Worst GM in football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst GM in football

Like many of you I detest the Chiefs. Unlike many of you, I live in this sports purgatory known as KC. About 2 weeks ago a local radio station (810AM--main sports talk station in town) did a segment on the worst GM in the 4 major sports. I'll confine it to football, since this is an NFL board. Their basic point of comparison was very generic--years without a playoff win. Carl Peterson, the Chiefs' GM, is now presiding over the Chiefs' as they go on 14 years without a playoff win. The only GM that they could find to trump that spectacular mediocrity in recent history (I think it was back 30 years) was Wes Unseld of Clippers at 18 years. I do not have the staff, time, or patience to do the research, so I'm just going off of what they said--does this qualify Peterson as the worst GM in football?

Note: I realize Millen is a buffoon, but take length of tenure into account in your comments as well.

Originally posted by Bowlensbest3233
    Note: I realize Millen is a buffoon, but take length of tenure into account in your comments as well.
    Very well, I will take tenure into account.

Millen should have been fired years ago!!

LOL - true though.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Oh God, I hope kmartin doesn't get read this thread, or we're all about to get told we have no idea what we're talking about and that we're making stuff up.

Carl Peterson is a moron. Why would you even consider a nobody like Brodie Croyle to be your starter, and the way the whole Trent Green hostage situation was handled was pathetic. The Chiefs are a very poorly managed team, and Lamar Hunt would not like it one bit (RIP ).

Comment

Carl Peterson has had his fair share of failure but this isn't even debateable.

Matt Millen is by far the worst GM.
        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ
          Oh God, I hope kmartin doesn't get read this thread, or we're all about to get told we have no idea what we're talking about and that we're making stuff up.
          I take it back, civility reigns.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
            Carl Peterson has had his fair share of failure but this isn't even debateable.

Matt Millen is by far the worst GM.
            nice sig LOL!!!

btw i agree with you and the rest of the fellas here that matt millen should hit the road if he can, he has one last year left to succeed, if not, i forsee a riot
            sigpic

Comment

I will say it....CP is an idiot...why can't the Hunt brothers see this?
              because the Chiefs have been filling the stadium for years,I would not be upset if they fired his dumb ass.
              Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Yes, Carl is an idiot. He has sunk below the classification of mediocre years ago.

IMO to compare him with Matt Millen is a gross misrepresentation. Millen is the poster child for mismanagement and illogical decisions. The man is a virtuoso.

Comment

both CP and Millen are 'tards...
                  Go Huskers.

Comment

The Packers GM. At least Detroit is currently headed in the right direction. The Packers had the opportunity to draft an impact player 2 years ago, instead they took a quarterback of the future while Favre still wasn't ready to give up his throne. Plus, the Packers always seem to end up late to the free agent party.

Comment

And here all this time, I thought Al Davis was the worst.
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
                        The Packers GM. At least Detroit is currently headed in the right direction. The Packers had the opportunity to draft an impact player 2 years ago, instead they took a quarterback of the future while Favre still wasn't ready to give up his throne. Plus, the Packers always seem to end up late to the free agent party.
                        I disagree 100% with that comment UA. And what are you talking about Detroits QB is 34 years old they have 9 wins in the past 2 years and passed on Brady Quinn and Joe Thomas in the draft. They have drafted something like 4 WRs int th past 5 years and what do they have to show for it, Nothing.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") <-------Post Peach in your sig if you want world domination

Comment

Originally posted by Broncomania96
                          I disagree 100% with that comment UA. And what are you talking about Detroits QB is 34 years old they have 9 wins in the past 2 years and passed on Brady Quinn and Joe Thomas in the draft. They have drafted something like 4 WRs int th past 5 years and what do they have to show for it, Nothing.
                          They have Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson to show for it. Passing on Calvin Johnson would have been ABSOLUTELY STUPID. Have you even seen this guy play? No really, have you seen him play? HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GUY PLAY? This guy was INSANE in college. Not only does he have the numbers in the combine, he has the numbers in college. Millen passing on Calvin Johnson would have been ridiculous. ANY GM passing on Calvin Johnson dropping to the 2nd pick would have been stupid.

Harrington, Mike Williams, that other loser, and Kevin Jones have not panned out. But somehow, someway, Millen had a fantastic draft this year that no one can blame him for screwing up. Taking Calvin Johnson and getting those 3 players in the 2nd round was fantastic maneuvering by Millen.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
                            They have Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson to show for it. Passing on Calvin Johnson would have been ABSOLUTELY STUPID. Have you even seen this guy play? No really, have you seen him play? HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GUY PLAY? This guy was INSANE in college. Not only does he have the numbers in the combine, he has the numbers in college. Millen passing on Calvin Johnson would have been ridiculous. ANY GM passing on Calvin Johnson dropping to the 2nd pick would have been stupid.

Harrington, Mike Williams, that other loser, and Kevin Jones have not panned out. But somehow, someway, Millen had a fantastic draft this year that no one can blame him for screwing up. Taking Calvin Johnson and getting those 3 players in the 2nd round was fantastic maneuvering by Millen.
                            UA first of all are you drunk because your scaring me a little. But anyway why would you pass on a 21 year QB who could be a leader and a motivator or A dominating OT who could add deph to the line. And another thing who is throwing to Millian a 34 QB who is too busy making dumbass predictions to practice. Calvin may be good but so were all the other "recievers" Millian Drafted. And of course he had the numbers in college thats what normally gets people drafted UA. In fact i will guarantee right now CJ will be a bust and you will be the first one crying and making excuses so well see and lay off the hard stuff UA, it will help you think logically.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") <-------Post Peach in your sig if you want world domination

Comment

Originally posted by Broncomania96
                              UA first of all are you drunk because your scaring me a little. But anyway why would you pass on a 21 year QB who could be a leader and a motivator or A dominating OT who could add deph to the line. And another thing who is throwing to Millian a 34 QB who is too busy making dumbass predictions to practice. Calvin may be good but so were all the other "recievers" Millian Drafted. And of course he had the numbers in college thats what normally gets people drafted UA. In fact i will guarantee right now CJ will be a bust and you will be the first one crying and making excuses so well see and lay off the hard stuff UA, it will help you think logically.
                              A rare prospect who ran a 4.3 40, great vertical, no history of breaking the law, great work ethic, he's huge to top it all off, and he had great numbers in college too... Yeah, I could definitely see where you could guarantee he'd be a bust.

As far as Joe Thomas goes, he would have been a great pick for them but I simply could not see why anyone would pass on Calvin Johnson. Scouts from around the league were not completely sold on Brady Quinn, the guy free falled WAY down the draft board as you saw. Besides, the Lions picked up a good Quarterback prospect in the 2nd round from Michigan State.

Comment

Working...
                              X