Bruce Arians Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Arians Retires

This crazy off-season continues to provide entertainment.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bruce-arian...to-succeed-him

I guess there was some truth about Brady not getting along too well with Bruce Arians. Really hope the rumors about Brady and Sean Payton teaming up in Miami aren’t true.

Comment

Something about this makes you wonder what Brady had to do with it. He had to at least know Arians was going to leave the coaching job. No way would they try to get him back and then surprise him. The power of the super stars is significantly greater than other players. Not just salary.

Comment

Todd Bowles appointed HC of the Bucs

Also the Bucs have offered Gronk a 1 year deal. I really don't see Brady jumping ship.

Comment

So, the Bucs didn't have to interview any other candidates? Bowles gets the job, no questions asked? I thought teams had to meet certain interview requirments.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
            So, the Bucs didn't have to interview any other candidates? Bowles gets the job, no questions asked? I thought teams had to meet certain interview requirments.
            Are they supposed to interview the token minority candidate before hiring the actual minority candidate?
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I don't understand your question. I am not sure why you need to interview others if you hire a black coach, from within. It's exactly right. He happens to be black, but he happens to be a coach they want to run their team. Given the circumstance, this is just about perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I don't understand your question. I am not sure why you need to interview others if you hire a black coach, from within. It's exactly right. He happens to be black, but he happens to be a coach they want to run their team. Given the circumstance, this is just about perfect.
                I thought teams were required to interview at least 2 minority candidates, regardless if they promoted someone from within. Maybe they did, I don't know. I haven't seen or heard about them interviewing anyone else.

I get that they want more diversity amongst head coaches, and I am certainly for that. But I don't agree with having to do token interviews if you want to hire/promote a candidate of one race and not having to for another. The rules should apply to everyone and every candidate equally.
                Last edited by sra84; 04-02-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Are they supposed to interview the token minority candidate before hiring the actual minority candidate?
                  So they don't have to before hiring a minority coach but they have to before hiring a coach who isn't a minority?

Equality means the interview and hiring process should be the same for every team looking to hire/promote a head coach, regardless of the candidate's race.

And that's my opinion on every job hiring process...not just in sports.

I am all for more diversity. I just don't agree with there being different steps needed to be taken for different candidates. It should be the same for all.
                  Last edited by sra84; 04-02-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I thought teams were required to interview at least 2 minority candidates, regardless if they promoted someone from within. Maybe they did, I don't know. I haven't seen or heard about them interviewing anyone else.

And so what if they promote from within. If they wanted to promote a coach who wasn't a minority, they'd have to interiew other candidates. It just seems like there are 2 seperate set of rules for different races in the hiring process.

I get that they want more diversity amongst head coaches, and I am certainly for that. But I don't agree with having to do token interviews if you want to hire/promote a candidate of one race and not having to for another. The rules should apply to everyone and every candidate equally.
                    As I understand it....The Rooney Rule and anything associated with it, is meant to at least make minority candidates more "visible", given how one sided the stats are against minority coaches. Given the number of minority players to choose from if they were interested in coaching, and given the fact that so many minority coaches have been endorsed for a head coaching job, there is clearly a gap in what is occurring in the selection process. I happen to really like Mike Tomlin, but he should not be one of the very few HCs in a league with 32 teams.

So if Bowles, a minority Coordinator, with Tampa, is the right person for the job, I totally understand him been selected, no matter the process. It meets all standards set. I think most of us know that rules have their flaws, but the premise that is guiding the selection criteria arose from a very legit concern. No way should there be so few minority HCs in these times. I don't know what the number might be, but my gut tells me they could easily have a handful more....easily. Based on merit.

In the end, the process may not be popular nor even that good, but my experience with inequities is that you must start somewhere. In time things will relax, but that won't happen unless the numbers make some sense. And by that I don't mean it has to be 50/50. It means that when we look at the list of HCs, it does make sense. Clearly there are more Mike Tomlins out there. I hope so, because he's probably in my top 3 favs in the league. But I like Mike Tomlin because of who he is and how he goes about his job. He's a cool guy and one I am sure most players would want to play for.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 04-02-2022, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

As I understand it....The Rooney Rule and anything associated with it, is meant to at least make minority candidates more "visible", given how one sided the stats are against minority coaches. Given the number of minority players to choose from if they were interested in coaching, and given the fact that so many minority coaches have been endorsed for a head coaching job, there is clearly a gap in what is occurring in the selection process. I happen to really like Mike Tomlin, but he should not be one of the very few HCs in a league with 32 teams.

So if Bowles, a minority Coordinator, with Tampa, is the right person for the job, I totally understand him been selected, no matter the process. It meets all standards set. I think most of us know that rules have their flaws, but the premise that is guiding the selection criteria arose from a very legit concern. No way should there be so few minority HCs in these times. I don't know what the number might be, but my gut tells me they could easily have a handful more....easily. Based on merit.

In the end, the process may not be popular nor even that good, but my experience with inequities is that you must start somewhere. In time things will relax, but that won't happen unless the numbers make some sense. And by that I don't mean it has to be 50/50. It means that when we look at the list of HCs, it does make sense. Clearly there are more Mike Tomlins out there. I hope so, because he's probably in my top 3 favs in the league. But I like Mike Tomlin because of who he is and how he goes about his job. He's a cool guy and one I am sure most players would want to play for.
                      I get that. I just don't agree that you can skip interviews to hire/promote one candidate but you have to in order to hire/promote another. But, I do understand the reasoning. Although, if the interviews are to make more minority candidates visible, then being able to skip the interviews doesn't exactly help. Just my opinion.

And I'll leave it at that. Appreciate your input.
                      Last edited by sra84; 04-02-2022, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I get that. I just don't agree that you can skip interviews to hire/promote one candidate but you have to in order to hire/promote another. But, I do understand the reasoning. Although, if the interviews are to make more minority candidates visible, then being able to skip the interviews doesn't exactly help. Just my opinion.

And I'll leave it at that. Appreciate your input.
                        The bolded part is what makes this a better place. I thank you for that.

I've expressed my sentiments before but I do not like the current process to some degree, where teams clearly were never interested in the minority candidate they interviewed, but got their pass for conducting it. I think what the league was saying, via The Rooney Rule, is that we know many of you are just going through the motions, but other than forcing you to select the minority candidate, we will at least use the opportunity to promote those individuals, for potential selection at another time. As I stated, resolving inequities has to start somewhere, sometime, and admittedly the initial processes are not always logical to all involved. It's turning the key and trying to get some spark.

Comment

Thread cleaned.
                          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

In 2021 the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions.

Did the Bucs interview any external minority candidates before appointing Bowles head coach?

If not, the Bucs broke a league hiring rule and Bowles had an unfair advantage over other candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFJB View Post
                              In 2021 the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions.

Did the Bucs interview any external minority candidates before appointing Bowles head coach?

If not, the Bucs broke a league hiring rule and Bowles had an unfair advantage over other candidates.
                              So, what?

Is the league not allowed to exercise some discretion on the matter?

Again, were they supposed to interview the token minority candidates before hiring the actual minority candidate?
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                              X