Bears release Tank Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bears release Tank Johnson

Sports Illustrated is reporting as breaking news that the Bears have released troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/
    RIP Marquise Hill

Here's my adopted cheerleader (Patriots):

Finally. I wonder who'll pick him up, if anyone.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

WELL I am going to guess that we will have 5 threads on us picking him up, and another 3 on his release.

but he is a good player
      So far:
      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29
        WELL I am going to guess that we will have 5 threads on us picking him up, and another 3 on his release.

but he is a good player
        The bengals should pick him up he would fit in nicly there.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") <-------Post Peach in your sig if you want world domination

Comment

this might sound stupid but it kinda surprises me that they cut him

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
            It surprised me at first, i didnt expect them to cut him.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
              It's kind of like, why now? This DUI thing doesn't seem all that serious. Why didn't they cut him while he was in jail or something?

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae
                It's kind of like, why now? This DUI thing doesn't seem all that serious. Why didn't they cut him while he was in jail or something?

It was a DUI?? I thought he was just speeding.

Comment

Originally posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<
                  It was a DUI?? I thought he was just speeding.
                  I know it was speeding and i think he may had some alcohol in his system.....NFL Live is on in 2 minutes so i will see what they say.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

the bears may have told him he's off the team if he screws up ie probation, and he went and screwed up again, or they know he's about to get pacman'd by the commish
                    sigpic

Comment

from PFT:

The Chicago Bears have dumped defensive tackle Tank Johnson, only three days after he was stopped in Arizona on suspicion of driving a vehicle with alcohol in his system.

And, for a change, the team isn't trying to make the decision look like it was based on performance issues.

"We are upset and embarrassed by Tank's actions last week," said Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo. "He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't, and we have decided to move on." (And move out.)

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank: players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately, Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal."

Apparently, the Bears put Johnson on last-chance status in December, after he was arrested on gun charges. He later served 60 days in jail for violation of the terms of probation arising from a prior weapons charge, and Commissioner Roger Goodell slapped him with an eight-game suspension, which could have been reduced to six with good behavior.

It remains to be seen whether Johnson accepts the punishment, or whether he files a non-injury grievance, arguing that the team is not empowered to discipline a player for violations of the Personal Conduct Policy. However, paragraph 11 of the Standard Player Contract seems to allow teams to cut players whose actions reflect poorly on the franchise.

The Bears now are forced to find a replacement for Johnson. The Dolphins recently cut defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson, who might be inclined to join the team if he can avoid most if not all of training camp and the preseason. Since the Bears were planning to be without Johnson for at least the first six games of the regular season, the team might be willing to sign Wilkinson in September, and then work him into playing shape.

Johnson, a second-round pick in the 2004 draft, had been signed through 2008. He will initially pass through waivers. If unclaimed, he will become an unrestricted free agent.

He will still be required to serve his suspension, if he lands with a new team. His latest incident could also subject him to an additional suspension.

and yes, we will have approximately nineteen threads about denver picking him up by this time tomorrow. . . .

personally, i'm just going to ignore them-- other than perhaps the occasional snide comment. . . .
                      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

i cant wait till we sign him

go get em

sick em

get on teh phone now and call him up
                        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

And the downfall of the Bears continues. As if heading into next season with "Throwuponhimselfman" as their QB wasn't enough, now they've lost their number 2 DT. I bet they wish they would have re-signed Boone or Scott now.

Comment

Next stop: CFL
                            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlensbest3233
                              And the downfall of the Bears continues. As if heading into next season with "Throwuponhimselfman" as their QB wasn't enough, now they've lost their number 2 DT. I bet they wish they would have re-signed Boone or Scott now.

Fair point, but they did sign Anthony Adams and hopefully (2006 4th round pick) Dusty Dvoracek can step up for them. And Tommie Harris is healthy now - they'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X