Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye NFL Europa

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10240829

FRANKFURT, Germany (June 29, 2007) -- The NFL folded its development league in Europe, calling the decision a sound business move that will allow for a stronger international focus on regular-season games outside the United States.

The announcement came less than a week after the Hamburg Sea Devils beat the Frankfurt Galaxy 37-28 in the World Bowl title game in Frankfurt before a crowd of 48,125. Five of the NFL Europa's six teams are based in Germany, with the other in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

A statement on the German-language edition of the NFL's Web site said the NFL decided to concentrate its "strategies and resources" on regular-season games outside the United States in an effort to reach as many people as possible.

"We thank our fans for the great support in the past years," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was quoted as saying.

Goodell said it was time to develop a new international strategy, terming the move to fold NFL Europa the "best business decision." The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season.

"From now on we will focus on regular-season games and use new technologies to make NFL more popular worldwide," he said.

NFL team owners decided in October to play up to two regular-season games outside the United States. The first such game will be Oct. 28 in London between the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants.

The league began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams from the United States and Europe. After closing for two seasons in 1993 and 1994, the league returned with six European teams and retained the same format until the end.

The league was used by NFL teams to test young talent and produced players such as quarterback Kurt Warner, who led the St. Louis Rams to the Super Bowl XXXIV title and won two NFL Most Valuable Player awards; Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme; and star Indianapolis Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri.

NFL Europa managing director Uwe Bergheim said the league had succeeded in establishing a fan base for football in important European markets.

"Despite the great support of fans, business partners and the cities where we were active, we decided that it was time to change the strategy," Bergheim said.
    sigpic

unbelievable. No more football...
    "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Comment

BOO!!!

Another horrid decision by the NFL and it's commissioner.

Leave NFL Europe for the people outside the US and leave NFL games in the US!

You think an everyday average fan of an NFL team will be able to afford a trip outside the US to see his/her favorite team? NO!
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

i dont get why the hell we need to play regular season games outside the US

and a super bowl id be pissed if there was a super bowl outside the US

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

I feel for Broncos this is horrible!! since the broncos OL more or less developed in the NFL-E we could develop more players there'

I know atleast both of our starting Tackles and one of our starting guards this season developed in NFL-E (I´m Counting on Pears as the startin RT and Harris not to play this year as usually on the broncos OL)

but it could be likeboth starting guards and both starting tackles have been developing in the NFL-E if Eslinger could beat someone for the RG spot, don´t forget he was an allstar NFL-E Center

Comment

No more nfl europa

(June 29, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will switch the focus of its international business strategy to presenting the NFL to the widest possible global audience, including broader media visibility and the staging of international regular-season games, and will discontinue NFL Europa.

"The time is right to re-focus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," commented Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International.

"We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience. NFL Europa has created thousands of passionate fans who have supported that league and our sport for many years and we look forward to building on this foundation as we begin this new phase of our international development."

Last October, NFL owners passed a resolution to stage up to two international regular-season games per season. The new international series will launch on Sunday, October 28 when the Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants at London's Wembley Stadium.

In addition to the 2007 game in the United Kingdom, the NFL is preparing to stage regular-season games in future seasons in Germany, Mexico and Canada, with Germany being a strong candidate to host a regular-season NFL game in 2008.

NFL Europa began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams competing in the United States and Europe. After a two-year hiatus (1993-94) following the 1992 season, the league returned in 1995 as a six-team, all-European venture, with five teams in Germany since 2005, and has existed in that format through its final season in 2007.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by konnorrollison
              (June 29, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will switch the focus of its international business strategy to presenting the NFL to the widest possible global audience, including broader media visibility and the staging of international regular-season games, and will discontinue NFL Europa.

"The time is right to re-focus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," commented Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International.

"We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience. NFL Europa has created thousands of passionate fans who have supported that league and our sport for many years and we look forward to building on this foundation as we begin this new phase of our international development."

Last October, NFL owners passed a resolution to stage up to two international regular-season games per season. The new international series will launch on Sunday, October 28 when the Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants at London's Wembley Stadium.

In addition to the 2007 game in the United Kingdom, the NFL is preparing to stage regular-season games in future seasons in Germany, Mexico and Canada, with Germany being a strong candidate to host a regular-season NFL game in 2008.

NFL Europa began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams competing in the United States and Europe. After a two-year hiatus (1993-94) following the 1992 season, the league returned in 1995 as a six-team, all-European venture, with five teams in Germany since 2005, and has existed in that format through its final season in 2007.

Link
              I'm just glad it didnt end last year. I think the year Eslinger spent there will go a very long way and it helped him prepare to become the next great C in Denver when Nalen calls it quits. other than that i dont really care about NFLE
              sigpic

Comment

This idea of having overseas teams is a joke. Goodell needs to have his head examined. I will be ticked off whenever Denver has to play one somewhere else--especially if we lose a game at Invesco. Let other people play soccer, I want my football--and I want players who can play at the highest level rather than sleepwalking around because they had a 17 hour flight. Goodell, you are a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliraiderhater
                  I'm just glad it didnt end last year. I think the year Eslinger spent there will go a very long way and it helped him prepare to become the next great C in Denver when Nalen calls it quits. other than that i dont really care about NFLE
                  I think Eslinger will play guard for broncos, and Ben Hamilton will play C when Nalen calls it quits

Comment

this international thing speaks to the greed of the owners and everyone involved in the higher ups

there better not be out of country teams, and a super bowl sure as hell shouldnt be held anywhere but america.
                    sig pic removed by mod staff.
                    we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

It was a shock, and a real real sad day for the Football Fans here in Germany
                      We all can´t believe that and still hope it was just a bad dream.

We love to see a NFL game here (really can´t wait for it), but the price (No more Rhein-Fire, Sea Devils ect) ist to high

Hopelessly devoted to the Prankster

Comment

Its business.

But if they play a superbowl outside the US, I will no longer be a fan of the NFL.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
                          Its business.

But if they play a superbowl outside the US, I will no longer be a fan of the NFL.
                          I agree.....it would be tough for me to do.....but I would no longer support the NFL if that happened...

Also ......same thing if they ever put the superbowl on pay/per/view.......
                          My 3 favorite teams:
                          1.The Denver Broncos
                          2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
                          3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by broncophan
                            I agree.....it would be tough for me to do.....but I would no longer support the NFL if that happened...

Also ......same thing if they ever put the superbowl on pay/per/view.......
                            I'd prefer payperview superbowl to outside the US. Although it would severely piss me off.

I don't think we have to worry about that because the superbowl makes so many millions of dollars on commercials as is. I'm sure the amount of watchers would drop significantly.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

I think Nobody wants do see a Super Bowl outsinde the USA
                              Its def. more fun to fly across the big ocean and watch it

But here we are all hot to see a regular NFL game in Europa
                              (Specialy in Germany of course) But that doesn´t bring us back
                              our Team

Of course it is business...but...would you say the same, if they say tomorrow
                              the NFL with Broncos ect. doesn´t exists anymore ? I don´t think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So1wxx9otyw

Hopelessly devoted to the Prankster

Comment

Working...
                              X