Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphins QB Culpepper escorted off field by security

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dolphins QB Culpepper escorted off field by security

    Dolphins QB Culpepper escorted off field by security

    June 8, 2007
    MIAMI (TICKER) -- Daunte Culpepper took another step toward leaving the Miami Dolphins for good on Friday.

    Escorted off the practice field by a member of the club's security staff, Culpepper said he would not agree to a trade.

    While he will not accept a trade, Culpepper likely will be released in the coming days.

    "I will not agree to any trade," the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback told the Miami Herald. "I definitely expect to be released."

    It already has been a whirlwind week for Culpepper, who was told by the Dolphins that they were going "in another direction" at quarterback after the club acquired Trent Green from the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday.

    Culpepper showed up at the Dolphins minicamp practice Friday. According to a report in the Miami Herald, Culpepper said the Dolphins told him during a meeting in front of the whole team he had no future with the team and would not be able to practice with the team, other than individual drills.

    Culpepper left the field midway through the practice, escorted by Stu Weinstein, the Dolphins security chief.

    Acquired from the Minnesota Vikings, Culpepper's first season in South Beach in 2006 was riddled by injuries, as he was limited to five games due to knee problems suffered while still in the "Twin Cities". The former Central Florida standout underwent reconstructive surgery on the knee midway through the 2005 campaign.

    Culpepper now will join the likes of Jay Fiedler, Gus Frerotte and Joey Harrington as signal-callers who could not overcome the shadow left by Hall of Famer Dan Marino.
    Very tacky way for the Dolphins to handle the situation IMO.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

  • #2
    That's even worse than what the Titans did to McNair last year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Why do they insist on humiliating the players..Its not like they are a threat..why does all of that nonsence need to be involved? I'm sure if they asked him nicely to leave he would have

      Comment


      • #4
        That is some bad treatment they are giving him.

        I don't understand why they treat people this way? It is supposed to be a Professional Football League. So, treat them like Professionals. Not this rude, uncivil behavior towards players.
        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

        The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pipes
          That's even worse than what the Titans did to McNair last year.
          Not really because McNair WAS the Titans for his whole career and their leader during their glory days. Culpepper was just a Viking QB who played sparringly for the fish.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DevilSpawn
            Not really because McNair WAS the Titans for his whole career and their leader during their glory days. Culpepper was just a Viking QB who played sparringly for the fish.
            well they have the QB they wanted...no need for Culpepper now
            Tony G


            The Chefs

            Comment


            • #7
              You have to think of it as a corporation. When you fire a player from a large corporation, you don't go and allow him towork at his desk for 10 days. Corporations have learned that if you do that, people want to take revenge. They do things that could cause the company money. So its very common that when a corporation fires and employee, they have a security officer escort them to their desk to remove all their belongings, and escort them out right THEN..on the spot.

              This isn't like other NFL teams that have, in a sense, fired Culpepper. They don't want him to cause problems on the field, whether that be word of mouth, spreading rumor, or anything else. Could it be handled differently? Probably. Maybe. But if they feel his presence on the practice field is a distraction, and could cause problems with the moral or concentration of the team, how do you have him leave? Do you put that on the HC?? Thats not the HC's job to hire/fire/ and remove people from the practice field. This way you take all the pressure off the coaching staff from having to step in and be the bad guys, while keeping it 'business.'

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DevilSpawn
                Not really because McNair WAS the Titans for his whole career and their leader during their glory days. Culpepper was just a Viking QB who played sparringly for the fish.

                Past accomplishments don't play into this. Bottom line is that he deserves more respect than what the Dolphins are giving him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                  You have to think of it as a corporation. When you fire a player from a large corporation, you don't go and allow him towork at his desk for 10 days. Corporations have learned that if you do that, people want to take revenge. They do things that could cause the company money. So its very common that when a corporation fires and employee, they have a security officer escort them to their desk to remove all their belongings, and escort them out right THEN..on the spot.

