No announcement yet.

Chargers trade for Patrick Crayton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day after trading for WR Patrick Crayton, the Chargers released veteran WR Josh Reed.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
      i think vj gets dealt now

like maybe even saturday (today)

also i don't think our wrs matter as much as the qb does
      (personal opinion)
      definitely true. i don't think any position on the team matters as much as the QB.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
        definitely true. i don't think any position on the team matters as much as the QB.
        Center is a very important position as well imo.

Comment

With Rivers throwing to him Crayton is easily your #2. Nothin against Legadu but I think Crayton with not-Romo is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
            Center is a very important position as well imo.
            yes but not as important as the QB. the chargers lost their probowl center most of the year last year and didn't seem to miss a beat.

i don't know if that would happen if we lost rivers most of the year, especially considering we had a garbage running game.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
              With Rivers throwing to him Crayton is easily your #2. Nothin against Legadu but I think Crayton with not-Romo is better.
              I'm guessing that Legedu is still the #2 and Crayton only gets on the field in 3wr sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                I'm guessing that Legedu is still the #2 and Crayton only gets on the field in 3wr sets.
                Crayton doesn't have the potential to make plays Legedu does.
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  Crayton doesn't have the potential to make plays Legedu does.
                  Been a fan of Naanee myself for a while now, and I'm glad he's getting his shot instead of appearing for once a game at 3rd and long only to end up moving the chains then going back to his home on the bench.

I must say that I'm not thrilled about the Crayton trade. One of the upsides of having VJ out is that we were scouring the ranks of UDFA's to find some diamonds in the rough, and AJ has a nose for them. I was excited about Seyi Ajirotutu and Jeremy Williams. Ajirotutu goes to our practice squad and Williams gets picked up by the Eagles and put on their practice squad. I guess I'm miffed that we went out and spent a draft pick to grab a known quantity on the downside of his career when we could have put some reps into a potential starter.

Yes I know it's good practice to give players time to develop, but what the heck do we really expect them to develop into when they are riding pine?

Trading for Crayton is in a way sending "a bit" of a "win now" message. If that was our path why haven't we paid VJ and McNeil?

Without Crayton I do not believe we would have won the Superbowl, with him I don't believe we will win the Superbowl so why not get some experience into Ajirotutu and PS Williams. Keep that draft pick, trade VJ and McNeil, and do a little retooling.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first person to say so and you can all prepare a hearty serving of crow for me but that's the way I feel.

Bottom Line -
                  Crayton for a 6/7 is a nice deal for the Chargers, I just have a problem with the philosophy behind it.

Am I insane on this one? Not really sure so please feel free to make yourself my moral compass.
                  sigpic

Comment

6th and 7th round draft picks are basically throwaway picks. Neither our 6th or 7th rounder made the team this year.

The staff obviously didn't feel comfortable with the depth that we have right now at WR. If Crayton sees the field more than Buster, I think the writing is on the wall. Everybody loves to rave about this "potential" that Buster is supposed to possess, but if he can't see the field this year, then it should be clear to everyone that he's simply not that talented.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
                      Yes I know it's good practice to give players time to develop, but what the heck do we really expect them to develop into when they are riding pine?

Am I insane on this one? Not really sure so please feel free to make yourself my moral compass.
                      Well, I know it doesn't happen often but a PS WR who works hard could turn into a Rod Smith. Hopefully not for your team but to answer your question. :-)

Thought about answering the second one about being insane but this is the happy place for Chargers fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X