X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeCharles Bentley UPDATE

Browns say Bentley will miss 2007 season

3:33 p.m.

Brown center LeCharles Bentley, whose lifelong dream was to play for the Browns, will most likely miss the 2007 season and Browns general manager Phil Savage indicated there’s a chance Bentley’s career might be over.

Savage said during a press conference on Tuesday that Bentley will probably need another surgery on his torn left patella tendon and that if he does, he will miss the 2007 season. He said Bentley is rehabbing in Arizona and will know by May or June if he needs the surgery.

He said the Browns will carry Bentley on the roster through the 2007 season, regardless.

“I think we certainly owe LeCharles the opportunty to see where he’s going to be,” said Savage. “This time next year I think we’ll have a much clearer picture in terms of is he really a legitimate piece of the puzzle here or has the injury been so devastating that he may never play again.

“I think that’s something we’ll know clearly this time a year from now.”

Bentley, signed to a 6-year, $36 million free agent contract, suffered the torn patella tendon on the first contact drill of the 2006 training camp and underwent surgery soon after.

Savage said the Browns are proceeding as though Bentley will not play in 2007, saying it will be a “bonus” if he does.

Bentley, from St. Ignatius and Ohio State, said recently that he definitely will play again. Following his initial surgery, he suffered a life-threatening staph infection in the knee that had to be surgically removed. The staph infection may have caused the current damage that will probably need to be repaired.

In other Browns news, Savage said:

* The Browns extended running back Jason Wright’s contract for one year through 2008.

* Cornerback Gary Baxter, who suffered two torn patella tendons, has exceeded doctor’s expectations for where he’d be at this point.

* While the Browns staff is at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis this week, a company that specializes in infection prevention will coat the Browns facility with a glaze to help cut down on staph infections.

* Right tackle Ryan Tucker has been at the Browns facility meeting with the new coaches and plans to participate in the off-season program. He hopes to play for the Browns in 2007 after leaving the team because of a mental disorder in 2006.

* The Browns have $30 million in cap room and will be aggressive in free agency.

* The team has stepped up negotiations with center Hank Fraley now that it's apparent Bentley won't be around for 2007.

* There's no sense of urgency to re-sign free agent safety Brian Russell.

* Look for the Browns to go after Buffalo cornerback Nate Clement in free agency.

* The Browns won't tip their hand on who they'll pick with the No. 3 or No. 4 pick in the draft.

* They haven't committed to Charlie Frye as their starting quarterback, saying only that he's the incumbent.

— Mary Kay Cabot, [email protected]

Link
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

If the Browns didn't have bad luck...

....they wouldn't have any luck at all!

Comment

I think it's probably physically impossible for the Browns to catch a break.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Im sorry about that.

Comment

That SUCKS for the Browns.......Bentley had such promise and now this

Comment

Poor browns...
            sigpic

Comment

Latest Browns disaster: Winslow's surgery more extensive
              Feb. 22, 2007
              CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- Kellen Winslow underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee last month, a more extensive procedure than was initially revealed and one that will require a longer recovery.
              saw that earlier today
              sigpic

Comment

Thats really to bad Bentley signed a contract for his favorite team, and than gets hurt in practice, Lifelong injury as well. Really sucks.... Probably the best center in the game when healthy... hopefully he comes back sometime in his career, but I doubt it...

Comment

Working...
                X