Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bucs are getting ready to go after Jake the Flake

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bucs are getting ready to go after Jake the Flake

    Bucs take hard line regarding Plummer

    The QB could be hit hard in the pocketbook if he doesn't play in '07.
    By RICK STROUD
    Published June 22, 2007

    TAMPA -- The Bucs aren't going to let Jake Plummer stiff-arm them much longer.

    Plummer is subject to being fined for missing the Bucs' three-day mandatory minicamp that concluded Thursday, and indications are the team will ask him to repay about $7-million of a prorated signing bonus if he fails to play this season.

    Tampa Bay acquired the rights to the quarterback, 32, from the Broncos on March 3, prompting him to announce plans to retire. Bucs general manager Bruce Allen said Thursday he recently spoke to Plummer and the team still hopes he reports to training camp July 27.

    "You can't unilaterally retire as a player in the NFL," Allen said, "because you have a contract. He is under the same obligations as every player on the team.

    "It is no different than when Keenan McCardell didn't report to camp (in 2004) or when you see other players hold out."

    McCardell was ordered to repay $1.5-million of his signing bonus after being traded to the Chargers.

    Plummer has three years left on his contract and is scheduled to earn $5.3-million in 2007, most among the Bucs' quarterbacks and which counts against the salary cap. Plummer was the only one of 95 players who did not attend the minicamp.

    "We traded for him with the intent of him playing for the Buccaneers," Allen said. "He knows that, and we've been very clear what we see for him and his future. We'll just have to see if we have a meeting of the minds."

    Plummer has reiterated his decision to retire since the trade but hasn't filed papers with the league.

    If Plummer elects to play, the Bucs owe Denver a fourth-round pick in 2008. Otherwise, it becomes a seventh-rounder. Allen said the Bucs have not entertained the idea of trading Plummer.

    "The intent is the absolute same. We want him on our team," Allen said.

    "He's on our salary cap right now, and he missed minicamp. By contract, there's certain obligations a player has. We're going to have further talks with him."

    Allen wouldn't specifically address what sanctions they might seek.

    "Obviously, we haven't missed a beat with him not here," Allen said. "We're preparing for our season. The quarterback competition ... has been very lively, and we feel good with the players we have here. So we're not waiting for anybody."
    sigpic

  • #2
    I hope they get all they can from him/out of him.

    Jake needs to make up his mind-actually file the papers-if he is going to retire, fork over the 7 mil and get back to his raquetball and mountaineering in Idaho.

    If not, he needs to get his butt to camp and play.
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

    "You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

    Comment


    • #3
      Plummer's doing it right.

      ENjoy the off season, then at the last possible minute report to camp.

      Ain't nothing wrong with that at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
        Plummer's doing it right.

        ENjoy the off season, then at the last possible minute report to camp.

        Ain't nothing wrong with that at all.
        when he does that, we get a 4th rounder right? or did he have to report for this mini camp for that?


        "Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
        We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shawshank24
          when he does that, we get a 4th rounder right? or did he have to report for this mini camp for that?

          He would have to be on the roster for the entire season, or at least that's how I'm reading it.

          Plummer has all the cards here. If he does not report, he can stay retired, but he would likely have to repay some of his bonus. What he will probably do is wait until the last minute (literally), report, and hope to be cut, and that's only if he truly does not want to play anymore.

          It's actually a very smart buisness decision, and considering the NFL is a buisness first adventrue for the players, it's a common understanding.

          I hate to say it, but chalk up the idiot move to Shanahan for signing Jake to that contract, and then the Bucs for making the move to get him.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
            He would have to be on the roster for the entire season, or at least that's how I'm reading it.

            Plummer has all the cards here. If he does not report, he can stay retired, but he would likely have to repay some of his bonus. What he will probably do is wait until the last minute (literally), report, and hope to be cut, and that's only if he truly does not want to play anymore.

            It's actually a very smart buisness decision, and considering the NFL is a buisness first adventrue for the players, it's a common understanding.

            I hate to say it, but chalk up the idiot move to Shanahan for signing Jake to that contract, and then the Bucs for making the move to get him.
            The Bucs are indicating that this isn't likely to be the way it goes down.

            They have already said they intend to control his rights for the remainder of his contract (3 years). If they cut him, they give up that control.

            If he doesn't report, just as the story stated, they can go after the money. Since he hasn't filed his paperwork, he's not retired, and the Bucs have already successfully retreived money from non-reporting players in the past (Keenan McCardell), and in that case the player was traded.

            There is also the issue of 'tolling' in the NFL, which basically means if Plummer doesn't show up this entire year, the club still has three years left to gain the services of Plummer.

            If Jake thinks he can win this charade, more power to him, but my money's on the Bucs if he continues with his non-retirement retirement.

            What a "great" guy.

            Last edited by broncos_mtnman; 06-26-2007, 06:17 PM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
              Bucs take hard line regarding Plummer

              The QB could be hit hard in the pocketbook if he doesn't play in '07.
              By RICK STROUD
              Published June 22, 2007

              TAMPA -- The Bucs aren't going to let Jake Plummer stiff-arm them much longer.

              Plummer is subject to being fined for missing the Bucs' three-day mandatory minicamp that concluded Thursday, and indications are the team will ask him to repay about $7-million of a prorated signing bonus if he fails to play this season.

              Tampa Bay acquired the rights to the quarterback, 32, from the Broncos on March 3, prompting him to announce plans to retire. Bucs general manager Bruce Allen said Thursday he recently spoke to Plummer and the team still hopes he reports to training camp July 27.

