The Fireing of Marty Schottenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fireing of Marty Schottenheimer

As all know by now, Marty Schottenheimer was fired as head coach of the San Diego Chargers on February12 with the term "dysfunctinal suitation" being used by owner Dean Spanos regarding a fude between Shottenheimer and GM AJ Smith.
    As a Chargers' ticket holder, I'd like the o[pinions of Broncos' fans on this strange decision by SD. I respect the opinions of Broncos' fans, and when the teams do not play one another, I root for the Broncos.
    One SD source said the Chargers waited until all other jobs were filled so Marty could not find another job in time for the 2007 season.
    Some say because 4 assassents left for other jobs, and because Schottenheimer was going to interview his brother,Curt, for an assasstent job lead to the dismissel.
    Word was out of San Diego, that if the Chargers did not go "deep into the playoffs" a change would be made and the rumor hit full speed after the Patroits defeated the Chargers in a Divisional playoff.
    I ny opinion, the Chargers should have fired Marty,if they were going to,before Wade Phillips left to take the Dallas job as he was rumored to be the choice if and when Schottenheimer was let go.
    Now the fans face Norv Turner,Ron Rivera or Mike Singletery and the rumor of Pete Carroll.
    It won't be Carroll, as he wants full control and seeing who won the last battle for control.
    So, what's up in Denver regarding this story?
    Interested in your thoughts.
    "But that's just my opinion. "Of course I could be wrong".
    thesith/John

Originally posted by thesith2001
    As all know by now, Marty Schottenheimer was fired as head coach of the San Diego Chargers on February12 with the term "dysfunctinal suitation" being used by owner Dean Spanos regarding a fude between Shottenheimer and GM AJ Smith.
    As a Chargers' ticket holder, I'd like the o[pinions of Broncos' fans on this strange decision by SD. I respect the opinions of Broncos' fans, and when the teams do not play one another, I root for the Broncos.
    One SD source said the Chargers waited until all other jobs were filled so Marty could not find another job in time for the 2007 season.
    Some say because 4 assassents left for other jobs, and because Schottenheimer was going to interview his brother,Curt, for an assasstent job lead to the dismissel.
    Word was out of San Diego, that if the Chargers did not go "deep into the playoffs" a change would be made and the rumor hit full speed after the Patroits defeated the Chargers in a Divisional playoff.
    I ny opinion, the Chargers should have fired Marty,if they were going to,before Wade Phillips left to take the Dallas job as he was rumored to be the choice if and when Schottenheimer was let go.
    Now the fans face Norv Turner,Ron Rivera or Mike Singletery and the rumor of Pete Carroll.
    It won't be Carroll, as he wants full control and seeing who won the last battle for control.
    So, what's up in Denver regarding this story?

My thoughts are that this is a duplicate thread in the wrong forum
    sigpic

Comment

Well at least he made a lot of money, so he does not have to worry where is next meal is coming from.

But I would have kept him. Sorry for the what if situation, but if the chargers did not have those big play drops against the pats, I think it would have been SD in the superbowl. He did a great job in SD, some times things like this happen, the Cults did not get rid of Tony, and peyton when they kept on losing over and over. Big mistake. If he came back a second year, he might of not had a record like he had this past year, but at least he has history with his players, and knows what to expect from them. Unless the curse is real

But that is me.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thesith2001
        As a Pats fan my thoughts are that AJ Smith has the worst leadership skills of any GM in the league. I can't imagine a GM who needs an intermediary to talk to his HC and won't bother to explain what the rift is all about when Marty repeatedly asks him.

I also can’t understand an organization that offers Marty a 4.5 million dollar one-year extension with only 1 million guaranteed. That’s unheard of. What an insult to a guy with over 200 victories!

Face it dude, your Bolts have big time problems in the Front Office.

Mein angenommenes Yankee ist Johnny Damon

Comment

When I first heard Marty got fired I was like

NO F*CKING WAY
          & I still am

Now, to put aside my dislike for the Chargers for a moment:

What type of GM would make an asinine move such as firing a coach AFTER the coordinators & assistants leave. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Even with all the talent the Bolts still have, it all comes down to coaching & San Diego will have to learn a WHOLE new system altogether. They have taken AT LEAST a step back or two IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Raider
            When I first heard Marty got fired I was like

NO F*CKING WAY
            & I still am

Now, to put aside my dislike for the Chargers for a moment:

