Path To The Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path To The Draft

I thought we could share a draft thread, pertaining to all that is happening in the league.

My first comment relates to the slightly changing mock drafts of late. I see Daniel Jeremiah's new mock has the top 3 going as Edge, and 4 of the first 7. There's more of course in the first round. Then I notice WRs starting to show up a little more than before. Clearly teams needing receivers are looking more seriously of late, especially GB and KC. It's not likely but GB and KC could select 4 WRs in round one alone.

OTs are still high in the mix. And a few Dbacks will be fun to watch on day one of the draft.

From a GM perspective, I am always interested in what teams do in round one, with more than one selection. So far there's the The Jets, Giants, Houston, Packers and KC with 2 selections, and Phily with 3. If any of these GMs hit a 1st round home run, that will be a significant improvement long term. I see Phily making good strides next season if Hurts shows some improvement and these 3 selections are well chosen.

Look forward to your comments!

What is the updated list of Denver's draft picks?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      What is the updated list of Denver's draft picks?
      This is what I keep seeing, but I thought there were compensatory picks as well.

Round 2: No. 64 (from Rams)
      Round 3: Nos. 75, 96 (from Rams)
      Round 4: Nos. 115, 116 (from Seahawks)
      Round 5: No. 145 (from Lions)
      Round 6: No. 206 (from Bucs through Jets and Eagles)
      Round 7: No. 232

Comment

This should be the latest on compensatory picks, but I will keep looking:

NFL announces 39 compensatory picks for 2022 draft (msn.com)

According to this we do not have any such picks.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          This should be the latest on compensatory picks, but I will keep looking:

NFL announces 39 compensatory picks for 2022 draft (msn.com)

According to this we do not have any such picks.
          Third round comp picks bumped Denver’s fourth round picks back a couple of spots.

Comment

I expect Paton to trade down quite a bit. We currently only have 3 draft picks next year. I think they'll be someone he likes at 64 but with 75, 96, 115 or 116 is where I expect to see him start moving back for additional picks both this year and next.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
              I expect Paton to trade down quite a bit. We currently only have 3 draft picks next year. I think they'll be someone he likes at 64 but with 75, 96, 115 or 116 is where I expect to see him start moving back for additional picks both this year and next.
              I forgot they were so low in the tank in '23, and I agree, they will likely add a pick or two, using '22 draft capital. BUT Paton might even move up if a player we love is still there.

Comment

I forgot they were so low in the tank in '23, and I agree, they will likely add a pick or two, using '22 draft capital. BUT Paton might even move up if a player we love is still there.
                I can see a trade up if there's a player getting close to 64. Especially if it's an OT. But that's pretty much it. I expect at least two or three trades down.

I think, given that Paton has addressed a lot of positions in free agency, this is going to be a draft that will be used to build our depth and for future picks.

It may not be an exciting or flashy draft, but one that will allow Paton to pretty much take the best players where he picks.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

I can see a trade up if there's a player getting close to 64. Especially if it's an OT. But that's pretty much it. I expect at least two or three trades down.

I think, given that Paton has addressed a lot of positions in free agency, this is going to be a draft that will be used to build our depth and for future picks.

It may not be an exciting or flashy draft, but one that will allow Paton to pretty much take the best players where he picks.
                  I like Paton a lot, and I really like how he has stated he will be adding Oliners and Dbacks before this offseason ends. Therefore, I can see him moving up a little in round two to land one of those positions if a player drops a little more than they should.

Comment

I know we have our QB now, but listening to Sam Howell today made me really like the guy. Very mature, and respectful. I hope this guy finds a good situation next month.

Comment

It's not the same buzz for us fans this year, given we do not have a first rounder, but it will grow in intensity in the last week, Regardless, how about this cool trade...

Saints add second 2022 first-round draft pick in multi-pick trade with Eagles (nfl.com)

The New Orleans Saints once traded their entire draft for Ricky Williams. Twenty-three years later, they're shipping a large package of picks to pick up some instant, high-value capital.

The Saints are acquiring the 16th- and 19th-overall picks and a sixth-round selection (No. 194) in this month's draft in a trade with the Eagles, the teams announced Monday. New Orleans is sending Philadelphia the 18th-overall pick as part of a package that also includes a 2023 first-rounder, a 2024 second-rounder, a 2022 pick from the third round (No. 101) and a seventh-round selection (No. 237) in April's draft.

To simplify matters: New Orleans now has two 2022 first-round picks (Nos. 16 and 19), while Philadelphia also has two first-round picks (Nos. 15 and 18) this year.

While the sheer amount of picks might make heads spin, the logic is sound with this move. New Orleans adds two immediate first-round picks in exchange for one and a future first-rounder the Saints will hope lands near the back end of the 2023 draft (because, you know, they expect to win).

Philadelphia avoids allocating guaranteed money for three first-round selections in one draft, instead spreading those cap hits over multiple drafts while also recouping additional capital in this draft and future drafts.