              "You can't unilaterally retire as a player in the NFL," Allen said, "because you have a contract. He is under the same obligations as every player on the team.

              "It is no different than when Keenan McCardell didn't report to camp (in 2004) or when you see other players hold out."

              McCardell was ordered to repay $1.5-million of his signing bonus after being traded to the Chargers.

              Plummer has three years left on his contract and is scheduled to earn $5.3-million in 2007, most among the Bucs' quarterbacks and which counts against the salary cap. Plummer was the only one of 95 players who did not attend the minicamp.

              "We traded for him with the intent of him playing for the Buccaneers," Allen said. "He knows that, and we've been very clear what we see for him and his future. We'll just have to see if we have a meeting of the minds."

              Plummer has reiterated his decision to retire since the trade but hasn't filed papers with the league.

              If Plummer elects to play, the Bucs owe Denver a fourth-round pick in 2008. Otherwise, it becomes a seventh-rounder. Allen said the Bucs have not entertained the idea of trading Plummer.

              "The intent is the absolute same. We want him on our team," Allen said.

              "He's on our salary cap right now, and he missed minicamp. By contract, there's certain obligations a player has. We're going to have further talks with him."

              Allen wouldn't specifically address what sanctions they might seek.

              "Obviously, we haven't missed a beat with him not here," Allen said. "We're preparing for our season. The quarterback competition ... has been very lively, and we feel good with the players we have here. So we're not waiting for anybody."
              Not only is your post a dupe, but your inflammatory Jake comments are old at best.
              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tnedator
                Not only is your post a dupe, but your inflammatory Jake comments are old at best.
                Not only is your post a dupe (you've attacked me before concerning Jake), but I didn't change a thing in the article by adding any "comments."

                It's posted verbatim.

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Stupid what the Bucs are doing.

                  He stated he would retire. Yea, he hasn't filed his papers.

                  File his papers and if he has that money to pay it.
                  The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                  The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                    Not only is your post a dupe (you've attacked me before concerning Jake), but I didn't change a thing in the article by adding any "comments."

                    It's posted verbatim.

                    Where in that article does it say: "Jake the Flake"?
                    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                      Stupid what the Bucs are doing.

                      He stated he would retire. Yea, he hasn't filed his papers.

                      File his papers and if he has that money to pay it.
                      i dont think its stupid at all what the bucs are doing

                      he still is under contract and he has yet to sign the papers for retirement

                      this is a chess match not checkers between plummer, denver, & tampa. never thought you could play chess with 3 players but plummer has found a way to do it.

                      plummer has to make teh next move but his tired legs arent moving too fast these days.

                      retire or play makes no diff. to me. id like to see jake play for the bucs only to allow denver a higher pick.
                      sigpic

                      sig by B4B6..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                        Stupid what the Bucs are doing.

                        He stated he would retire. Yea, he hasn't filed his papers.

                        File his papers and if he has that money to pay it.
                        The Bucs have every right to play hardball with Jake. They traded away a draft pick for Jake and as such aquired the right to play hard ball. They would be crazy to not go after him for the money, because they will not only get cash, but they will also be able to credit any cash they receive against next years salary cap (or the season after they receive it), essentially raising their Salary Cap that year by the amount the collect.
                        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tnedator
                          The Bucs have every right to play hardball with Jake. They traded away a draft pick for Jake and as such aquired the right to play hard ball. They would be crazy to not go after him for the money, because they will not only get cash, but they will also be able to credit any cash they receive against next years salary cap (or the season after they receive it), essentially raising their Salary Cap that year by the amount the collect.
                          What is stupid is the fact that he had been contemplating retirement when they traded for him. It was well documented in the news.

                          Now they have put Plummer in a situation where he pays them money - or he pays them money.

                          Either way, whether he retires or continues to not file his papers - he owes them money which is what is stupid. If they want him to come back and play - why go after his pocketbook? That's not an incentive to go play. That's trying to force someone to go play. They are trying to force him to play for them. Now, I don't know about you - but forcing someone to play is not very "inspiring" for that player. If they want him to come and play with them so much - they will provide incentives - not punishments.
                          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                          The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                            What is stupid is the fact that he had been contemplating retirement when they traded for him. It was well documented in the news.

                            Now they have put Plummer in a situation where he pays them money - or he pays them money.

                            Either way, whether he retires or continues to not file his papers - he owes them money which is what is stupid. If they want him to come back and play - why go after his pocketbook? That's not an incentive to go play. That's trying to force someone to go play. They are trying to force him to play for them. Now, I don't know about you - but forcing someone to play is not very "inspiring" for that player. If they want him to come and play with them so much - they will provide incentives - not punishments.
                            They don't need to inspire him, they don't need a carrot, they have a stick.

                            Jake signed a contract that included a signing bonus (and later a roster bonus that guaranteed two more years of salary). Part of that contract was agreeing to play out his contract or refund part of his signing bonus. Jake chose to retire knowing full well that he could be forced to payback his signing bonus (just like Ricky Williams). The Bucs traded a pick for a player they knew said he was going to retire, and in return they received the right to go after Jake for the signing bonus money. If Jake decided to return, then the Bucs would give a higher draft pick, and own his rights for the next three years.

                            There is nothing the Bucs did that was wrong, just as there is nothing that Jake did that is wrong. The NFL is a business, both sides have rights and obligations.
                            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am sure Plummer knows exactly what his contract entails, and I am also sure he has enough resources to figure out how he can work this. He has a plan, and i'm sure he will get what he wants, whether it be retirement, a longer offseason, or what have you.

                              Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X