Interesting article on R. Moss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on R. Moss

Nearly 10 months after the infamous "chicken marsala" quote, ex-offensive coordinator Tom Walsh finally said something Oakland Raider fans wholeheartedly believe.

"[Randy Moss] lacked the work ethic and the desire to cultivate any skills that would compensate for what he was losing physically later in his career," Walsh said on Sunday.

After a sub-one-year tenure as Oakland's play-caller, fans of the Raiders wanted nothing more than for Walsh to simply disappear. After momentarily vanishing to his ranch in Idaho for five months, though, Walsh was called upon by the Boston Globe to put in his two cents on Moss, the ex-Raiders' wideout.

Moss, who was shipped to New England during the 2007 draft for a fourth-round pick, turned out to be a rather touchy issue for the controversial former coordinator.

"He told me last year, 'I'm too old to practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but I'm not too old to play on Sunday,'" Walsh recalled. "Did they start a senior league?"

Last season, as a part of the NFL's worst offense, the 6-foot-4, 210-pound Moss started in 13 contests, but he caught just 42 passes for 553 yards and three touchdowns.

"He looked like a world-beater in a preseason game against the Lions," Walsh added. "I never thought he was difficult to coach, but we expected him to be a complete receiver and he wasn't."

Despite running routes for an offense that threw just seven touchdown passes all season, sympathy for the 30-year-old is hard to come by.

Perhaps it was because Moss doesn't actually run the routes mapped out.

Walsh specifically recollected one such incident that occurred in Week 3 of the regular season.

"He runs a 9-[deep go]-route; Andrew Walter was at quarterback. [Walter] makes the play-fake and a huge hole opens up for Randy in the middle of the field, but he's running down the sideline. Walter nearly threw his arm out pulling the ball back. When Randy gets to the sidelines, Freddie Biletnikoff says, 'What were you doing?' Randy told Fred, 'I didn't feel like running the 6-route on the dirt part of the infield.' That's the Randy I coached."

Walsh, who was demoted to tight ends coach on Nov. 28 before his imminent release, became the scapegoat in Oakland from the beginning. Of course, most detractors were proven correct; the Walsh-Art Shell offense was old-fashioned, poorly designed and 100 percent ineffective. Yet, 77-year-old owner Al Davis saw enough from Moss to realize that he wasn't a part of the solution.

"His whole game in Minnesota was outside the numbers," Walsh added to the criticism. "For him to run shallow crosses and in-routes was new for him. Initially, he showed all the interest but later on...I don't know."

I know. He gave up.

"There were some games where out of 28 plays he'd have 13 or 14 busts. Wrong routes. Wrong reads. Dogging it. Whatever."

In the end, the Raiders didn't lose Randy Moss to New England.

They lost 50 percent of Randy Moss to New England.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/a...oss150507.html

Randy Moss sucks!! That's one player that needs to shut his mouth and actually EARN his paycheck for a change. I can't stand guys that take plays off and quit on their teams.

On the other side of that, I hope he does much of the same in NE. I hope that guy takes plays off and screws things up for the Pats. They are long overdue for some of that.

Comment

These remarks and comments on Moss doesn't surprise Me. I'm sure he now feels he's on a SB team, and will give more effort. BUt he's still a bum. He's still a loser, and a guy that has done nothing in this NFL. He'll never make the HoF, and he's nothing more than a past thought as far as being a 'great' WR. He's a loser that just wants to coast and keep his paychecks. Whats he going to do with a smart QB behind center when he's needed to run the right routes? Moss isn't smart enough. He just wants to run deep and make the 'sports center' TDs. But he's not good enough for that. He's a failure by every definition of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
        These remarks and comments on Moss doesn't surprise Me. I'm sure he now feels he's on a SB team, and will give more effort. BUt he's still a bum. He's still a loser, and a guy that has done nothing in this NFL. He'll never make the HoF, and he's nothing more than a past thought as far as being a 'great' WR. He's a loser that just wants to coast and keep his paychecks. Whats he going to do with a smart QB behind center when he's needed to run the right routes? Moss isn't smart enough. He just wants to run deep and make the 'sports center' TDs. But he's not good enough for that. He's a failure by every definition of the word.
        Randy has done nothing in the NFL?? What a dumb statement.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
          Randy has done nothing in the NFL?? What a dumb statement.
          what has he accomplished? how many SBs has he won? Pro-bowls have gotten him big pay checks.. great. What has he done?

He will NEVER be considered one of the best to play the game because he does NOTHING to improve himself. He doesn't work, he doesn't try, he thinks he's too good to practice and feels he's to important to be a team guy. He runs his own routes because it suits him best. He takes plays off when he's not the focal point.

He is the definition and example of being over-hyped. I think its funny when I see NE fans actually feel they got something special in Moss. What they have is a special kind of jerk.

Comment

what has he accomplished? how many SBs has he won? Pro-bowls have gotten him big pay checks.. great. What has he done?

