Marty S of The Chargers Fired (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N.O.Bronco
    Thats pretty harsh of san diego, wasnt Dallas like really intrested in him if he left or got fired? Pretty cruel to wait until they hired someone else.

The San Diego Chargers screwed everyone in that deal....they lost Wade Phillips to Dallas and now Marty can't go there...if they had just done it earlier, SD might have been able to keep him, and Marty would have a new home.
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Here is the way it appears to me - SD lost their OC and DC, which meant that next year would require much more from their head coach, and the feeling was that Marty is not that good of a HC to basically run the team with two new coordinators. Therefore, they felt they needed to get a strong HC. It seemed strange to me that he did not even wear headphones on the sidelines.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by Broncomaniac PG
        The San Diego Chargers are perrenial losers. It is clear that Marty was fired on the whim of A.J. Smith, another loser. What more can Marty have done?...he got them to the playoffs and amassed a winning record. Being a hard core Broncomaniac, I have no love for the chargers...but I think their front office personnel are full of s***, particularly A.J. Smith. Look for the Chargettes to choke one more time in the playoffs...as always. They will probably come up with some recycled head coach, and have a losing season. The fools should have kept Schotty! now let them eat cake !

Broncomaniac PG
        Palo Alto,Ca.
        How's that lobotomy recovery coming??? A.J Smith has only locked up one of the most talented rosters in football through HUGE drafts in the last three years, two seasons of which we took the division. Thanks for showing just how little you know, though your opinion is noted for the playground record.

Comment

Originally posted by BoltsOwnU
          How's that lobotomy recovery coming??? A.J Smith has only locked up one of the most talented rosters in football through HUGE drafts in the last three years, two seasons of which we took the division. Thanks for showing just how little you know, though your opinion is noted for the playground record.
          True. Unfortunately, not many real quality HCs are willing to come into situations in which the GM has as much influence as Smith has. This was a huge management screw-up. No spin can change that. And any way you look at it Smith is behind it. He hamstrung your team by waiting this long to seal the deal.

There are a handful of re-treads available. But I don't know who they are going to bring in that will be better than Marty. Much as I don't like the guy, he was a good coach. I looked at this season for the Bolts as similar to the 96 Broncos who lost to Jax. Now you get a new O-Coord, D-Coord, HC. New playbooks. New philosophies. Coaches that don't know the players. Gotta select a coach and coordinators. They gotta come in, evaluate the team, and get ready for the draft. Sounds like a recipe for disaster on a team that was a potential SB contender.
          Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Hm...I have to say that I believe the move is a little classless considering they said Schottenheimer would have his job. However, I can see WHY they did it, considering they lost both OC and DC so Marty would have to get a new staff. Might as well just get a new coach as well.

I think that AJ Smith was able to amass a lot of talent, and the President believed that he could replace a coach easier than a guy who got all that talent.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
            2. Taxes
            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

I loled when i found out about this!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                This is really messed up what they have done.

They fire him AFTER teams have already hired coaches. Fired after a 14-2 season? That is really messed up. Schottenheimer is a darn fine coach and I hope that the Browns FO gets him back into Cleveland to do something!
                maybe he can help you get back to the playoffs so you can lose in the first game...he's great at that haha
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
                  True. Unfortunately, not many real quality HCs are willing to come into situations in which the GM has as much influence as Smith has. This was a huge management screw-up. No spin can change that. And any way you look at it Smith is behind it. He hamstrung your team by waiting this long to seal the deal.

There are a handful of re-treads available. But I don't know who they are going to bring in that will be better than Marty. Much as I don't like the guy, he was a good coach. I looked at this season for the Bolts as similar to the 96 Broncos who lost to Jax. Now you get a new O-Coord, D-Coord, HC. New playbooks. New philosophies. Coaches that don't know the players. Gotta select a coach and coordinators. They gotta come in, evaluate the team, and get ready for the draft. Sounds like a recipe for disaster on a team that was a potential SB contender.
                  actually spanos should have fired marty after the 05 season....spanos had the chance at perfect timing back then, yes the timing is off, but the result is great, cause marty's a choker, like this whole board pretty much kept saying throughout his tenure in sd...and now you guys want to spin like he's not haha...it's hilarious
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok, since it seems that we took seven pages to agree that Marty had been fired, its time to ponder: Who on earth is his replacement?

Imagine Denny Green...Cardinals to the Chargers
                    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdavey
                      maybe he can help you get back to the playoffs so you can lose in the first game...he's great at that haha
                      You guys went 14-2. You rarely go 10-6 much less 14-2.

Who's idea was it to take 10 carries away from L.T.? Marty or Cam?

Coaches get the blame but they should also get the credit. It can work just one way.

Comment

• Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                        Ok, since it seems that we took seven pages to agree that Marty had been fired, its time to ponder: Who on earth is his replacement?

Imagine Denny Green...Cardinals to the Chargers
                        I heard on the news tonight that they are heavily pursuing Pete Carroll.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

• Originally posted by Denver Native
                          I heard on the news tonight that they are heavily pursuing Pete Carroll.
                          Wasnt Miami, too? I always thought Pete would be a USC guy till he dies.

(Extra credit for the rhyme?)
                          Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

• Classless is berating an organization based on opinions. But i wont hold it against any Broncos fans as it is expected(some anyways).

For those of you intelligent enough to perceive situations in proper context( I.E. I best not judge because i dont have all the facts) There was a darn good reason we fired Marty. We did not in any way intend to wait a month to screw Marty over as many of you choose to believe. Marty was retained in order to keep continuity in the Organization especially knowing we were going to lose Phillips and Cam.

If you are familiar with the HC's job description you would know that it is the Coachs job to preserve continuity in his coaching staff. What this means is that the Head coach has the right of refusal concerning his staff, with the exception of those interviewing for an HC position. We were set to promote from within for Cam and Wades replacements. But Marty allowed his assistants(Cam & Wades replacements) to seek promotions with other franchises and then opted to bring in his brother who had no 3-4 experience whatsoever. Basically Marty screwed the organization, not the otherway around. He went directly against what was asked of him and let his assistants (Chud and Manusky) walk, knowing full well that Cam and Wade might get HC positions.

Marty and AJ's issues go back to when John Butler died and Marty tried to get full control, knowing it was Butlers wish that AJ take over for him. Anyways before you judge and throw stones you might show enough repect for yourself to have all the facts before deciding to unknowingly sabotage your own character.

Comment

• Marty's led the Chargers to 14-2, best record in the nfl. But he gets fired after all the head coaching positions are filled.

"He went directly against what was asked of him and let his assistants (Chud and Manusky) walk, knowing full well that Cam and Wade might get HC positions."

So that's why he was fired, that and his plans of bringing his brother in? That's what I have a hard time with.

I believe in Shanahan's coaching ability and his integrity to know that whatever he does, he does it for the good of the team, and management and the fans support him in his decisions.

I guess the Chargers management and fans don't believe as much in Marty's coaching ability nor his integrity to do whats best for the Chargers, despite leading them to a 14-2 season, winning a coach of the year award in 2004, and making the Chargers a better team than before he got there. It's one thing if he took over and did a bad job, like Bellichek did with the Browns. But he's made the Chargers better, yet his ability and integrity are still in question.

There's a team where the owner doesn't have much confidence in his coaches so that he practically handcuffs them ... the Raiders.

Well, I guess we'll see how much better the Chargers are under Norv Turner, and how much continuity that move will bring. I just hope he doesn't get fired after a 14-2 season, or even a more likely 9-7 first season.

Comment

Working...
                              X