Good News, holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News, holmes

(July 25, 2007) -- Unpredictable stories go to training camp along with players. But none can be any more unlikely than this: While Michael Vick will not be at training camp, it now looks as if Priest Holmes will.

Chiefs players are now telling each other that, after two seasons away from football to nurse a spinal injury, the 33-year-old Holmes has been given medical clearance to play and he is planning to participate in this summer's training camp.

Running backs Michael Bennett and Larry Johnson, to name two players, are aware of Holmes' plans. Holmes' agent, Todd France, declined comment.

There also are other strong signs pointing to a Holmes comeback. With camp kicking off Friday, Holmes still has yet to inform anyone in the Chiefs organization that he plans to retire. The feeling within the organization now is that he will attempt to resume his career.

If he does, he would be on the field Friday, while the embattled Vick is not.

"Priest is counting on our roster right now as an active player," one Chiefs official said recently.

Nor does it seem as if it will change anytime soon. Holmes' return, if it indeed happens as now is expected, makes sense on a number of levels.

For starters, Holmes is a player that has been counted out his entire career. Many, once again, thought he would be unable to return from his neck injury.

But Holmes repeatedly has defied odds throughout his career, whether it was going from an undrafted free agent to a Pro Bowl running back, or coming back from other injuries that others thought he might not be able to overcome.

Holmes also never filed retirement papers; nor does he have any plans to do so any time. Holmes has been feeling better, good enough to attempt what many thought to be an unlikely comeback.

And if Holmes returns, it also provides the Chiefs with an additional dose of leverage in their contract disagreement with running back Larry Johnson, who has one year remaining on his current deal.

Johnson and the Chiefs are at least $14 million apart in guaranteed money, and the total might even be as high as $17 million. Each side appears to be entrenched in its stance, and Johnson intends to skip camp until he has a new contract.

With Holmes healthy and on the field, the Chiefs would have, if nothing else, a slightly higher degree of security at the running back position. They still would not know whether Holmes would be able to make it to and through the season, but they would have a back that has produced like few others in NFL history.

It all creates an intriguing storyline, one few expected. In a year when new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's two biggest issues have been dogfighting and "making it rain" -- and who could have predicted that -- there now is another unlikely storyline shaping up in Kansas City.

Training camp is on Holmes' radar; it is not on Vick's.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I think this could help the chiefs, Priest may be up there and over the hill a bit, but it should make KC a lot more comfortable knowing they have a competent starter if LJ decides to be a ****** bag, which he probably will.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

very interesting i dont think he will get much time with the ball tho

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

Here's more on it from SI...

If he's reasonably healthy, it might force Larry to rethink his hold out plans.
      sigpic

Comment

Mtn Man....the link you posted is not working..at least not for me.

I read this while ago on the KCStar website.And while I think it is good

news and exciting news for Holmes fans(such as myself) I am a little

skeptical about how much he can play or how hard of a hit he could

take.I miss watching Priest and hope he is over the neck injury.

This is very interesting news to say the least....
        Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan View Post
          Mtn Man....the link you posted is not working..at least not for me.

I read this while ago on the KCStar website.And while I think it is good

news and exciting news for Holmes fans(such as myself) I am a little

skeptical about how much he can play or how hard of a hit he could

take.I miss watching Priest and hope he is over the neck injury.

This is very interesting news to say the least....
          Try this one....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
          sigpic

Comment

And the leech emerges from shadow. Priest, I pray nightly that you will continue sucking the lifeblood out of the Chiefs' organization by way of cashed monthly paychecks. Thanks for your support of the Broncos.

Thanks to you also Carl "Snake Oil" Peterson for the continued mediocrity in the face of huge profits. You are a blessing to all who hate the Chiefs.

Comment

The Priest returns...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/10268718

The long & short of it is this, Priest Holmes,, nearly two full calendar years out of football is coming back and medically cleared to return to the Chiefs. He'll be 34 in the middle of the season but claims his legs are better than ever. He will provide a very much needed sigh of relief to Chiefs fans while LJ holds out. Not that Priest will be the savior and rack up 1500 yards but if he is as good as he claims, he will def be better than bennett will.

My personal thoughts: I'm stoked, I'm a huge Broncos fan but I always loved Priest, except for when he played Denver, it was sad to see him take so long to get back into shape, and at age 33, is old for RB's but young if you think about it, he could play 2 more years if he stays away from "Lights out" I'm excited, I know i'll get flamed for liking a Chief but hey...the guys a good RB, sue me! Go Priest! (Just not against Denver)

Comment

priest needs some closure against merriman

if he can bridge the gap to kc's next franchise rb, he may actually give them the ability to trade LJ for a fortune

(if kc believes that LJ will be worthless soon because of the overusage he took in 06)
                sigpic

Comment

i'm sorry but i'll never understand the fascination. let's see him do it now without the best oline in football.
                  Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                  Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

If Priest Holmes does come back and starts doing extremely well in training camp, Johnson won't be holding out for very long. This could actually work out well for the Chiefs. They might let Holmes come back in hopes that he does well enough to put the fear of God into Larry Johnson.

Personally, I think Holmes should just stay away. I doubt he's truly physically capable of handling the rigors of football. He had a serious injury and now he's at an age that is very difficult for RBs to be successful. I just hope he doesn't find out the hard way that it's too late to regain his days of glory.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

If Priest Holmes can be healthy enough to show that he still got something left in the tank that will definatley make the LJ contract talks more interesting.
                      R.I.P
                      #27 Darrent Williams
                      #29 Damian Nash

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
                        i'm sorry but i'll never understand the fascination. let's see him do it now without the best oline in football.
                        That is true, Roaf & Shields are gone, I forgot that....we'll see! Good to see 31 back tho, he's a RB others can learn from

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
                          That is true, Roaf & Shields are gone, I forgot that....we'll see! Good to see 31 back tho, he's a RB others can learn from
                          oh yeah roaf and shields made about 22 of those 27 touchdowns incredibly easy jogs into the endzone. he's not a bum but i remember seeing it all year and reading a stat that confirmed it-the vast majority of his scores, were scored under 5 yards. and he only had to run double digits yards to score on 5 touchdowns. and i remember three of those 13 yard-ish scores, weren't that hard when he saw first contact 11 yards downfield. dude had it so easy and i remember thinking "we're the super well-known running team?!". it was offensive.
                          Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                          Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlensbest3233 View Post
                            And the leech emerges from shadow. Priest, I pray nightly that you will continue sucking the lifeblood out of the Chiefs' organization by way of cashed monthly paychecks. Thanks for your support of the Broncos.

Thanks to you also Carl "Snake Oil" Peterson for the continued mediocrity in the face of huge profits. You are a blessing to all who hate the Chiefs.
                            leech why does this bother you that the Chiefs still have him
                            on the payroll? I have read several of your post and sometimes I think
                            you are a little too concerned about the Chiefs....

I see people talk about KMartin turning discussion threads into smack
                            but I see you doing that very same thing...

and I am not smacking on you...just an observation...
                            Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan View Post
                              leech why does this bother you that the Chiefs still have him
                              on the payroll? I have read several of your post and sometimes I think
                              you are a little too concerned about the Chiefs....

I see people talk about KMartin turning discussion threads into smack
                              but I see you doing that very same thing...

and I am not smacking on you...just an observation...
                              Its because the people on this site only care about smack when fans from other teams do it and not when they themselves smack others.
                              sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                              Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X