Question about Ryan Matthews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Ryan Matthews?

Let me start this off, I am not saying Ryan Matthews is not good. I'm just wondering hwhy he so highly and I mean highly thought of. A lot of people feel that he can carry the chargers on his back, and do it as a rookie. I'm not saying he won't, but I can't just wrap my mind around why a rookie running back is viewed as a missing piece that will push a team over the top for a championship. I tried to view his pros- running back is probally the easiest position to move from the NCAA to the pros, he went to a team with an established QB, a decent offense line (depending on whether or not McNeil holds out it may be a below average offensive line), a team with a legitimate passing game(with or without Jackson it's still a threat) however that's about it. His stats last year, 276 attempts, 1806 yards, 6.6 avg, 19 TD, 11 rec, 122 yds. He's not much of a recording threat out of the backfield, not to mention he did not beat a ranked opponent, and did not win a bowl game. So for a guy that can carry a team he couldn't do it in the NCAA. He wasn't even arguably the best runningback in the class, CJ spiller is more dynamic and can affect more facets of the game. So why is Matthews felt to be the next LT? Somebody please explain.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

because the chargers running game was absolutely terrible last season, and anyone is better than an aging LT. sproles certainly can't be the lead back

mathews projects to be a good fantasy back, if just on carries alone

Comment

This is destined for the smack forum I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
        This is destined for the smack forum I'm afraid.
        Nope... I'm sure ROD and the others will be on their way over here...

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
          He's not much of a recording threat out of the backfield, .
          Good, I hate when athletes try to become rappers.
          Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire
          Leaning out to catch the sun's rays. A lesson to be applied.
          Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?
          -
          Pearl Jam

Comment

Originally posted by Bahshay View Post
            NICE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bahshay View Post

Not even Ron Ron?

Comment

Originally posted by lolcopter View Post
                because the chargers running game was absolutely terrible last season, and anyone is better than an aging LT. sproles certainly can't be the lead back

Right place - right time for Matthews. He will get 250 carriers and another 30 - 50 catches.....and all the while, it is Rivers that will be counted on to carry the team and not Matthews. It's just an ideal situation for a rookie.

Comment

Because everyone knows that being ranked 31st in the league in rushing was 100% Lt's fault. Regardless of sproles YPC average being almost a full yard per carry less than any other year. It had nothing to do with a cobbled togeather o-line, or aging talent that Marty established, nope add one RB, and that's all you need.

Likewise if Norv trades away picks to move up and get a back with a scouting profile like this.......

"......Concerns about Mathews generally involve his durability. His freshman and sophomore seasons were marred by injury, and he was sidelined by a concussion late in his junior season of 2009.

Mathews' pass-catching ability is also questioned — he had just 19 receptions in three years at Fresno — and so is the competition he faced in college. He played in the defensively challenged Western Athletic Conference, although he did run well against schools like Cincinnati and Wisconsin.

Read more at Suite101: San Diego Chargers 2010 Draft: Finding Running Back Is High Priority for SD http://national-football-league-nfl....#ixzz0uWeYTzlr

Just force feed him the ball, place all of your hope on him, and know he's going to be able to single handedly carry the running game, and turn this storied franchise into a contender........

or be the scape goat, as this team suddenly fails expectations yet again
                  "

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post
                    Because everyone knows that being ranked 31st in the league in rushing was 100% Lt's fault. Regardless of sproles YPC average being almost a full yard per carry less than any other year. It had nothing to do with a cobbled togeather o-line, or aging talent that Marty established, nope add one RB, and that's all you need.

Just force feed him the ball, place all of your hope on him, and know he's going to be able to single handedly carry the running game, and turn this storied franchise into a contender........

or be the scape goat, as this team suddenly fails expectations yet again
                    "
                    Actually, it is AJ Smith and not Norv Turner that made the decision to move up in the draft to get a RB. He is also the one who not only didn't address the OL in the draft - he might be willing to let his Left Tackle sit out the first 10 games.

So, as the GM, he feels their 31st ranking was 100% LT's fault. One thing is certain....we will find out who is right in 52 days!!

