Jamie Foxx Defends Vick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie Foxx Defends Vick?

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (August 23, 2007) – Access Hollywood’s Shaun Robinson recently sat down with Jamie Foxx for a candid talk about Jamie’s new gig – and even a hot button topic from the world of sports – Michael Vick’s dog fighting charges.

Jamie is busy doing his thing on “The Foxxhole,” his weekly show on Sirius Satellite Radio show. And while an incredible LG Beach House in Malibu provides a spectacular summer backdrop, no subject is off-limits with Jamie, as Shaun found out during her stay as a special guest.

“Is he really going to jail?” Jamie asked Shaun about Michael Vick.

“Yes, he’s going to plea bargain,” Shaun said.

Although Vick has been almost universally condemned since agreeing to plead guilty to dog fighting conspiracy, according to Foxx, people should not be so quick to judge the NFL star.

“It’s a cultural thing, I think,” Jamie said. “Most brothers didn’t know that, you know. I used to see dogs fighting in the neighborhood all the time. I didn’t know that was Fed time. So, mike probably just didn’t read his handbook on what not to do as a black star.”

While he has a way of lightening even the most sensitive of subjects, Jamie is sincere in his belief that the quarterback is not being given a fair shake.

“I know that cruelty to animals is bad, but sometimes people shoot people and kill people and don’t get time,” Jamie continued. “I think in this situation, he really didn’t know the extent of it, so I always give him the benefit of the doubt.”

“It’s a cultural thing, I think,” ?? Way to go Jamie Foxx you just threw Millions of black people under the bus by basically calling them all dog killers. Im sure there are a whole lot of Black people out there that dont include dog fighting and cruelty to Animals as part of their culture (And im one of Them), what an idiot this guy is
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

That's a lame excuse. He's black, so it's socially acceptable and he didn't know any better. If a white celebrity called Vick a stupid black brother who doesn't know any better (esentially Foxx's excuse for Vick), that person would be lambasted and possibly fired from any media job s/he had.

I live around rednecks that raise cocks for **** fighting (ok, the profanity filter kicked in, let's try rooster fighting). It may be part of their culture, but they know very well that it is illegal. They don't care, and think the chances of getting caught/prosecuted is low, but they know it is illegal.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

He didn't mean black culture... he meant the specific culture he grew up in, which happens to have a large group of black people. Vick grew up in the south, and in the hood, and Foxx's only point is that in that specific culture many people probably didn't know how big a crime it is is to fight dogs. It has to be read in context, he wasn't defending him for doing it, he was defending him by saying he probably didn't understand the extent of what he was doing wrong because the way he grew up he wasn't informed of how bad it is. Where they grew up, and by they I mean Foxx and Vick, it is probably an accepted thing and happens all the time. I don't believe what Vick did was right, but if Foxx happens to be right about Vick then I can honestly say that I do understand why it had happened.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Ignorance of the law is no excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
          Ignorance of the law is no excuse...
          That's why I personally still don't condone it. Then again, I didn't grow up around it so maybe even Foxx has just seen it so often and all that, that he really doesn't even pay attention to it anymore. I don't know, all I know is that based on the quote provided it doesn't seem as if he is defending Vick so much as he is defending Vick's lack of knowledge.

Besides, is it really ignorance of the law if you never had an opportunity or a way to find out it was the law??

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688 View Post
            He didn't mean black culture... he meant the specific culture he grew up in, which happens to have a large group of black people. Vick grew up in the south, and in the hood, and Foxx's only point is that in that specific culture many people probably didn't know how big a crime it is is to fight dogs. It has to be read in context, he wasn't defending him for doing it, he was defending him by saying he probably didn't understand the extent of what he was doing wrong because the way he grew up he wasn't informed of how bad it is. Where they grew up, and by they I mean Foxx and Vick, it is probably an accepted thing and happens all the time. I don't believe what Vick did was right, but if Foxx happens to be right about Vick then I can honestly say that I do understand why it had happened.
            As I said, I live with rednecks that raise, fight and bet on Roosters. It is part of their culture AND they know it is against the law and they can get in trouble, they just don't think they will.

It's a cop out excuse the Foxx is using, pure and simple.

Foxx said:

“It’s a cultural thing, I think,” Jamie said. “Most brothers didn’t know that, you know. I used to see dogs fighting in the neighborhood all the time. I didn’t know that was Fed time. So, mike probably just didn’t read his handbook on what not to do as a black star.
            Didn't read his handbook as a "black star." Not an NFL start. Not as a celebrity athlete. A "black star".

Does anyone here really believe that either Jamie Foxx or Michael Vick didn't think that dog fighting and illegal gambling rings were illegal?

Come on, let's be real.
            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator View Post
              As I said, I live with rednecks that raise, fight and bet on Roosters. It is part of their culture AND they know it is against the law and they can get in trouble, they just don't think they will.

