What has happened to the "Commitment to Excellence?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to the "Commitment to Excellence?"

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I am 99.9% correct as I “googled” my way through the research on this one. The Raiders & Jamarcus Russell broke a streak started by the Colts & Eli’s brother (I just can’t say his name) back in 1998 of having the #1 overall pick signed before the beginning of camp. The majority of the picks had an agreement with the team drafting first already in place before the actual draft. This is just more proof of what a horribly ran organization the Faiders have become.

When they rightfully earned the #1 overall pick, they had ample time to either:
    a) sign the player they wanted which ended up being Russell
    b) trade down and get more picks to help out a struggling franchise
    c) pick the best player in the draft – Calvin Johnson and selected a QB later in the draft

Don’t get me wrong, I am more than happy the Jamarcus is holding out and slowing down the learning curve, but the Raiders really screwed this one up. And I am more than thankful that they did.

#1 draft picks since 1996 – days held out or if they reported on time – size of contract

1996 – Keyshawn Johnson (Jets) held out for 24 days got a 6 year/$15 million contract
    1997 – Orlando Pace (Rams) held out for 29 days got a 7 year/$29.4 million contract
    1998 – Peyton Manning (Colts) reported on time got a 6 year/$48 million contract
    1999 – Tim Couch (Browns) reported on time got a 7 year/$59.4 million contract
    2000 – Courtney Brown (Browns) reported on time got a 6 year/$36 million contract
    2001 – Michael Vick (Chargers traded to Falcons) reported on time got a 6 year/$62 million contract
    2002 – David Carr (Texans) reported on time got a 7 year/$46 million contract
    2003 – Carson Palmer (Bengals) reported on time got a 6 year/$49 million contract
    2004 – Eli Manning (Chargers traded to Giants) reported on time got a 6 year/$54 million contract
    2005 – Alex Smith (49ers) reported on time got a 6 year/$49.5 million contract
    2006 – Mario Williams (Texans) reported on time got a 6 year/$54 million contract
    2007 – Jamarcus Russell (Raiders) Holding out

i hate the raiders with a passion... but its not all the organizations fault.... russell wants 30-32 mill in signing bonuse.. which is a lot of money to give a player that has yet to take a snap.
    sigpic
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

Originally posted by 32-33Champs View Post
      Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I am 99.9% correct as I “googled” my way through the research on this one. The Raiders & Jamarcus Russell broke a streak started by the Colts & Eli’s brother (I just can’t say his name) back in 1998 of having the #1 overall pick signed before the beginning of camp. The majority of the picks had an agreement with the team drafting first already in place before the actual draft. This is just more proof of what a horribly ran organization the Faiders have become.

When they rightfully earned the #1 overall pick, they had ample time to either:
      a) sign the player they wanted which ended up being Russell
      b) trade down and get more picks to help out a struggling franchise
      c) pick the best player in the draft – Calvin Johnson and selected a QB later in the draft

Don’t get me wrong, I am more than happy the Jamarcus is holding out and slowing down the learning curve, but the Raiders really screwed this one up. And I am more than thankful that they did.

#1 draft picks since 1996 – days held out or if they reported on time – size of contract

1996 – Keyshawn Johnson (Jets) held out for 24 days got a 6 year/$15 million contract
      1997 – Orlando Pace (Rams) held out for 29 days got a 7 year/$29.4 million contract
      1998 – Peyton Manning (Colts) reported on time got a 6 year/$48 million contract
      1999 – Tim Couch (Browns) reported on time got a 7 year/$59.4 million contract
      2000 – Courtney Brown (Browns) reported on time got a 6 year/$36 million contract
      2001 – Michael Vick (Chargers traded to Falcons) reported on time got a 6 year/$62 million contract
      2002 – David Carr (Texans) reported on time got a 7 year/$46 million contract
      2003 – Carson Palmer (Bengals) reported on time got a 6 year/$49 million contract
      2004 – Eli Manning (Chargers traded to Giants) reported on time got a 6 year/$54 million contract
      2005 – Alex Smith (49ers) reported on time got a 6 year/$49.5 million contract
      2006 – Mario Williams (Texans) reported on time got a 6 year/$54 million contract
      2007 – Jamarcus Russell (Raiders) Holding out
      Well, you are off to a good start by saying the last guy to do this is now the best QB in the game today. Way to compare.

