• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns' Second Round Pick Tears ACL

Poor guys can't get any luck at all!
    -----------------------------------------------

Browns second-rounder Jones tears ACL

NFL.com wire reports

BEREA, Ohio (June 10, 2004) -- Cleveland Browns rookie defensive back Sean Jones is likely to miss the season after tearing a ligament in his left knee.

The Browns' second-round draft pick out of Georgia, Jones tore his ACL when he jumped to intercept a ball during practice on June 8. When he planted his leg, receiver Dennis Northcutt dove into his knee.

"It was an unfortunate and a freaky type of a deal," Browns coach Butch Davis said Thursday.

The Browns didn't report the injury until Jun 10.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Jones is a hard-hitting safety who was expected to play immediately for the Browns. He will have surgery June 22.

"It's pretty disappointing, but I just have to keep my spirits up," Jones said.

He said he's never had an injury this severe but he is focused on rehabbing the knee and getting ready for next season.

Cleveland has an older secondary, particularly at safety, where Earl Little and Robert Griffith are the starters.

Little said Jones would have been a valuable backup, but they still have second-year defensive back Chris Crocker.

The Browns also have signed defensive back David Gibson who was with Tampa Bay last season.

"It's unfortunate because the guy's just getting his feet wet. The season hasn't even begun," Crocker said of Jones. "You hate to see something end before it gets started."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/7408852

sean jones, I think
    sigpic

Comment

I've always wondered what happens in a case like this. I assume the player hasn't signed a contract yet so what compensation does he get for tearing up his knee in a minicamp?
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Maybe we can get a draft choice for Middlebroke?

Comment

It's a shame that he got injured. He was really a good player for the Georgia Bulldogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
            Maybe we can get a draft choice for Middlebroke?
            I don't think they're after him...I read over at ESPN.com that the Browns have since offered Jones' under-study, former starter Earl Little ( I think) a fat contract to stay...only weeks after trying to show him the door!

...Plus, Middlebrooks is a Gopher
            "Man, I thought this was just a picture or something!"

-John Elway
            As he held the Vince Lombardi trophy in the lockeroom following Super Bowl XXXII

Comment

That's too bad, Jones was supposed to be the second best safety in this draft behind Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by PokeysLittleDog
                I don't think they're after him...I read over at ESPN.com that the Browns have since offered Jones' under-study, former starter Earl Little ( I think) a fat contract to stay...only weeks after trying to show him the door!

...Plus, Middlebrooks is a Gopher
                Perhaps Gofer, I was kidding about the draft choice. We will have to cut this clown after his contract is up if not sooner. Maybe he'll be our Special teams superstar!

Comment

Good ole Northcutt.....wonder if they're still happy they re-signed him.
                  Just think.....if Denver had got him, he probably would have done the same thing to Bailey.......wouldn't THAT have sucked!
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                    I've always wondered what happens in a case like this. I assume the player hasn't signed a contract yet so what compensation does he get for tearing up his knee in a minicamp?
                    Not sure but I think they are still covered, by the teams insurance stuff. Sure he will wind up on there IR list. As long as he is there he gets paid some basic salary.
                    Could be wrong about it though.

Comment

Talk about bad luck. tough way to start your career. oh man.
                      CLICK HERE for my vintage Broncos stuff

Comment

Working...
                      X