X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by GMTD View Post

Do you think both parties had in mind that as Watson had not played last season the effective suspension is more like 27 games?
    Maybe .....

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

Maybe the party that got off light sees it that way. Since he wasn't suspended last season, I don't see how it applies. I'm sure a point will be argued here as to why it should apply. I'm still disappointed, maybe because he was my favorite QB in the league before the accusations.
    That's understable. I used to really like him too.

It could be argued that both parties (the League and Watson) have got off lightly - or at least expect to do so. Watson, obviously; but also the League. They will get one of their stars back before the end of the season and hope that in time people will forget all of this ever happened.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied

Do you think both parties had in mind that as Watson had not played last season the effective suspension is more like 27 games?
    Maybe the party that got off light sees it that way. Since he wasn't suspended last season, I don't see how it applies. I'm sure a point will be argued here as to why it should apply. I'm still disappointed, maybe because he was my favorite QB in the league before the accusations.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Still a bit on the light side when compared to previous suspensions.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

This is closer to what the punishment should have been. Would have preferred more.

Goodell should have bigfooted and imposed a harsher penalty himself. He was probably trying to avoid a lawsuit from the NFLPA though.
    Yep.

10 characters

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    NFL and Watson agree in principle on an 11 game suspension and a $5M fine, which Watson will pay to charity.

His first official game for the Browns will be against...the Houston Texans.
    Still a bit on the light side when compared to previous suspensions.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    NFL and Watson agree in principle on an 11 game suspension and a $5M fine, which Watson will pay to charity.

This is closer to what the punishment should have been. Would have preferred more.

Goodell should have bigfooted and imposed a harsher penalty himself. He was probably trying to avoid a lawsuit from the NFLPA though.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

Yes, wonder what will become of him. Will it be enough of a deterrent that there are no further accusations going forward.
    Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Think Goodell & Co. know that, and the suspension will be longer most likely at least twelve games. The current process is the result of an agreement between the league and the union. It has more steps and, consequently, takes longer. We shall see fairly soon, I think.
    Yes, wonder what will become of him. Will it be enough of a deterrent that there are no further accusations going forward.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

I expected a year-minimum.

I remember when he came into the league, I thought he was the classiest QB, an outstanding human. Had the hard luck story on I think one of the Monday night games about how the NFL bought his family a home and he was doing the same for someone else at that time. Then all this crap happened and I was just disappointed. No other words really, but 6 games is a joke.
    Think Goodell & Co. know that, and the suspension will be longer most likely at least twelve games. The current process is the result of an agreement between the league and the union. It has more steps and, consequently, takes longer. We shall see fairly soon, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Originally posted by Locutus View Post

The Judge in the Arbitration ruled Watson was guilty of everything that was alleged. The NFL had no choice but to appeal, 6 games is a joke.
    I expected a year-minimum.

I remember when he came into the league, I thought he was the classiest QB, an outstanding human. Had the hard luck story on I think one of the Monday night games about how the NFL bought his family a home and he was doing the same for someone else at that time. Then all this crap happened and I was just disappointed. No other words really, but 6 games is a joke.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied

It appears the first judge ignored the policy in favor of perceived precedent.

The policy is for a minimum of 6 games, barring mitigating circumstances.

She would have been well within policy to give a harsher penalty, which he deserves. She basically equated Watson to Roethlisberger. 25 violations of the PCOC is a helluva lot more than 2.
    I don't disagree with that at all. I just don't get too worked up about it, and my posts would get deleted if I went into it.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

The NFLPA bargained for a 3rd party arbiter to "curb" Goodell's control. Robinson was a Federal Judge, so she strongly considers precedent and policy in her findings. You could argue this case as unprecedented, but she cited the NFL's precedent of overreaction to public influence. Whether anyone wants to believe that or not, this is closer to how the justice system operates where discretion is concerned. It doesn't matter though, because the league office controls the appeals process. She's well aware that any findings of guilt on her part open the door for the league to do as they please. My guess would be that they go for the 12 games they initially offered him, because a year suspension would further incentivize him to sue the league (not that he won't anyway). If that happens, he could play while the legal process plays out. I would imagine that Goodell appointed another 3rd party to give the appearance of integrity with the intent of the CBA. I could be wrong of course, but that'd be my guess.
    It appears the first judge ignored the policy in favor of perceived precedent.

The policy is for a minimum of 6 games, barring mitigating circumstances.

She would have been well within policy to give a harsher penalty, which he deserves. She basically equated Watson to Roethlisberger. 25 violations of the PCOC is a helluva lot more than 2.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied

An appeal by the NFL wouldn’t even be necessary if they just imposed their penalty in the first place.

This backwards approach likely makes a lawsuit more winnable for the NFLPA. If the NFL had just done the right thing to begin with, a lawsuit by the NFLPA would be less plausible.
    The NFLPA bargained for a 3rd party arbiter to "curb" Goodell's control. Robinson was a Federal Judge, so she strongly considers precedent and policy in her findings. You could argue this case as unprecedented, but she cited the NFL's precedent of overreaction to public influence. Whether anyone wants to believe that or not, this is closer to how the justice system operates where discretion is concerned. It doesn't matter though, because the league office controls the appeals process. She's well aware that any findings of guilt on her part open the door for the league to do as they please. My guess would be that they go for the 12 games they initially offered him, because a year suspension would further incentivize him to sue the league (not that he won't anyway). If that happens, he could play while the legal process plays out. I would imagine that Goodell appointed another 3rd party to give the appearance of integrity with the intent of the CBA. I could be wrong of course, but that'd be my guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X