who is the worst coach in the nfl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DevilSpawn
    How in the world is Herm Edwards even mentioned?

Did you see what he did with the Jets? I watched them from beginning to end and his biggest detriment is clock management, which is huge, but he still brings out a prepared product to the field.

And who thought KC was going to go .500 last year, much less make the playoffs? He's bad in some areas, but better than most in others.

By the way, the worse coach in the NFL now is Jack Del Rio. For three years they were the preseason superbowl champs, and rightfully so with so many great pieces. All they've done is go 12-4, one and out, sandwiched between two mediocre/sub par seasons.
    I agree...I mentioned Herm as I didnt like the way that playoff game was
    coached....yea he has gotten teams to the playoffs like Marty did but....

unfortunately....always a bridesmaid...never a bride....or something like that.

yea I think there are worse coaches we could have...
    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

chucky gruden

actually i was considering chucky when i did my original post! sure he won the SB (KICKED THE HELL OUT OF OAKLAND!!!! YEAH !!) with tony dungys team but since he STATRED GRABBING POWER IN 2003, the team has been in a steep decline. I think he has to win this year, and I DO NOT LIKE ANY OF HIS QB'S. Next year he will be doing "inside the nfl" with costas, collinswoth and marino

Comment

It has to be Wade Phillips or Di ck Jauron. Herm is below average and annoying, but he is not anywhere near the worst 5 in the NFL.

Comment

I'm hoping that it is Norv Turner.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hamburgler

No, I would have to say John Gruden.
            Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

Comment

I will only rank a coach that is not in his rookie season.... seeing how we have no idea which of the rookies will turn out really

I don't have a worst but here are the three that come to my mind-Granted these aren't necessarily guys with the worst records just guy's that dont impress me much

I think Childress up to this point has completely mismanaged the Vikings... they shoulda never took the qb they did in Jackson and they destroyed their wideout corp.... GOOD JOB!

Jack Del Rio- He has an outstanding offense, but the way he mismanaged that QB position last year had me really thinkin he is stupid.... I may be wrong but I don't think he is that impressive

Herm Edwards-Why do I have this guy here? Not cuz he is that bad of a coach, but when you look at what he did with the Jets, he rode the talent Parcells put in place mostly... and then left maybe a year before theyda fired him.... He is also single handedly responsible for riding two backs into the ground (Curtis Martin and now Larry Johnson, both eclipsed 370 carries on Herm's watch) There may be worse
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan

Anyone who was a fan of football didn't like the way Herm coached that game.

I kept waiting for KC to try a play action pass when the Colts were clearly geared up to stop LJ, but it never came. I was dumbfounded.

Part of coaching is Xs and Os, but motivating your team and getting them to play hard is a big part too. Herm is an awesome motivator and he gets 110% out of his team. Sure his tactics are questionable, but overall you could do worse with another coach.

Wade Phillips is horrible. It amazes me how this guy keeps getting a head coaching gig. He's my pick.
                sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Herm's playcalling at times with clock management is pitiful. He gets his team ready to play, but damn he calls a stupid game sometimes. Pop in that 2004 game at San Diego with the Jets. He won by default. It was comical, two coaches doing their best to lose the game. And since Marty is the king of playoff ineptitude, he won.

But with that said, he still wins his fair share of games so he is not the worse.

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo
                    I will only rank a coach that is not in his rookie season.... seeing how we have no idea which of the rookies will turn out really

I don't have a worst but here are the three that come to my mind-Granted these aren't necessarily guys with the worst records just guy's that dont impress me much

I think Childress up to this point has completely mismanaged the Vikings... they shoulda never took the qb they did in Jackson and they destroyed their wideout corp.... GOOD JOB!

Jack Del Rio- He has an outstanding offense, but the way he mismanaged that QB position last year had me really thinkin he is stupid.... I may be wrong but I don't think he is that impressive

Herm Edwards-Why do I have this guy here? Not cuz he is that bad of a coach, but when you look at what he did with the Jets, he rode the talent Parcells put in place mostly... and then left maybe a year before theyda fired him.... He is also single handedly responsible for riding two backs into the ground (Curtis Martin and now Larry Johnson, both eclipsed 370 carries on Herm's watch) There may be worse
                    That's bullcrap. I guess you could also so Eric Mangini went to the playoffs on the talent Herm Edwards put in place.