It's a cop out excuse the Foxx is using, pure and simple.

Foxx said:

Didn't read his handbook as a "black star." Not an NFL start. Not as a celebrity athlete. A "black star".

Does anyone here really believe that either Jamie Foxx or Michael Vick didn't think that dog fighting and illegal gambling rings were illegal?

Come on, let's be real.
              I didn't say either of them actually think that it isn't illegal, but there is a good chance that he wasn't BSing about young black kids who do that same thing really don't know/think it is. I figure they both probably knew, but it doesn't change what he said.

And if you look at the things said at all times about black people, whether stars or not, other black people will always say something like that. Unfortunately we live in a society where not only are a lot of black people right when they say that something happened because of his race... but way too many use that. He isn't saying black star the way we would expect a white person to... I think he is saying it in an effort to say that this whole thing was racially motivated.

Then again... what the hell do I know??lol

Comment

I didn't say either of them actually think that it isn't illegal, but there is a good chance that he wasn't BSing about young black kids who do that same thing really don't know/think it is. I figure they both probably knew, but it doesn't change what he said.

And if you look at the things said at all times about black people, whether stars or not, other black people will always say something like that. Unfortunately we live in a society where not only are a lot of black people right when they say that something happened because of his race... but way too many use that. He isn't saying black star the way we would expect a white person to... I think he is saying it in an effort to say that this whole thing was racially motivated.

Then again... what the hell do I know??lol
                I agree that he is saying that the whole thing is racially motivated, because as you say, that is pretty much par for the course far too often. Especially when it comes to black celebrities/athletes, if they get caught doing something ethically or legally wrong, certain (not all) other black celebrities/activists immediately say that it is a race thing. Whether or not a crime was committed doesn't matter, it is simply a racially motivated attack in the minds of some people.

Do I think that some black and white people in this country not know that dog fighting and betting with bookies and illegal gambling operations is illegal? Yes, I am sure there is a very small number of people, likely the ones that don't read and don't own TVs. A tiny percentage, but they exist.

Do I think that multi-millionaire comedians and football stars who have been explicitly told not to associate themselves with illegal gambling operations are 'ignorant' of the law? Heck no, they no.

As I said, I don't live in the inner city, but I have been around some of the biggest rednecks you will ever meet. Around here, **** (rooster) fighting is very common. Since there is no sports betting in the area, back room poker games and local bookies are quite common. People are very aware that they are illegal. One of the guys I know that raises roosters said something along the lines of, "I guess I might have to be more careful, I never figured it was worth anyones time to go after dog and **** fights" or something like that.

Don't confuse contempt for the law and ignorance of it.

sigpic

Comment

I agree that he is saying that the whole thing is racially motivated, because as you say, that is pretty much par for the course far too often. Especially when it comes to black celebrities/athletes, if they get caught doing something ethically or legally wrong, certain (not all) other black celebrities/activists immediately say that it is a race thing. Whether or not a crime was committed doesn't matter, it is simply a racially motivated attack in the minds of some people.

Do I think that some black and white people in this country not know that dog fighting and betting with bookies and illegal gambling operations is illegal? Yes, I am sure there is a very small number of people, likely the ones that don't read and don't own TVs. A tiny percentage, but they exist.

Do I think that multi-millionaire comedians and football stars who have been explicitly told not to associate themselves with illegal gambling operations are 'ignorant' of the law? Heck no, they no.

As I said, I don't live in the inner city, but I have been around some of the biggest rednecks you will ever meet. Around here, **** (rooster) fighting is very common. Since there is no sports betting in the area, back room poker games and local bookies are quite common. People are very aware that they are illegal. One of the guys I know that raises roosters said something along the lines of, "I guess I might have to be more careful, I never figured it was worth anyones time to go after dog and **** fights" or something like that.

Don't confuse contempt for the law and ignorance of it.
                  I agree with all of your points... and I don't confuse contempt and ignorance. I do believe that Vick did know the law and chose to ignore it. The only thing I was trying to say was that even if Foxx is pretty much totally wrong with saying it for this situation, he is probably right that young kids deep in the hood don't understand the magnitude of their actions with dogfighting.

However, I don't want to keep up the possible air of this still being an argument because I fully agree, so I will continue a conversation if there is any to be had, but I want to be clear that I am not arguing with you and feel the same way as you.

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
                    LOS ANGELES, Calif. (August 23, 2007) – Access Hollywood’s Shaun Robinson recently sat down with Jamie Foxx for a candid talk about Jamie’s new gig – and even a hot button topic from the world of sports – Michael Vick’s dog fighting charges.

Jamie is busy doing his thing on “The Foxxhole,” his weekly show on Sirius Satellite Radio show. And while an incredible LG Beach House in Malibu provides a spectacular summer backdrop, no subject is off-limits with Jamie, as Shaun found out during her stay as a special guest.