He will NEVER be considered one of the best to play the game because he does NOTHING to improve himself. He doesn't work, he doesn't try, he thinks he's too good to practice and feels he's to important to be a team guy. He runs his own routes because it suits him best. He takes plays off when he's not the focal point.

He is the definition and example of being over-hyped. I think its funny when I see NE fans actually feel they got something special in Moss. What they have is a special kind of jerk.
            Marino never won a Super Bowl, does that mean he didn't accomplish anything?? Randy set the record for touchdowns by a rookie. Through his first 6 years, he was on pace to break many of Jerry Rice's records. Through those first 6 years, he never had less than 1,200 yards receiving, and failed to score 10 times just once. I wouldn't say he hasn't accomplished anything.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
              Marino never won a Super Bowl, does that mean he didn't accomplish anything?? Randy set the record for touchdowns by a rookie. Through his first 6 years, he was on pace to break many of Jerry Rice's records. Through those first 6 years, he never had less than 1,200 yards receiving, and failed to score 10 times just once. I wouldn't say he hasn't accomplished anything.
              Exaggeration is just that.. exaggeration. I consider Randy to be nothing but a loser. I kept hearing how he was greater than Marvin Harrison. I kept hearing how he was going to be the greatest of all time. I kept hearing how he was the best to play the game, and how no one in the NFL could compare. I kept hearing how he was going to blow Harrison away. All I've seen is a guy that had a ton of potential that didn't want to work for anything, and still doesn't want to work for anything. He may have accomplished some nice marks in those first few years...but he's proven that he doesn't have what it takes to be a real competitor in this league.

As far as some of the best and greatest WRs in this league and league's history... he hasn't accomplished anything.

Comment

Exaggeration is just that.. exaggeration. I consider Randy to be nothing but a loser. I kept hearing how he was greater than Marvin Harrison. I kept hearing how he was going to be the greatest of all time. I kept hearing how he was the best to play the game, and how no one in the NFL could compare. I kept hearing how he was going to blow Harrison away. All I've seen is a guy that had a ton of potential that didn't want to work for anything, and still doesn't want to work for anything. He may have accomplished some nice marks in those first few years...but he's proven that he doesn't have what it takes to be a real competitor in this league.

As far as some of the best and greatest WRs in this league and league's history... he hasn't accomplished anything.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with what your saying. I agree that he doesn't work as hard as he should, I just don't understand how you can say he hasn't accomplished anything.

Comment

I think he was off to a good start (statistically) the first years of his career but geez man, apparently he won't run the routes called. CURRENTLY thats less impressive than a mediocre rookie whos at least giving his all.

I'm of the opinion Moss has let his superiority slip out of reach. If you're not constantly improving, you will be left behind.

Comment

I don't particularly like the guy,but he was clocked at 4.3 in his Pats workout,so the wheels are still in place.He pulls any of that crap on the Pats,I gurantee you his stay there will be very short. He wouldn't have the guts to tell Belichick he's going to take a couple of practices off a week to save his legs.He knew what he was getting into when he signed with NE,so I expect he's going to work his butt off to be in the best shape of his career.He gave up like 5 million just this year to play for them,which is nuts for anyone.

Comment

Good Stuff,you hit it on the nose Rav :thumb:

Comment

"He told me last year, 'I'm too old to practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but I'm not too old to play on Sunday,'"

See this is what happens when Al Davis handcuffs his coaches by not giving them the power to make changes in personell, or in effect, not being able to cut a player. Aaron Brooks said it wasn't Art Shell's fault, that the players were just a sorry bunch, and in Moss' case, he was right.

Glad to see he permitted Kiffin to get rid of ... er, trade ... Moss.

Comment

Originally posted by Corndog
                          I don't particularly like the guy,but he was clocked at 4.3 in his Pats workout,so the wheels are still in place.He pulls any of that crap on the Pats,I gurantee you his stay there will be very short. He wouldn't have the guts to tell Belichick he's going to take a couple of practices off a week to save his legs.He knew what he was getting into when he signed with NE,so I expect he's going to work his butt off to be in the best shape of his career.He gave up like 5 million just this year to play for them,which is nuts for anyone.
                          You're right on the money except for the 4.3 forty. Belichick said that never happened.

Mein angenommenes Yankee ist Johnny Damon

Comment

I think Moss still has the skills to put up 1300+ and 13+ tds. Some people say he lost a step or hes too old. I think he just wasn't motivated and gave up on half the plays like the article says. Hes still one of the most naturally talented WRs in the league. As far as him going down in history I think his numbers will put him somewhere in the top 15 wrs of all time. Right now hes already 21st all time in yardage with 10,700 receiving yards and 5th all time in receiving tds with 101 tds. I think Oakland just killed his motivation to play the game. In Minn, he still gave up on plays, but he at least put up great numbers every year.
                            2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by BroncsSB#3
                              In Minn, he still gave up on plays, but he at least put up great numbers every year.
                              He's proven with both the Raiders and Vikings that he does not give 100%. What makes you think that will change now? From what it sounds like, he is afraid or unwilling to make the tough catches. Until he proves otherwise, he's an aging reciever that lacks the skills to be a number 1 IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X