No announcement yet.

Freeney signs 72 million dollar deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpaying "good" players isn't anything new to them. Look at Manning, Harrison, Wayne and even Vinatieri and how much they make. I can see paying Manning close to the top for QB's but the others aren't really worth their contracts. Harrison is old, Wayne is good but not necessarily great, Vinatieri....? Vinatieri? Does anyone really think he made THAT big of a difference? I mean, I know he's the only one that scored against the Ravens with those 5 field goals, but Vanderjagt could've probably made at least 4 of them and they'd have still won. Whatever, I'm sure there's a reason why they're running the front office there and I'm just me on a message board, but I think it's money poorly spent. Freeney had 5 and a half sacks last year. By that count, I guess they'd offer Elvis Dumervil 130 million? What would they give for Shawne Merriman, lol. I would have franchised Freeney and made it clear that if he wanted the big payday, then he needs to do better than 5 and a half sacks. Then if he returned to form (At LEAST 10 sacks) then I'd compensate well, but even still, probably not that much. If not, he'd be playing for someone else.
    Roc Hoover. The coolest detective in daytime TV.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
      I see our board isn't the only place where they think a guy is a bum because he has injuries.

-----
      When healthy, Stokley is a stud. But he hasn't been healthy since 2004 hence the nickname.
      Grab a brew, dont cost nothin

Comment

Originally posted by FroHawk27
        Overpaying "good" players isn't anything new to them. Look at Manning, Harrison, Wayne and even Vinatieri and how much they make. I can see paying Manning close to the top for QB's but the others aren't really worth their contracts. Harrison is old, Wayne is good but not necessarily great, Vinatieri....? Vinatieri? Does anyone really think he made THAT big of a difference? I mean, I know he's the only one that scored against the Ravens with those 5 field goals, but Vanderjagt could've probably made at least 4 of them and they'd have still won. Whatever, I'm sure there's a reason why they're running the front office there and I'm just me on a message board, but I think it's money poorly spent. Freeney had 5 and a half sacks last year. By that count, I guess they'd offer Elvis Dumervil 130 million? What would they give for Shawne Merriman, lol. I would have franchised Freeney and made it clear that if he wanted the big payday, then he needs to do better than 5 and a half sacks. Then if he returned to form (At LEAST 10 sacks) then I'd compensate well, but even still, probably not that much. If not, he'd be playing for someone else.
        Man I am glad you're not the Colts gm. Manning is the best qb in the game, bar none. There is not another qb playing that has the freedom or the ability to call a game from the line like he does. Harrison may be 35, but he is still the best wide out in the game. Reggie Wayne would be a #1 receiver on over half of the other NFL teams. And since you obviously haven't been paying attention in class, Vinatieri was signed for exactly 500k more than what Vandershank was getting. And it's been proven over the past five years that Vandershank couldn't be counted on when it mattered. IE Miami, NE and the Steelers division game from 2005. Lets hope you do get that gm job with the Broncos though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawn Lebowitz
          When healthy, Stokley is a stud. But he hasn't been healthy since 2004 hence the nickname.
          I highly doubt Shanahan brought Stokely in for his talent and playing ability.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

I guess poeple don't understand inflation, rising market costs. Economics folks.

Like Dream said the cap is rising, contracts will keep getting bigger and untill someone says hey we should slow down with all this spending nothing is going to happen. Players will not say anything because they are getting paid more then God to play football!

Its just like everything else in the world. $600 for a PS3, $4.00 for a gallon of gas, 72 million for a DE.
            Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
            GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
            #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
            #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
            #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
            #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
            Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
              Harper, Raegor (sp) Stokely.....most have been lost because Colts won't offer more money. It's important to have key players, and they do have some great ones, but they don't have much money left to pay anyone else.
              Stokely is a Wideout.
              white sox are done, broncos looking strong, lakers gonna win it all again.

Originally posted by raylewis52
              you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
              smart fans, eh?

Comment

If Indi didn't do it, somone else would have. This has to beg the question though, if Freeny is worth 72, then what are Sanders and Mathis worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1
                  If Indi didn't do it, somone else would have. This has to beg the question though, if Freeny is worth 72, then what are Sanders and Mathis worth?
                  Sanders will get his payday next year. But Mathis signed for 30 mil last season.

Comment

This might be good news for us next year. Bob sanders might be a free agent. they also have to get dallas clark under contract next year...
                    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                    While he sits by his hearth at home.
                    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                    That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Colts screwed up big on this one....Imagine the ramifications these HUGE signings are going to have on all the future signings for the Colts and every other team in the league. These contracts cannot continue to grow by leaps and bounds every year, somethings gotta give... Will the salary cap increases be enough for strong teams to even have a chance to keep their star players? I am a Charger fan and I think we will have close to a snowballs chance in hell in resigning four of our key starters in 09, one of which is Merriman... I have even heard one quote that he is already being viewed by some as being "un-signable". You additionally notice that you don't see many 3 year rookie contracts anymore, it's mostly 4 year deals...whats next? Will teams in a few years be trying to get rookies to sign 5 or 6 year deals in the near future? I fear it's going to get ugly for teams in a few years....

Comment

Originally posted by Sniptilla
                        Colts screwed up big on this one....Imagine the ramifications these HUGE signings are going to have on all the future signings for the Colts and every other team in the league. These contracts cannot continue to grow by leaps and bounds every year, somethings gotta give... Will the salary cap increases be enough for strong teams to even have a chance to keep their star players? I am a Charger fan and I think we will have close to a snowballs chance in hell in resigning four of our key starters in 09, one of which is Merriman... I have even heard one quote that he is already being viewed by some as being "un-signable". You additionally notice that you don't see many 3 year rookie contracts anymore, it's mostly 4 year deals...whats next? Will teams in a few years be trying to get rookies to sign 5 or 6 year deals in the near future? I fear it's going to get ugly for teams in a few years....
                        Bingo. Just what I was getting at. No one is going to say anything about this. The players love it and will start to complain if the leauge/owners try to do something, its not like they have it good enough all ready.

Today the Lions made Redding the highest paid DT in the leauge. Just think what Champ will get, LT, LJ. It is going to be ridiculous A-Rod money. Teams will have a francise RB then Tim Couch at QB.
                        Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
                        GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
                        #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
                        #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
                        #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
                        #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
                        Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

30 mill just to sign ur damn name. amazing__Just__amazing

i really should have pursued sports in HS lolz

Comment

Originally posted by darrent/hero
                            Stokely is a Wideout.

Thanks for pointing that out, I don't know what I would do without all of your worthless knowledge.
                            Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Not bad for a one-dimensional player

Looks like Elvis should be cashing in big time in a few years as he is a Freeney clone

Or at least I hope....Freeney is a hell of a player (pass rush) but a bit of a liability in the run game....

By the way....

SCREW THE COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

We all know he will never see all 72 million of that. EVER.

The salary cap and contract structures make sure of that.

He will get all of his guaranteed money, plus a small % of the total remaining value in straight salary, and then at some point in likely 2010 or 2011, he will either have to renegotiate, or will be cut. Provided he is still healthy and playing in 4 years.

So, I never pay attention to reported figures, because players never get the full amount of those contracts.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                                You should check these guys out

Comment

Working...
                                X