Barry Sanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Sanders

Okay, waiting for training camp is extremely painful so I thought I would add to the propositions here by suggesting something outlandish and totally unlikely to happen. Hear me out. Barry has repeatedly qualified his "I'm not coming back" statements with "at this time." I think there is a little spark in his head that would entertain the right situation, the right place.

Meanwhile, Denver is trying to put itself in the best position to win the big one, and there is a lot that suggests they may have a shot. If you look at teams who have done this over the years, one element that may be important is veteran team presence in the locker room (last time we did it we had Elway, Sharpe, Neil Smith etc). How much do you think it would mean for this team's locker room to look across the room and see Barry Sanders suiting up in orange and blue?

Add to this that Barry still probably has something left in the tank and could be a nice change of pace back to team with Henry to give a VERY potent 1-2 punch. From Denver's perspective, if he would come cheap (which I don't see why he wouldn't) I think its a win situation.

From Barry Sanders' point of view, you get the chance to come to a winning organization (finally) and have a legitimate chance to add a SB ring to your already outstanding career. To boot, your also not required to be the primary ball carrier as you get older. I don't necessarily think Denver is unique in what it offers (he could get this from Indy, Chicago, the Pats - lets be honest SD has 2 legit backs already), but Denver is a great place for vets to come and live out their glory years.

The biggest opposition to this plan (IMO) is (reality for one) that they'd have to figure out who wore #20 since this was just given to Henry (!!), and I'm not sure if Millen still holds onto his rights (??). No really, I don't think this would ever happen, but some of it kind of makes sense. I suppose having said that, there are a number of old vets out there in more "need" positions for us (although it would be hard to come up with a superstar like him who could probably still play) that could also fill this role. I was just watching NFL network's show on Sanders and started thinking.....Let me know what you think.
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

im fairly sure this was covered only last week, look back from the search button.

i dont know i never was really a barry fan, he had sick moves but he lost to much yardage

i much prefer a little less elusive back that will gain tough yards each and every down, kinda what we have in henry. not that henry is even on the same planet as barry but his styl is much more fitting for the offense

thats just my thoughts though and i really never got to see barry play i was too young
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

Wow, this is nutty. Even for the offseason.

List O' reasons why this would be the worst thing ever
      Barry Sanders hasn't played foot ball in nine years. Nine years is an insane amount of time in football terms. It would probably take him at least a year, if not two to get anywhere near close to football shape.

He wouldn't be cheap. This guy pulled a Peyton Manning years before Manning did. He ate up all the teams cap and prevented them from spending money. Sanders is, IMHO, a greedy man.

He is not a Denver system running back. Let me repeat that, He is not a Denver system running back. He would be terrible in this system. One cut and go? Barry was more like one cut and go over here, then over here, over here. The man had made cuts the ginsu knife.

We have no need for him. We have a good starter and excellent depth.

Comment

I wonder if Jim Brown is available . . .

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
          I wonder if Jim Brown is available . . .

-----
          C'mon, Top........................JB may have been good but he's way past it...........................

Eric ****erson, however
          The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
          BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
          You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
            C'mon, Top........................JB may have been good but he's way past it...........................

Eric ****erson, however
            Hmmm . . . think so? Shoot, I almost suggested Paul Hornung. Or Jim Taylor. Franco Harris?

Man, we have quite a talent pool to draw from!

*does anybody know Jim Thorpe's number? Oh, he may not be around anymore?*

-----
            Last edited by topscribe; 07-22-2007, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Hmmm . . . think so? Shoot, I almost suggested Paul Hornung. Or Jim Taylor. Franco Harris?

-----

I was thinking maybe the guy that used to present the NFL's coverage over here, Frank Gifford..........used to be pretty good, didn't he?
              The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
              BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
              You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Pandapeep
                Wow, this is nutty. Even for the offseason.

List O' reasons why this would be the worst thing ever
                Barry Sanders hasn't played foot ball in nine years. Nine years is an insane amount of time in football terms. It would probably take him at least a year, if not two to get anywhere near close to football shape.

He wouldn't be cheap. This guy pulled a Peyton Manning years before Manning did. He ate up all the teams cap and prevented them from spending money. Sanders is, IMHO, a greedy man.

He is not a Denver system running back. Let me repeat that, He is not a Denver system running back. He would be terrible in this system. One cut and go? Barry was more like one cut and go over here, then over here, over here. The man had made cuts the ginsu knife.

We have no need for him. We have a good starter and excellent depth.

You left out the most important reason of all!

He is old enough to be half our posters grandpa
                _
                Card by broncos_mtnman Sig by MasterShake America: Freedom to Fascism Watch this!
                All you need to know about Yellow & White Bars, CPs, and Levels

Comment

you guys crack Me up. Barry was in the league playing for 10 years, and now has been out of football for 9 years... and we think that would be a POSITIVE thing to see dressing out in the locker room? Seriously? You think the teammates would feel this is something GOOD to see Barry Sanders (now)dressing out? NOOOO. It would look desperate and sad... not positive and motivating.

Also.. for people that think that Manning and Sanders were/are greedy because of their contracts.. are completely and TOTALLY ignorant. Period.

Comment

I hear that O.J guy is real good

Comment

Call me ignorant then. When your contract hurts the team, you are greedy. Period.

Comment

Don't even know why Barry, Jim Brown, OJ, Hornung, or any of the others are being discussed..... LT is the best there ever was... you know it and I know it.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv
                          Don't even know why Barry, Jim Brown, OJ, Hornung, or any of the others are being discussed..... LT is the best there ever was... you know it and I know it.
                          hes definetly top 10 i think barry was a freak though. as was emmit. walter payton. not takeing ANYTHING from LT but there was some good runners before him.
                          The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                          While he sits by his hearth at home.
                          Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                          That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

-----
                            I hear OJ Simpson really needs some money.

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
                            ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Comment

Originally posted by Davii
                              I hear OJ Simpson really needs some money.
                              Things didn't so do so good the last time he was in a (albeit white) bronco.
                              sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                              Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X