X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Alastor View Post
    It was discussed. Just not with any of us in the room, so we can't really say what the specifics were.
    Well I'm aware that the lawyers aren't here to shed light on it. I was more interested in the opinions of the people I actually have access to.

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied
    Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
    Like I said, I'm not hating on or attacking the new section, I'm not even saying that it would ever become an issue. I was just curious if it had even been discussed and playing Devil's Advocate. It appears as though this was this first time it was brought up based on the responses.
    It was discussed. Just not with any of us in the room, so we can't really say what the specifics were.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    So what you're saying is that you think it's against the law to try and win customers over to your own business?

That's like saying it's illegal for Pizza Hut to solicit customers from Taco Bell, even though they are both owned by Yum Brands, Inc.

Trust us. It's fine.
    Well that's not what I alluded to but whatever. And in the situation that I put in my post, it would in fact be a breach of the franchise agreement for most businesses.

I bet if Pizza Hut started selling Bacon Club Chalupas there would be an issue.

Like I said, I'm not hating on or attacking the new section, I'm not even saying that it would ever become an issue. I was just curious if it had even been discussed and playing Devil's Advocate. It appears as though this was this first time it was brought up based on the responses.
    Last edited by kishzilla; 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jetrazor74
    replied
    But wouldn't it be a conflict of interests for the Denver franchise to solicit those customers? What you've brought up is more analogous to what we had before we created these separate boards.
    So what you're saying is that you think it's against the law to try and win customers over to your own business?

That's like saying it's illegal for Pizza Hut to solicit customers from Taco Bell, even though they are both owned by Yum Brands, Inc.

Trust us. It's fine.

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied
    Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Interesting take.

'NFL franchise' is the key phrase...

Hard to say on where 'ownership' of some of that would be. I think it's mainly considered joint. I'm guessing though.
    Well, we have this smiley:

I don't think we asked the Raiders how they felt about it, but I'm quite certain they were run by the legal department before they were approved (most of them anyway, and I believe this is one that was).

Leave a comment:

• jetrazor74
    replied
    But does the official NFL version of the Chargers Message board have exclusive rights amongst official NFL boards?

That's what I'm getting at. It has nothing to do with fan created boards etc.

I guess the best way I can explain it would be something like a Franchise with territory rights. Say a Carpet Cleaning business. One franchise owns the rights to Denver, and another owns the rights to say Boulder. The Denver franchise cant go start cleaning carpets in Boulder because it's taking away from the Boulder franchises revenue from that territory that they own the rights to.

I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just curious.
    We created a section for serious, non-smack talk about the other teams in the AFC West. We have that right. People have the right to discuss other teams in the NFL on a Broncos message board.

If Chargers fans want to forsake their own board for this one, there's nothing they can do about it.

Trust me, this was cleared with the Denver Broncos, I'm sure they appreciate your insight, but their lawyers already checked.

Thanks for the concern, though.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to stop a Boulder resident from going to the store in Denver to have a rug cleaned.
    But wouldn't it be a conflict of interests for the Denver franchise to solicit those customers? What you've brought up is more analogous to what we had before we created these separate boards.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    But does the official NFL version of the Chargers Message board have exclusive rights amongst official NFL boards?

I guess the best way I can explain it would be something like a Franchise with territory rights. Say a Carpet Cleaning business. One franchise owns the rights to Denver, and another owns the rights to say Boulder. The Denver franchise cant go start cleaning carpets in Boulder because it's taking away from the Boulder franchises revenue from that territory that they own the rights to.

Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to stop a Boulder resident from going to the store in Denver to have a rug cleaned.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    They don't have any exclusive rights to a Charger's forum or else private message boards would be put out of business.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    Originally posted by Alastor View Post
    I think the logos belong to the NFL as well as the teams.

We're part of the NFL. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is we can use their logos all we want. The reverse is also true.

The logo is good for revenue, regardless of how it appears.
    Interesting take.

'NFL franchise' is the key phrase...

Hard to say on where 'ownership' of some of that would be. I think it's mainly considered joint. I'm guessing though.

I don't think the Chargers can market much in the way of products that aren't approved by the NFL.

I hear that the new look of our website (the main one, not the forums) was universal to the whole league.

Leave a comment:

• 12and4
    replied
    If they were to migrate, they can't do anything about it.

They cannot control WHERE chargers fans talk... that would be against the law.

if a whole bunch of chargers fans want to chat at a broncos forums, they can...

as another poster said, they should make their forums more approachable.

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied
    They don't have any exclusive rights to a Charger's forum or else private message boards would be put out of business.

If we started using their logos, then they'd have a legitimate complaint, but that's different.
    I think the logos belong to the NFL as well as the teams.

We're part of the NFL. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is we can use their logos all we want. The reverse is also true.

The logo is good for revenue, regardless of how it appears.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    They could buy ad space here!

Leave a comment:

• jetrazor74
    replied

If we started using their logos, then they'd have a legitimate complaint, but that's different.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Fargo View Post
    The solution there is for them to produce a better, more appealing forum. I mean, they should be ashamed if we take a chunk out of their population.
    Well we already have TBH. There have been quite a few people that have come here and said that's why they're here instead. It's my personal opinion that we've even had some Mods from that board trolling here during last season.

My question was more to the legal aspect.

I realize that the solution would be for them to create a better environment, but it's pretty obvious that isn't something they're concerned with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X