No announcement yet.

One player to build a franchise around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One player to build a franchise around.

Hypothetical situation time!

Let's say that at the end of last year, the owners all got together and decided to throw ALL the players back into the mix. Cancel all the contracts, forget free agents - we're having an ALL NFL draft.

My question is this: who would you choose in the first round if you had the first overall pick? The guy you pick in the first is the guy you're saying you want to build your franchise around - every other pick you make from then on will be somehow based on your decision.

Who's worthy of building a franchise around in the league, in your opinion?

I gotta believe that Palmer's the guy, but I could be accused of being a homer. So I'll take *drumroll, please* Reggie Bush. He's young, he's versatile, he's elusive, he's fast, and he's a winner.

Who do you take?
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Peyton Manning.

It's always nice to have a future HoF quarterback leading your team even if he has an enormous head.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
      Peyton Manning.

It's always nice to have a future HoF quarterback leading your team even if he has an enormous head.
      Yeah, but the thing you gotta remember is that the guy is 31. He's not going to be around for a long, long time. You sure you want to build your franchise around a 31 year old QB?
      HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic

Comment

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - very promising young player at a crucial position, and you are more likely to find a franchise QB later in the draft than a franchise LT.
        Last edited by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05; 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Hate to say it, but Tomilinson.
          Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
            Yeah, but the thing you gotta remember is that the guy is 31. He's not going to be around for a long, long time. You sure you want to build your franchise around a 31 year old QB?
            That's a good point.

I'll take the Peyton Manning of 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<
              D'Brickashaw Ferguson - very promising young player at a crucial position, and you are more likely to find a franchise QB later in the draft than a franchise LT.
              That's another good one. Ferguson came into his own in the second half last year, and I think a good tackle would be my second round pick.
              HEAR ME ROAR!
              sigpic

Comment

If I was more into the defense I would most definitely pick Julius Peppers or Champ Bailey.

Comment

if all of them get to start out as 22 year olds i'd vote LT brady jason taylor, champ, or peyton, possibly ray lewis if he's that young again.

in their current state, you have to think younger, tough call
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
                    Peyton Manning.

When starting with a new franchise, you have to put the best player at the hardest position on the field. I think Peyton Manning would be THE guy you could most definitely build around.

For those that are saying 'but he's 31'.... So what? Playing until 38 isn't exactly rare for a QB of his caliber. So this would give you 7 seasons with an elite behind center. When building a team, I want the hardest position to be filled with elite talent.

Comment

Tarik Glenn

Awesome LT who provides much needed protection of Peyton Manning.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. So I do not choose a hotshot QB, or a hotshot RB, or a snobby receiver. But an offensive tackle.
                      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Levi Jones... go ahead, call me a homer... I will laugh my way to having a LT allowing 0 sacks a season, and many SB victories.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
                          Hypothetical situation time!

Let's say that at the end of last year, the owners all got together and decided to throw ALL the players back into the mix. Cancel all the contracts, forget free agents - we're having an ALL NFL draft.

My question is this: who would you choose in the first round if you had the first overall pick? The guy you pick in the first is the guy you're saying you want to build your franchise around - every other pick you make from then on will be somehow based on your decision.

Who's worthy of building a franchise around in the league, in your opinion?

I gotta believe that Palmer's the guy, but I could be accused of being a homer. So I'll take *drumroll, please* Reggie Bush. He's young, he's versatile, he's elusive, he's fast, and he's a winner.

Who do you take?

for once, you're actually not being a homer-- palmer would be my choice as well (at least until i see what my boy jay cutler does this year-- i think he has potential to be as good as palmer, and he's not working on that repaired knee). . . obviously QB is the single most important position on the field. . . right now i see five elite QBs in the league, and palmer is the youngest of them-- but he's already playing at a very high level, and should only get better with age and experience. . . the one thing he hasn't really shown me is that he can put the team on his back and win big games when it matters, but i do think he's capable. . . he's certainly got ALL of the physical and mental tools, and i've seen some signs of him developing into a leader. . .

people will think i'm crazy, but vince young is a guy i'd give serious consideration to as well-- he's an unparalled physical talent at the position, and a proven winner who makes the guys around him better. . . i doubt reggie bush would even be in my top ten-- he's incredibly fun to watch, but he's a complimentary player IMO, not the kind of guy you can build a franchise around-- he's not even a fulltime starter at his position! maurice jones-drew out-produced reggie by 700+ yards and 9 touchdowns last year-- i would take MJD over reggie and not look back. . . .

julius peppers would be very high on my list as well. . . this is an interesting question-- let me think about it for a bit and i'll try to come up with a top ten list. . .
                          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

okay, here we go-- i didn't want to spend a ton of time on this, so i'm sure i've forgotten someone. . . but here goes. . .