The Saints' 2023 first-round selection heading to the Eagles could end up being spent on or used to move up and select a quarterback if things with Jalen Hurts go south. If not, Philadelphia will again have multiple first-rounders to continue adding talent wherever it desires.

New Orleans, meanwhile, will have draft capital to use to add first-round talent on rookie deals, hoping to reverse at least some of its salary structure by shifting toward becoming a younger team. Adding a first-round selection also allows the Saints more flexibility with their picks, giving them the option to take the best player available over draft need if desired.

~~~~~~~

Pretty cool draft pick trade! I was looking forward to seeing Phily use those 3 mid round firsts this year, but now they have 2 firsts in back to back years. Meanwhile The Saints are looking to score a little bigger in '22. But there's a lot to this trade. Might be a win win in the end.

Comment

A little over 2 weeks to go. Again, not quite the same as a typical year where we have a 1st rounder. But I still love the draft and all that comes with it. But I'd advise folks to stay close, because one never knows when a trade could alter our draft, in a moment. But I enjoy the strategy regardless of where we select. And draft trades are always interesting.

Of course QBs are always part of the drama, and tend to be reached for once the big day comes. I always find it amusing how some so called experts have mock drafts with only a couple of QBs in round one, and none in the top 10. It could happen, but seldom does it. On the other hand, the draft also brings out some conservative choices, especially in the top tier of the draft, given the risk and the importance of high level draft picks. The OTs are always a wise choice, if credentials are solid. And there is a tendency to use higher picks on pass related positions - QB, OT, CB, Edge, and even WR these days.

Comment

Here's Daniel Jeremiah's latest top 50 draftees. As you know, this is linked with the draft but not likely highly indicative of the selections made, given the need to choose positional needs over pure talent. Although the top tier will likely be a closer match.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2022 NFL Draft prospect rankings 3.0

By the time we select a player, which of these folks would you like to see wearing a Broncos uniform this season? It may not be any of them, but it's a good list.

For me, I still prefer OT, Edge and CB as the most likely initial picks for us.

Comment

Here's Daniel Jeremiah's latest top 50 draftees. As you know, this is linked with the draft but not likely highly indicative of the selections made, given the need to choose positional needs over pure talent. Although the top tier will likely be a closer match.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2022 NFL Draft prospect rankings 3.0

By the time we select a player, which of these folks would you like to see wearing a Broncos uniform this season? It may not be any of them, but it's a good list.

For me, I still prefer OT, Edge and CB as the most likely initial picks for us.
                            In view of the fact Denver’s first pick is number sixty-four at the moment, are you suggesting Paton will trade up?

Interesting how DJ has two QBs in the top thirty-two and a total of four QBs in the top fifty.

Didn't see any TEs in his top fifty although one had dropped just out. Nine Edge guys, five Corners and four Backers.

Seven Tackles in his top fifty with Faalele dropped out. Be interesting if he was there at sixty-four.

Five DTs in his list and two RBs with one each just outside.

Really hope Paton & Co. stay true to their board and take BPA. At some point in their nine picks, need to draft a TE, a Corner, a RB, a DT and a Backer, not necessarily in that order. There are still a lot of good UFAs unsigned.

They've got the guys in the weight room and gym right now and are starting to see what it looks like they've got. If a good Right Tackle prospect they like is there without reaching, they'll probably pick one. We shall see.
                            Last edited by samparnell; 04-16-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

In view of the fact Denver’s first pick is number sixty-four at the moment, are you suggesting Paton will trade up?

Interesting how DJ has two QBs in the top thirty-two and a total of four QBs in the top fifty.

Didn't see any TEs in his top fifty although one had dropped just out. Nine Edge guys, five Corners and four Backers.

Seven Tackles in his top fifty with Faalele dropped out. Be interesting if he was there at sixty-four.

Five DTs in his list and two RBs with one each just outside.

Really hope Paton & Co. stay true to their board and take BPA. At some point in their nine picks, need to draft a TE, a Corner, a RB, a DT and a Backer, not necessarily in that order. There are still a lot of good UFAs unsigned.

They've got the guys in the weight room and gym right now and are starting to see what it looks like they've got. If a good Right Tackle prospect they like is there without reaching, they'll probably pick one. We shall see.
                              This type of list overlaps with a mock draft but does not typically align with a mock draft for good reason. This is one (qualified) person's take on the value/skill of the entire draft, and yes, it is essentially a BPA list at that. But teams don't all go BPA as a rule. Often they prefer BPA at position of need. As an example, if the BPA was a WR in your first selection, and you have the best WRs in the league, you will likely go for another player/position of need.

Therefore to answer your question, I suspect some of these players will be available at 64. But I will extend the offer to anyone responding to consider us moving up a little, with only a small loss of draft capital, if one of these folks was within close range of our first selection.

Ideally I would be offering a top 100 list, but because this was a current assessment of talent, I thought I'd use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X