What type of GM would make an asinine move such as firing a coach AFTER the coordinators & assistants leave. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Even with all the talent the Bolts still have, it all comes down to coaching & San Diego will have to learn a WHOLE new system altogether. They have taken AT LEAST a step back or two IMO.
            If they try and throw Norv Turner or Ron Rivera down the fans might revolt.
            Yes, Marty was not the man to get this team, or any team, to the "next playoff step",but at least he could get you there while Turner can not.
            You also cannot justify a rookie head coach (Rivera).
            At any rate, Marty was not going to be back in 2008, most knew that, but now, the logical replacements are gone. Unless we look at a "one year fix"....
            thesith/John

Comment

Originally posted by PatsCrowEater
              As a Pats fan my thoughts are that AJ Smith has the worst leadership skills of any GM in the league. I can't imagine a GM who needs an intermediary to talk to his HC and won't bother to explain what the rift is all about when Marty repeatedly asks him.

I also can’t understand an organization that offers Marty a 4.5 million dollar one-year extension with only 1 million guaranteed. That’s unheard of. What an insult to a guy with over 200 victories!

Face it dude, your Bolts have big time problems in the Front Office.
              I agree. Some "know nothing" fans are already thumping their chests for the "rematch" with the Patroits--one idiot going so far as to "..."they will be sorry they did this to us..." seems some are not facing reality and already acting like 14-2 can be repeated or even 16-0. PLEASE.
              Thanks for the input. Chargers made mistakes you canot make against a good team(Patroits) you cannot let that team(Patroits) up if you have them down.
              thesith/John

Comment

The Chargers fans seem to think that anyone can come in and coach this team, since they're so loaded with Pro Bowlers. If that were true, then Spanos can put names in a hat and pull out someone like 13 year old Timmy Smith from Malcolm X Middle School, who I just picked out of my hat. Losing candidates in my drawing included Vince Lombardi's corpse, the Easter Bunny, Carrot Top, my left nut, and The Justice League. But naturally, any one of those think tanks could've coached this greatest collection of talent since the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

No team has won the year they received an entirely new staff. Tampa had their defense from year's before. Dallas had their offense and took two years. It just doesn't happen. So they have taken a major step back and only the replacement can fix it for 2008. If not, I shrug my shoulders and move on.
                Last edited by DevilSpawn; 02-17-2007, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Hope you find a job Marty :wave:

Comment

Schottenheimer is a very good coach.

I'm glad that San Diego hired Norv Turner because everywhere he has been a head coach he's been consistent - at failing. So, I believe that San Diego will fail under Norv Turner, he will find a way and I am glad. They deserve it.
                    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                      Schottenheimer is a very good coach.

I'm glad that San Diego hired Norv Turner because everywhere he has been a head coach he's been consistent - at failing. So, I believe that San Diego will fail under Norv Turner, he will find a way and I am glad. They deserve it.
                      well you'd know about failure.

scottenheimer is a very good teacher who also fails to teach his players discipline, and who creates a lack of mental toughness, and like all of his other jobs , has now again been discarded, he's the biggest nfl playoff failure of all time, i hope the browns hire him back after they fail yet again in 07.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                        has now again been discarded
                        Yea, that 14-2 record wasn't enough.

I mean, damn, that just goes to show how that owner and GM are. They want perfection and the human race isn't perfect. Norv Turner will fail because he can't improve off a 14-2 record. In fact, I don't think anyone can other than the coach that brought about the 14-2 record because he could build off it. But, a whole new scheme. Starting over from scratch. A new system. No, they aren't going to improve off it and the Chargers GM and Owner are going to be upset.
                        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                          Yea, that 14-2 record wasn't enough.

I mean, damn, that just goes to show how that owner and GM are. They want perfection and the human race isn't perfect. Norv Turner will fail because he can't improve off a 14-2 record. In fact, I don't think anyone can other than the coach that brought about the 14-2 record because he could build off it. But, a whole new scheme. Starting over from scratch. A new system. No, they aren't going to improve off it and the Chargers GM and Owner are going to be upset.
                          Marty's a great coach, and he makes teams better, as seen by their winning records under him. I found this post about Marty's playoff losses from a different forum ...

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=26906

A lot of the losses are very closely contested games, so it's not like the teams weren't prepared. Also, a lot of the losses are just players not executing during the game ... fumbles, etc. Sometimes, he's just faced superior teams ... the AFC Dominant Bills. And some players just have magic ... Elway, Brady ... that's tough to overcome. It took the best quarterback in the league with one of the best offenses in the nfl to just barely beat the Pats this year, and if Brady had enough time, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Brady comeback.

Charlie Brown's right, the Chargers lost a great coach and they're gonna feel it next season.

Comment

Working...
                          X