1. carson palmer-- as previously explained. . .

2. julius peppers-- just a BEAST, pure and simple. . . ideal combination of size and speed, with disgusting athleticism. . . screams off the edge, and is good enough to consistently beat double teams-- really improved against the run this year as well. . . extremely disruptive, and causes turnovers-- the kind of defensive player that changes game plans. . . he's healthy and just entering his prime, and he keeps getting better. . .

3. vince young-- yea, i'd roll the dice on vince. . . he's the defiition of a winner and a leader, exactly the kind of guy you want in charge of your team-- i see more of elway's famed competitive drive in this kid than maybe anyone else in the league. . . combine that with his physical gifts, and you've got the potential for something special. . .

4. tommie harris-- another game-changer. . . when he's in the lineup, the bears have arguably the best D in the league-- when he's out, they're mediocre. . . harris reminds me of a young warren sapp, he's that kind of disruptive presence. . .

5. steven jackson-- second in the league in total yardage last season. . . he's the complete package-- big, strong, fast, and he showed his fantastic versatility by catching 90 passes out of the backfield. . . is still young with a lot of tread left on his tires, and has been a durable workhorse. . .

6. jamaal brown-- went to the pro bowl at left tackle his second year in the league (and first year playing the position). . . a tough, smart OL who's solid in both run blocking and pass protection. . . played the most important position on the line for one of the league's best offenses-- should just continue to get better, and better, and better. . . why take a tackle with 5-7 good years left when you can have one with 12?

7. demarcus ware-- another disruptive defender, an amazing athlete who still has a TON of upside. . . we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with this kid-- just wait until he REALLY understands how to play linebacker! we know what he can do in terms of pass rush, and he has shown flashes in coverage with an impressive nose for the ball. . . lots of big play ability, and he's young and healthy. . .

8. patrick willis-- yep, call me crazy. . . but i'm that confident in willis, who i think will be the best inside linebacker in the league within the next three years. . . fantastic physical skills combined with unbeatable intangibles-- quite simply, he lives to play football. . . i think he'll be a defensive captain for his entire career-- a ray lewis type of emotional leader, a true warrior. . . IMO he's the definition of a building block. . .

9. alex smith-- hasn't put up the big numbers, but look what he's had to work with. . when they get him some adequate protection to go with his new receivers, this kid is going to explode! last year, if you watched him you could see that the tools are there. . . tough, and extremely smart and hard-working-- he graduated college in three years, and showed an impressive learning curve last year. . . not the strongest arm, but he has the athleticism and intelligence to become a franchise QB-- has a long, bright future ahead of him. . .

10. d'brickashaw ferguson-- an extremely talented player at the second-most important position on a team. . . stepped in as a rookie and played at a high level, and should only get better. . . combines great feet with a long wingspan-- the perfect combination of physical traits for an elite pass protector. . . needs to improve his power and run-blocking, but that should come with time. . . a fantastic technician and student of the game. . .

people may think i'm nuts because i only have a few established players on that list, but if you make me a GM i'm thinking long-term, not looking to take a star in his prime who i can only get five or six good years from-- by the time i put all the necessary pieces around him, he may already be in decline! i'm looking at guys i can build around for the next decade or so, and mostly guys who play the highest-impact positions (QB, LT, pass-rusher). . .

a few who i considered but rejected. . .

frank gore-- great player, but i'm not going to base my franchise on a guy with those knees who plays as physical as he does. . .

shawn merriman-- we'll see if he's the same player without the 'roids. . . sure didn't look like it against new england! also one blunder away from a BIG suspension under the new no-nonsense commish. . .

marcus mcneil-- i still want to see if his back holds up long-term. . .

jay cutler-- have to see what he can do over more than five games first, but i fully expect him to be near the top of this list by the end of the coming season. . .

nick mangold-- an elite young player. . . has toughness and smarts to match his athletic ability, and plays with good technique. . . i think he'll be the best center in the league within a few years unless bentley comes back, but ultimately the position isn't AS important as OLT. . . i'd take him in a heartbeat, though. . .

drew brees-- a few years older than what i'm really looking for, and that shoulder. . .

larry fitzgerald-- is a star on the rise, has the ability to become an alltime great. . . not a position you can build a franchise around, though. . .

john henderson-- isn't quite as young as what i want, , but it was a tough choice. . .

kevin williams-- i never thought he was much against the run before they put pat williams next to him. . . maybe he's getting better, or maybe big pat is just clogging up everything and getting all the double-teams on running downs. . .
                            Last edited by dogfish; 06-25-2007, 02:33 PM.
                            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I would probably go with Carson Palmer. Ferguson would be a good pick as well. For me, it would be the best young LT, QB, or DT available.

Comment

Working...
                              X