                  This isn't like other NFL teams that have, in a sense, fired Culpepper. They don't want him to cause problems on the field, whether that be word of mouth, spreading rumor, or anything else. Could it be handled differently? Probably. Maybe. But if they feel his presence on the practice field is a distraction, and could cause problems with the moral or concentration of the team, how do you have him leave? Do you put that on the HC?? Thats not the HC's job to hire/fire/ and remove people from the practice field. This way you take all the pressure off the coaching staff from having to step in and be the bad guys, while keeping it 'business.'
                  Good post. This is exactly how it works in the "professional" world. Security escorts disgruntled former worker away so former worker does not spread discord and possibly go postal. What the braintrust(s) do not take into account is that this secretive manner of dealing with former employees generally leads to lower morale among remaining employees. I imagine the NFL is not much different from corporate America in that regard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bowlensbest3233
                    Good post. This is exactly how it works in the "professional" world. Security escorts disgruntled former worker away so former worker does not spread discord and possibly go postal. What the braintrust(s) do not take into account is that this secretive manner of dealing with former employees generally leads to lower morale among remaining employees. I imagine the NFL is not much different from corporate America in that regard.
                    Yep as I have stated before....the NFL is a business and it doesn't
                    matter how people see it...this is the way some teams operate.

                    Just like Trent...he knew he was going to get traded to the Fins.It just took
                    longer than he wanted but the two teams were conducting business.
                    At least he was allowed and encouraged to work out with the team.

                    I have a feeling that Daunte will find a new home!
                    Tony G


                    The Chefs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Interesting read. While i don't think culpepper is getting a "fair shake" on this whole thing, the NFL is a business, and i think thats how the fins are lookin at it. Its merely a business move they're making, and so culpepper should just move on, and at least attempt to do business elsewhere.
                      "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

                      Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<
                        Past accomplishments don't play into this. Bottom line is that he deserves more respect than what the Dolphins are giving him.
                        Oh no, I completely agree with you. Culpepper was unfairly treated like crap. I just compared the situation with McNair being the face of the Titans vs. Culpepper playing less than a season. Either way, it was not fair.

                        Heck, the business thing is correct, though. I worked for a multi billion dollar company and they send security guards to escort you off the premises, even if your last day was filled with balloons, confetti, a pinata and a birthday cake. So I understand, as messed up as it is. Business is messed up period.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                          You have to think of it as a corporation. When you fire a player from a large corporation, you don't go and allow him towork at his desk for 10 days. Corporations have learned that if you do that, people want to take revenge. They do things that could cause the company money. So its very common that when a corporation fires and employee, they have a security officer escort them to their desk to remove all their belongings, and escort them out right THEN..on the spot.

                          This isn't like other NFL teams that have, in a sense, fired Culpepper. They don't want him to cause problems on the field, whether that be word of mouth, spreading rumor, or anything else. Could it be handled differently? Probably. Maybe. But if they feel his presence on the practice field is a distraction, and could cause problems with the moral or concentration of the team, how do you have him leave? Do you put that on the HC?? Thats not the HC's job to hire/fire/ and remove people from the practice field. This way you take all the pressure off the coaching staff from having to step in and be the bad guys, while keeping it 'business.'
                          That's the thing though.....they have NOT fired him.

                          They've now told him that they want to trade him.........he says that he will not accept a trade anywhere, therefore he will be released. (or fired, in your anolagy)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DevilSpawn
                            Not really because McNair WAS the Titans for his whole career and their leader during their glory days. Culpepper was just a Viking QB who played sparringly for the fish.
                            I think it is MUCH worse what the Dolphins did.

                            The Titans pretty much locked McNair out of the weightroom......the Dolphins kicked Culpepper off of the field and had security escort him out-in front of a hellava lot of people including his teammates and coaches.

                            That is just plain humiliating and certainly can't help their image when it translates how they treat their players.....it will be interesting-to me at least to see how this affects their ability to sign free agents in future seasons.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think the best thing for Culpepper to do is bite the bullet, and work with the Dolphins to work out a trade that will benefit both the Dolphins and Culpepper. As he could stand to lose more money by being cut this late in the offseason than he would by restructuring for a team willing to trade for him. But that's if there is a team willing to trade for him.

                              We just don't know the circumstances involving Culpepper and the teams security, it could have been a number of things that could've happened....Including a temper tantrum from Culpepper himself.

                              But that's just it, we don't know. It could also mean absolutely nothing.......
                              Last edited by stnzed; 06-09-2007, 08:23 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X