And he rode Larry Johnson into the ground? Bull****. LJ is still going strong and has another 4 or 5 years in him. Did the Cowboys ride Emmitt Smith into the ground after four seasons of 360+ carries in his first 6 seasons? No, not at all. He kept going strong and played another 9 seasons after that. He didn't start to break down until his last 3 years in the league. Considering Emmitt Smith was alot smaller than LJ is why can't LJ take the pounding as well? Sounds like you are talking out your ass and trying to make **** up.

Hell, Herm Edwards didn't even run Curtis Martin into the ground. Did Curtis Martin carry the ball 371 times in 2004? Sure he did. But guess what? He had seasons where he carried the ball 368, 369, and 367 even before Herm Edwards came to New York. I'm pretty damn sure Martin already had alot of wear and tear even before Herm Edwards got ahold of him. Sounds like you are making **** up again.
                    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by MNPatsFan
                      1. Norv Turner
                      2. Herm Edwards

Then in no particular order because several of them are new or recently new to their positions:
                      Brad Childress, Wade Phillips, Tom Coughlin, D. Jauron, and Romeo Crennel.
                      I could care less what your coaching thoughts are. I just care about your signature. LOL

Little hint: Put a / in front of the end [IMG] like [/IMG]
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I am about to agree with a Raider and Chief fan.

Dear Lord check my pulse.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn
                          Herm's playcalling at times with clock management is pitiful. He gets his team ready to play, but damn he calls a stupid game sometimes. Pop in that 2004 game at San Diego with the Jets. He won by default. It was comical, two coaches doing their best to lose the game. And since Marty is the king of playoff ineptitude, he won.

But with that said, he still wins his fair share of games so he is not the worse.
                          Agreed. He seems to generally have the team ready with what talent he has, but his in game adjustments and clock management are appallingly bad. Maybe they need to hire that guy whose only job was to help **** Vermeil with clock management (though that didn't work out so well either).

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                            That's bullcrap. I guess you could also so Eric Mangini went to the playoffs on the talent Herm Edwards put in place.

And he rode Larry Johnson into the ground? Bull****. LJ is still going strong and has another 4 or 5 years in him. Did the Cowboys ride Emmitt Smith into the ground after four seasons of 360+ carries in his first 6 seasons? No, not at all. He kept going strong and played another 9 seasons after that. He didn't start to break down until his last 3 years in the league. Considering Emmitt Smith was alot smaller than LJ is why can't LJ take the pounding as well? Sounds like you are talking out your ass and trying to make **** up.

Hell, Herm Edwards didn't even run Curtis Martin into the ground. Did Curtis Martin carry the ball 371 times in 2004? Sure he did. But guess what? He had seasons where he carried the ball 368, 369, and 367 even before Herm Edwards came to New York. I'm pretty damn sure Martin already had alot of wear and tear even before Herm Edwards got ahold of him. Sounds like you are making **** up again.

I'd like you to look at this:

| 1990 dal | 16 | 241 937 3.9 11 | 24 228 9.5 0 |
                            | 1991 dal | 16 | 365 1563 4.3 12 | 49 258 5.3 1 |
                            | 1992 dal | 16 | 373 1713 4.6 18 | 59 335 5.7 1 |
                            | 1993 dal | 14 | 283 1486 5.3 9 | 57 414 7.3 1 |
                            | 1994 dal | 15 | 368 1484 4.0 21 | 50 341 6.8 1 |
                            | 1995 dal | 16 | 377 1773 4.7 25 | 62 375 6.0 0 |
                            | 1996 dal | 15 | 327 1204 3.7 12 | 47 249 5.3 3 |
                            | 1997 dal | 16 | 261 1074 4.1 4 | 40 234 5.8 0 |
                            | 1998 dal | 16 | 319 1332 4.2 13 | 27 175 6.5 2 |
                            | 1999 dal | 15 | 329 1397 4.2 11 | 27 119 4.4 2 |
                            | 2000 dal | 16 | 294 1203 4.1 9 | 11 79 7.2 0 |
                            | 2001 dal | 14 | 261 1021 3.9 3 | 17 116 6.8 0 |
                            | 2002 dal | 16 | 254 975 3.8 5 | 16 89 5.6 0 |
                            | 2003 ari | 10 | 90 256 2.8 2 | 14 107 7.6 0 |
                            | 2004 ari | 15 | 267 937 3.5 9 | 15 105 7.0 0

I said 370 is the carry mark that a running back gets screwed after... and if you notice: he had TWO years like that. Then if you also take a look... after 95he never carried over 320 again and his yards fell off the earth.

I also will show you this:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...nalysis/4764/\

Please read it it may enlighten you

So if I am making stuff up it is based off things I read and not my "homerism" and blatant desire to defend all things for my team.
                            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Working...
                            X