding human. Had the hard luck story on I think one of the Monday night games about how the NFL bought his family a home and he was doing the same for someone else at that time. Then all this crap happened and I was just disappointed. No other words really, but 6 games is a joke.
                sigpic
                Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

I expected a year-minimum.

I remember when he came into the league, I thought he was the classiest QB, an outstanding human. Had the hard luck story on I think one of the Monday night games about how the NFL bought his family a home and he was doing the same for someone else at that time. Then all this crap happened and I was just disappointed. No other words really, but 6 games is a joke.
                  Think Goodell & Co. know that, and the suspension will be longer most likely at least twelve games. The current process is the result of an agreement between the league and the union. It has more steps and, consequently, takes longer. We shall see fairly soon, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Think Goodell & Co. know that, and the suspension will be longer most likely at least twelve games. The current process is the result of an agreement between the league and the union. It has more steps and, consequently, takes longer. We shall see fairly soon, I think.
                    Yes, wonder what will become of him. Will it be enough of a deterrent that there are no further accusations going forward.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

Yes, wonder what will become of him. Will it be enough of a deterrent that there are no further accusations going forward.
                      Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X