Comment

this isn't smack so i will be more objective.

i am not one of those who thinks that Mathews is a lock to have instant success.

but i do think the reason why people are saying that he is a "missing piece" is because of how potent their passing game is and how bad their running game is.

not only that but there isn't anyone els on their roster that can really challenge him for the starting position.

sproles is still sproles and cant be the feature back, even tho he will be in there a lot, just like he was for LT.

if marcus mcneil isn't in there (and the chargers run blocking is suspect with him in there) Mathews may struggle in his rookie season.

but even then, i think he will put up decent numbers. so from a fantasy perspective i think he is a lock to put up decent numbers but i am not sure how good he will be with that run blocking the chargers have.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lolcopter View Post

agreed, but a lot of it was the chargers run blocking not just LT.
                        sigpic

Comment

to those of you that are saying Mathews will need to carry his team......umm have you ever heard of rivers?

Mathews can struggle and it wouldn't cripple his team as long as the passing game is still potent, last year proved that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                            Let me start this off, I am not saying Ryan Matthews is not good. I'm just wondering hwhy he so highly and I mean highly thought of. A lot of people feel that he can carry the chargers on his back, and do it as a rookie. I'm not saying he won't, but I can't just wrap my mind around why a rookie running back is viewed as a missing piece that will push a team over the top for a championship. I tried to view his pros- running back is probally the easiest position to move from the NCAA to the pros, he went to a team with an established QB, a decent offense line (depending on whether or not McNeil holds out it may be a below average offensive line), a team with a legitimate passing game(with or without Jackson it's still a threat) however that's about it. His stats last year, 276 attempts, 1806 yards, 6.6 avg, 19 TD, 11 rec, 122 yds. He's not much of a recording threat out of the backfield, not to mention he did not beat a ranked opponent, and did not win a bowl game. So for a guy that can carry a team he couldn't do it in the NCAA. He wasn't even arguably the best runningback in the class, CJ spiller is more dynamic and can affect more facets of the game. So why is Matthews felt to be the next LT? Somebody please explain.

Its mathews, not matthews...

Okay. so now we begin.

Mathews basically smashed (#4)boise states defense for 240 yards i think it was.

he basically was the only reason that fresno state was close in that game.

He is a north/south rb that doesn't waste time dancing around, but rather runs right through defenders.

he is patient and waits for the holes to open before running right through them, which is where most rookies that i've seen play lack.

He played cincy (8th) and basically ran all over them as well, i think gathering about 150 yards.

The one game FS got smashed was when he got injured in like the first quarter, so its obvious that he was the only thing that FS had going for them that season.

Another stat you should look at is that he has never once fumbled. Not lost fumbles, but fumbles in general. 0 in 3 years.

The only thing i was questioning on his nfl career was his speed, but he showed that he has that too by running a 4.4 as a 5'11 225 lbs rb...

I just don't see how he wasn't the best RB in this draft.

Chargers will have a great offense next season i think, and its sad to admit... lets just hope our defense is better than their offense... because in my opinion our offense > their defense.

I project RM will get the ROY... with 1200 yds.

gotta defend my man mathews, sorry.

oh and btw, this post contains a lot of "he playeds" as a sarcastic response to the way you think that one person should be able to win the game for the team. you are judging the team and not the player. by saying that he didn't beat a ranked team shows a lack of knowledge. He played 3 ranked teams (or 2) they just happened to be top 5 teams (or top 10). He brought those games very close to the last minute. I don't see a question of clutchness at all.

although i am very bias
                            Last edited by 12and4; 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I think he will do decent but not much better honestly than moreno did last year for us. He will help but once teams figure out that SD's offensive line is crap anyways then defenses will wise up to the idea that they can get the same pressure rushing less than 8 than if they crowd the box.

For SD's sake I hope mcneil comes back and somehow their patchwork offensive line stays together. For our sake I hope he holds out. Honestly I doubt he will be the game changer but he may divert "some" of the attention away from the pass game. Although missing jackson no matter how you cut it hurts for them. Wether Matthews makes up that difference we won't know until September really.

Comment

Working...
                              X