Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best QB mid-late 80's not named Elway, Montana, or Marino

(poll above)

Watching the Broncos x Browns telecast, it was fun hearing Bernie Kosar commentating. It got me thinking ...

Era mid to late 80s, which QBs in this time period were the best of their era, not including Elway, Montana, or Marino?
    Boomer Esiason (Cincinatti)
    6.06%
    Warren Moon (Houston)
    36.36%
    Jim Kelly (Buffalo)
    36.36%
    Bernie Kosar (Cleveland)
    6.06%
    Randall Cunningham (Philadelphia)
    9.09%
    Phil Simms (New York)
    6.06%
    Neil Lomax (St. Louis)
    0.00%
    Dave Krieg (Seattle)
    0.00%
    Other ....
    0.00%

I would say warren moon, he always seemed to put up some nice numbers every year, and he was mobile too.

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers View Post
      I would say warren moon, he always seemed to put up some nice numbers every year, and he was mobile too.

My favorite is Warren Moon, but Jim Kelly lead his team to four straight SB's....

Comment

There is only 1 answer:

The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

If you put it in that time frame, it has to be Moon or Kosar, but if you extend it just a few years, it is Kelly without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlensbest3233 View Post
            If you put it in that time frame, it has to be Moon or Kosar, but if you extend it just a few years, it is Kelly without question.
            Yeah, I agree, Kelly was awesome in the early 90s. He should've had at least 1 ring, if he had a nerves-of-steel kicker like Vinatieri or Elam.

Kosar was so close to the Superbowl, twice or thrice I think, if not for Elway. I'm glad he got his ring, even as a backup.

Moon was fun to watch; he seemed so accurate, this is at an era where you can do more to a quarterback and a wide receiver more than you can today, leading to less productive numbers.

Comment

that true.. i was sloppy and voted Kelly when thinking Super Bowls and wasn't reallly paying attention to the time period.

I never thought much of Kosar... so I would most definitely go with Moon.

Comment

If you include the early 90's it would be

1) Jim Kelly - blowouts over the Chiefs and Raiders in the AFC Championship game including a 51-3 score over LA. 4 Superbowls and the K-Gun offense was one of the more dominant forces in that day. Total mystery how they didn't win 1 of those Superbowls.

2) Warren Moon - Talk about one of the greatest pure passers ever.

3) Bernie Kosar - intelligent, gritty. Those comebacks Elway pulled over the Browns... that was because Kosar was lighting it up...
                You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

No love for Neil Lomax?

The guy did throw 7 touchdown passes in one quarter in college!!

Comment

For that time frame I'd have to say Moon, Kosar was good, but Moon had an arm almost the equal of Elway's for power, and he played in an O designed to use it........

Coupel of years later though, and I'd have definitely gone for Jim Kelly
                    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                    You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Warren Moon cuz he played for KC....
                      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Jim Kelly lead his team to 4 SB, never did win the big one.

OH and Jim is a HOFer

^^^^^^^^^^
                        made by Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19 View Post
                          For that time frame I'd have to say Moon, Kosar was good, but Moon had an arm almost the equal of Elway's for power, and he played in an O designed to use it........

Coupel of years later though, and I'd have definitely gone for Jim Kelly
                          No. He was not even close to Elway on power. Moon was a combination of being able to thow far, accurately, and with a feathery touch...kind of a poor man's Marino.

Comment

Working...
                          X