“Is he really going to jail?” Jamie asked Shaun about Michael Vick.

“Yes, he’s going to plea bargain,” Shaun said.

Although Vick has been almost universally condemned since agreeing to plead guilty to dog fighting conspiracy, according to Foxx, people should not be so quick to judge the NFL star.

“It’s a cultural thing, I think,” Jamie said. “Most brothers didn’t know that, you know. I used to see dogs fighting in the neighborhood all the time. I didn’t know that was Fed time. So, mike probably just didn’t read his handbook on what not to do as a black star.”

While he has a way of lightening even the most sensitive of subjects, Jamie is sincere in his belief that the quarterback is not being given a fair shake.

“I know that cruelty to animals is bad, but sometimes people shoot people and kill people and don’t get time,” Jamie continued. “I think in this situation, he really didn’t know the extent of it, so I always give him the benefit of the doubt.”

“It’s a cultural thing, I think,” ?? Way to go Jamie Foxx you just threw Millions of black people under the bus by basically calling them all dog killers. Im sure there are a whole lot of Black people out there that dont include dog fighting and cruelty to Animals as part of their culture (And im one of Them), what an idiot this guy is
                    didn't know foxx was a complete moron, i guess we know who will play vick in the mike vick movie now.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with all of your points... and I don't confuse contempt and ignorance. I do believe that Vick did know the law and chose to ignore it. The only thing I was trying to say was that even if Foxx is pretty much totally wrong with saying it for this situation, he is probably right that young kids deep in the hood don't understand the magnitude of their actions with dogfighting.

However, I don't want to keep up the possible air of this still being an argument because I fully agree, so I will continue a conversation if there is any to be had, but I want to be clear that I am not arguing with you and feel the same way as you.
                      And I don't want to argue either. I get a little too riled up sometimes with the double standards that exist, whether it be over race issues, different stadards between political parties (more specifically, it's ok if something wrong was done by someone in your [general you, not you that I am responding to] party, but it is an outrage if it was someone on the opposite side of the aisle), etc.

sigpic

Comment

Foxx said:

Come on, let's be real.
                        This is just Foxx putting a little humour on a situation he believes is serious, maybe even more important than the dog-fighting issue. First of all, they went after Vick hard because he's a celebrity; no way would a non-celebrity generate this much attention, resources, or scrutiny. He mentioned "black" star, because he obviously believes that there are still racial stirrings even in our modern world. Since I'm not black, I can't pretend to understand any difficulties they encounter day-to-day, but from the news, I don't doubt it.

So when Foxx says "handbook for a black star", he means you have to be extra careful in your situation. While you didn't see anyone arrested in your neighborhood while you were growing up, watching what seemed like a normal everyday occurence (dog-fighting), it becomes a huge deal when you're a black star.

At least that's how I understand it. And if that's his point, I agree, it's definitely a much bigger issue worth more attention than dog-fighting.

Comment

So is it a "cultural thing" for African Americans to blindly defend other African Americans? No offense to those African Americans who don't!

I haven't talked to too many people that think what Vick did is as bad as killing people.

Yet people keep insisting on making this into something it's not...."The same as hunting"....."Can't treat him like he killed humans"....."It's a cultural thing. No big deal"....."You're all racist"....."You're just pissed cause your daughter is dating a black man".<----My personal favorite, since I don't have a daughter!

Why can't it just be what it is?....A sick, ****ed up way to throw your career away!

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                            Why can't it just be what it is?....A sick, ****ed up way to throw your career away!
                            Despite anyone's possition on this issue, I think we can all agree on that.

Comment

That's a lame excuse. He's black, so it's socially acceptable and he didn't know any better.
                              exactly. we just watched foxx stereotype an entire culture. yet he doesn't get called out for any sort of racism? because he's also black? how does that make sense?

this isn't a matter of culture, it's a matter of stupid. how can you not know dog fighting's illegal? and if you don't, how the hell can you think it's right?

even moreso, all you just have to think is "would the cops like this?" and the obvious answer might be god no. ESPECIALLY if you're a professional football player with 130 mil in endorsements, and you supposedly graduated from a prestigious university. and you don't know dog fighting might be a bad thing? hell, this guy didn't even have to think it would be illegal-it would be reputation suicide. and as a football player, you'd better care about your rep. it's your meal ticket.

at the end of the day, if you fight dogs, you're sick in the head. you have to have a very skewed understanding of right and wrong to think it's ok. and there's no excuse at all in his case. he wouldn't deny it if he didn't know it was wrong. or he'd just be trying to save face. which like i said, is his meal ticket and he knows it.

no wonder foxx is friends with kanye west. they're both morons. egumakated mother****ers.
                              Last edited by NinjaPirateFunk; 08-25-2007, 01:17 AM.
                              Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                              Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Working...
                              X