• Show
Clear All

• New Football leauge?!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6863932

Quote:
    Report: New start-up league could rival NFL

FOXSports.com
    Posted: 7 hours ago

The NFL may be the most successful league in the country, but that doesn't mean it's without competition.

Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street businessman, and Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google, have decided to start up a rival football league, the United Football League, according to a report on the New York Times web site Wednesday.

For those worried that the UFL will lack name recognition, Hambrecht and Armstrong already have one owner lined up: Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

And though the league is having a difficult time finding other owners, it appears Cuban is committed to the plan. The league intends to play its first preseason games in August of 2008.

And where will the league find the talent necessary to attract fans?

"(Former NFL coach) Bill Walsh used to tell me that the last 20 players cut from every team were almost interchangeable with the last 20 players to make the team," Hambrecht says.

So far, the UFL has decided to put teams in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. Cuban, unsurprisingly, is considering buying the team in Vegas, according to the report.

There have been so many leagues that were supposed to compete with the NFL... and where are they all now??

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Other SPORTS in general have a hard time competing with the NFL, much less another football league.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
        There have been so many leagues that were supposed to compete with the NFL... and where are they all now??

yea like the XFL....
        Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_Rampage
          http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6863932

Quote:
          Report: New start-up league could rival NFL

FOXSports.com
          Posted: 7 hours ago

The league intends to play its first preseason games in August of 2008.
          First mistake ! competing directly with NFL. Only chance a league like this has is competing against baseball or basketball during spring not against NFL during fall.

Comment

mark cuban involved? AWESOME, hopefully this will blow up.
            sigpic

Comment

This could possibly be like NFL vs AFL, but I am almost 100% percent sure it wouldnt be like that. Maybe there will be interleague play like back then with the superbowl back when it was NFL vs AFL.
              sigpic

Comment

The USFL failed as well as the XFL

This UFL will fall flat on its face and make those involved in it look like idiots.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown

This UFL will fall flat on its face and make those involved in it look like idiots.
                  yea CB....But I really don't think the XFL was serious...IMO...
                  Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown

If they didnt try to compete with the NFL, I think it could suceed, but they are trying to compete, which is a no no
                    sigpic

Comment

i think theyll do fine he is makin it where the games wont be played on weekends rather on weekdays when people will be craving football and this isnt another xfl or anything like that....the rules for this league will be almost if not completely identical to the NFL
                      "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I'm sorry but it simply won't be able to compete if it plays in the Fall. No way that any TV station is going to be giving up any airtime to these guys. If it was the spring and summer where everybody is DYING of lack of football, it could be mildly successful to a certian extent. I mean, if it had it's 'Superbowl' this upcoming weekend or something I think it would draw decent numbers. This will just be the new NFL Europe where we send our almost but not quite players over there, they set a whole bunch of records, and come back and start for 5 years in the NFL.

Comment

Actually, an alternate league like that would have a better chance than it would've before.

During the days of the USFL, the NFL was like a Microsoft; the USFL couldn't get much media coverage, and some teams even had stadium problems.

Today, there's different avenues for media exposure and marketing for this new league that hadn't existed before. Even people with practically no budget can get their work seen worldwide at practically no cost.

If they can get coverage from the big networks, then great. If not, there are lots of networks to choose from, as well as cable, pay-per-view (how mma got popular), i-pod, DVDs, streaming content, etc.

Also, there are so much more avenues for marketing that hadn't existed before, not just the internet, although that's a big part of it; they can build communities of fans that fuel interest, in the same way people post on these boards in the offseason.

As long as they focus heavily on marketing, and as long as the owners have deep enough pockets to absorb the early losses, and as long as they stick to their gameplan, they can make this work.

A lot of the innovations of the USFL were actually later implemented by the NFL, even though they don't give them the credit.

And this new league benefits from the atmosphere of successful anti-monopoly rulings, so it has a good chance of being protected.

With the right people behind it, this could very well succeed.

Comment

What did we have?

WFL
                            USFL
                            WLAF
                            XFL
                            and now this?

When will people learn?

(I do love memorabilia from folded football leagues)

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
                              yea like the XFL....
                              My thoughts exactly.

"He Hate Me"...ROFL!

No professional football league will ever be able to compete with the NFL. It's just not going to happen. That's like asking the WCHL to compete with the NHL.
                              Originally posted by Soldier96B
                              i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Working...
                              X