And I'm sure if it A, B & C were that easy, you'd be in the front office, right?

And we didn't stand pat. We covered ourselves and got Culpepper, who happens to be a very talented QB auditioning for future money, with something to prove.

And you need to google more to find out why this has stalled. His agents want the impossible. Not amount of money, but the way it is distributed along the contract. And your C) theory is out the window because Calvin Johnson has yet to sign.
      Last edited by DevilSpawn; 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MHS View Post
        i hate the raiders with a passion... but its not all the organizations fault.... russell wants 30-32 mill in signing bonuse.. which is a lot of money to give a player that has yet to take a snap.
        Greed is a hell of a drug!

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7082474

Structure of Russell deal is the holdup

The prevalent thinking is that the Raiders are prepared to give No.1 pick JaMarcus Russell about $29 million in guaranteed money, possibly the bulk of it in signing and option bonuses. That figure is a decent bump over what Houston paid last year's top pick, defensive end Mario Williams.

So, what's the holdup?
          Well, there is the talk of forfeiture clauses when referring to option bonuses and multimillions of dollars. Ever since Ashley Lelie's victory over the Broncos, when he was not required to repay the team his bonus money even after he walked out on them, NFL clubs have been very reluctant to give away huge sums of money without any protection to recoup the money should a player decide to quit or retire prematurely. Remember, the Detroit Lions were successful in getting some signing bonus money back Barry Sanders.

Currently, the Carolina Panthers' biggest conflict with holdout linebacker Jon Beason is that they will not give him an option bonus because of the forfeiture issue. And agents know the Panthers tend to be a very generous outfit. Every player signed in the top 10 of this year's draft agreed to specific team protection issues regarding bonuses and guaranteed money.

Consequently, it makes good sense that the Raiders want protection. The difficult part for Oakland negotiators is that the agents — Eric Metz and Ethan Lock — have not exchanged a single proposal with the team and here it is almost a week since training camp opened. To outsiders, it is obvious that the agents don't like the financial structure of the deal the Raiders have presented to Russell.

The Raiders, one of the NFL's lowest-revenue franchises, also have certain constraints. They have roughly $2.975 million in rookie pool room left with which to sign Russell. The Raiders believe they can get to $29 million in guaranteed money, maximizing that pool number.

But what will the structure of that deal be? That's what is critical to Russell's agents, who definitely want as much dough as they can get up front rather than, say, accepting guaranteed contracts through the 2012 season. Right now, the Raiders can't give all of the guaranteed money in the form of bonuses, be it signing, roster or option bonuses.

Basically, there are significant issues on both sides. From Oakland's perspective, there are the necessary forfeiture issues. But from Russell's side, the difference in structures could mean less in guaranteed money and present-value income. One general manager told me today that the Raiders are being questioned on Russell's deal because many teams thought they overpaid by giving $1 million more in guaranteed money to second-round pick Zach Miller based on deals around him. Some teams are already calling it the worst contract done this year with any draft choice.

Of course, the Raiders should have had much of this contract with Russell completed prior to selecting him in the draft — something most teams with the No. 1 overall pick have done of late. For example, last year the Texans had a deal in place with Williams before they actually picked him. Oakland should have done the same with Russell or negotiated with Calvin Johnson or whomever. Last year, the Texans switched from Reggie Bush to Williams because they felt they couldn't sign the running back.

Now, the Raiders wouldn't be in this mess had they simply selected USC's Matt Leinart last year instead of Texas safety Michael Huff. At the time, the Raiders thought they could win with Aaron Brooks and owner Al Davis loved Andrew Walter, the young quarterback in waiting. That's Oakland's excuse for not selecting Leinart and how dumb does that look today?

With the signing of Daunte Culpepper and the trade for Josh McCown and the selection of Russell, the Raiders might end up trading Walter or releasing him. Of course, that is based on them having Culpepper, Russell and McCown on the roster next month. Heck, last season 10 NFL teams carried only two quarterbacks on their active rosters at the start of the season.

its not all the raiders btw
          as much as i dont like the raiders i dont want to bash em too much on this one

we can blame ashlie lelie on this one as well as the raiders for not striking a deal or being close to one before they picked him
          russell's agent is mainly to blame on this one and imo until this is settled quinn's probably going to be a hold out too

wow the raider are not standing good with the other owners it seem,s about the whole Zach Miller contract as well
          sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
            Well, you are off to a good start by saying the last guy to do this is now the best QB in the game today. Way to compare.

