Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phillip Rivers, peaked or on the rise?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phillip Rivers, peaked or on the rise?

    I was having a conversation with my buddy earlier today and he was telling me that he is scared because he is afraid Phillip Rivers has yet to peak. That he's still learning and getting even better as he goes, and has yet to start playing at an elite level.

    I on the other hand was saying that Rivers is pretty much at his peak right now. The only thing holding him back is a whole functioning unit. Give him an elite offensive line, elite running back, and decent wide-outs and he will pretty much do all that he can do. I think Rivers is a great Quarterback, definately a clutch and top 10. But I personally don't see him climbing much higher. I see him winning a SB or two in his career but I dont see him as the next Montana or Unitas. What do you guys think?
    29
    No, he is still on the rise and has yet to peak.
    44.83%
    13
    Yes, as a player he has peaked. He is just being held down by the rest of the team.
    55.17%
    16

  • #2
    I think he's peaked. However, you really cannot play the position any better than he has the past two years. He's playing at a HOF level right now and if he continues this pace will for sure be a top 10 all time QB if not top 5.

    His YPA tells the story.

    Comment


    • #3
      He's very young.

      As Elway and many others have shown us over the years, youth and speed is no match for wisdom and treachery.

      He could get better.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think he's peaked, but thats not an insult to the guy. He is playing at an extremely high level and it would be tough to do much better.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think Rivers has peaked he's a great player no doubt about it and is top 5 QB as munch as I hate to say it. He could get better later in his career by wisdom kinda like Elway did at the end of his career.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            He is definitely still improving.

            Much like Manning, Brady and Brees, his edge comes in the mental aspect of the game. He doesn't have a great arm or even average mobility, but he can absolutely dissect a defense by recognizing coverages and understanding who will be open. In that respect, he is only getting better through experience and added preparation.

            Cerebral quarterbacks peak in their 30's. It's the QB's who rely too much on their athleticism who peak in their 20's. That's why I expect Roethlisberger to struggle as he loses his ability to break tackles and throw on the run. Rivers, however, should continue to improve the way Manning has, year after year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Statistically......he probably peaked in 2009. With the loss of VJ and the addition of Ryan Mathews, I think the Chargers will get back to a more balanced, maybe even run first offense.

              Overall however, he is in his prime. From a leadership standpoint, this is now HIS team. For the past several years he has had to share that role with LT. I'm pretty excited to see what he does this year.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think he has peaked but that peak is VERY high. And I'm pretty sure he'll be able to maintain that level for a long long time. As much as i would like to punch him in the eye he's a top 5 QB for sure.
                sigpic
                photo by my GF...http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
                  Statistically......he probably peaked in 2009. With the loss of VJ and the addition of Ryan Mathews, I think the Chargers will get back to a more balanced, maybe even run first offense.

                  Overall however, he is in his prime. From a leadership standpoint, this is now HIS team. For the past several years he has had to share that role with LT. I'm pretty excited to see what he does this year.
                  This is exactly it. He has peaked physically but as the team grows and he gets the mental aspect down He will evolve and not have to play like he does now. Elway went through this when his team got balance. It could be scary for us.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Team is holding him back. Definitely. Yet Rivers may surprise us. I personally like the guy.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                      He is definitely still improving.

                      Much like Manning, Brady and Brees, his edge comes in the mental aspect of the game. He doesn't have a great arm or even average mobility, but he can absolutely dissect a defense by recognizing coverages and understanding who will be open. In that respect, he is only getting better through experience and added preparation.

                      Cerebral quarterbacks peak in their 30's. It's the QB's who rely too much on their athleticism who peak in their 20's. That's why I expect Roethlisberger to struggle as he loses his ability to break tackles and throw on the run. Rivers, however, should continue to improve the way Manning has, year after year.
                      This is possibly one of the best, most accurate posts I have read thus far.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
                        Team is holding him back. Definitely. Yet Rivers may surprise us. I personally like the guy.
                        I hate him because he's a Charger.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I just want Rivers to do learn to do 3 more things.

                          1. Hit the gym, I swear my wife has bigger muscles in her arms than he does.

                          2. Pump fake, would love to see him sprinkle them in a little more.

                          3. Get more into the play book and start calling his own plays more. Cause our OC is a nimrod and I swear that's who he's yelling at after stupid plays.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            PR is playing at a top level, and he seems to progress year by year. He's the least of our problems though. I just wish/hope the rest of the team could play at his level.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I love Rivers. Guy plays to win and won't roll over on you. He may come up short at times but its not because he doesn't give you the best he has each and everyday.

                              He's only going to get better. He just needs others to bring that competitive fire with him and they will get some deep playoff runs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X