And I'm sure if it A, B & C were that easy, you'd be in the front office, right?

And we didn't stand pat. We covered ourselves and got Culpepper, who happens to be a very talented QB auditioning for future money, with something to prove.

And you need to google more to find out why this has stalled. His agents want the impossible. Not amount of money, but the way it is distributed along the contract. And your C) theory is out the window because Calvin Johnson has yet to sign.
            I know that CJ is still unsigned, but had the Raiders taken CJ they would at least have a top notch target for your "talented QB" once CJ signed. The point I was trying to make is that the Raiders should've done a better job of getting the FIRST OVERALL pick signed to a contract, or at least had terms agreed upon.

The funny thing about this all is how excited Raider fans were to have the FIRST OVERALL pick and now he isn't even practicing. With the season just 38 days away, the Raiders better hope the lines of communciation open up soon.

Originally posted by lynchembaby View Post
            http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7082474The difficult part for Oakland negotiators is that the agents — Eric Metz and Ethan Lock — have not exchanged a single proposal with the team and here it is almost a week since training camp opened. To outsiders, it is obvious that the agents don't like the financial structure of the deal the Raiders have presented to Russell.

Comment

Don't confuse me with being any kind of a Raiders fan, but I LOVE the fact that they signed Culpepper to keep their camp moving because Russell is being a twit. I almost hope Culpepper works out well for them and Russell gets splinters in his butt if he ever signs. This kind of crap gets old. Free agents are one thing, where teams are literally bidding for a players proven talent, but frankly, I wish the league would post a salary schedule for rookie contracts so we would not have to put up with this kind of nonsense. (Is the NFLPA a union or not?) These guys haven't played a single down, and want to be king of the world. Just a peeve of mine.

Comment

Peyton didn't hold out. He was the one that started the streak of NOT holding out.

Comment

I was stating that Eli's brother was the first to start the streak of FIRST OVERALL picks signed before the start of training camp. However, that streak of 9 came to halt with the Raiders "Commitment to Excellence" and the greed of Jamarcus Russell & his agents, Eric Metz and Ethan Lock.

I'm just glad the Raiders didn't go with plan B or C. They could've actually been competitive.

Comment

What happened to the commitmence to excellence you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RqZ...elated&search=

That's what happened to them.
                    sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                    Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

And yuou need to google "reading comprehension"

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

It isn't the team. It is the player to blame for this sort of behavior. It is the player's responsibility to be in camp and ready to do his job. The players in the draft are drafted and expected to report to their respective teams on time. If the player chooses to throw a hissy fit with his agent - it is their fault. It shows just how irresponsible the NFL player has become over the years. It is quite depressing.
                        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

I just heard the professor, John Clayton, state that the negotiations between the Raiders & Russell are going backwards. He stated that Russell told the Raiders prior to the draft that if they weren't going to offer him what Russell wanted they might as well not draft him.

Comment

... and then there were two.

Comment

... and then there was one.

Is it possible that the Faiders 1st round pick could go unsigned for the season and then re-enter the 2008 Draft?

From John's Clayton's Blog:

The impasse between JaMarcus Russell and the Raiders is a pretty interesting one. A lot of it has to do with what happened to Mario Williams with the Texans a year ago. Williams agreed to $26.5 million in guarantees once Texans owner Bob McNair decided not to take halfback Reggie Bush. Williams, as the No. 1 pick, wasn't a quarterback and took a smart deal for him and a favorable deal for the Texans. Had Bush been the No. 1 pick, the guarantees would have been for much more than $26.5 million. Given the normal increase in guarantees for quarterbacks taken at the No. 1 pick, Russell's agents can justify a guarantee demand for around $34-plus million. The Raiders appear to be willing to offer around $30 million or $31 million in guarantees even though Russell may question how the guarantee is funded. Talks have been at an impasse for more than a week. It's going to be hard for the Raiders to go above $30 million or $31 million so there will have to be tradeoffs from both sides to get something done. Expect things to heat up over the weekend or early next week. This still could be a long holdout, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X