Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• girlzarefanstoo
    replied
    Completely agree with ChargerBomb. Rivers stats may stay level or drop a little, rise a little over the next 10 years, but his command of the field is improving all the time. I think Kevin Acee quoted Norv (or someone else) saying something to that effect this last week if I remember right. The quote was something like he used to have a 180 degree grasp of the field and this year it has grown to 360 degrees.

All those that work with him will tell you he has an amazing grasp of the entire game and all positions. That is what sets the elites apart. Drew Brees has that, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do as well. I haven't watched Aaron Rodgers more than once or twice so I don't know about him.

Leave a comment:

• Puddleglum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
    LOL, I'd hate to see your wife then. Did you marry an olympic powerlifter?
    A nurse with freakishly strong fingers.

Agreed with #2 & #3. It's laughably sad when we continue to try to run the ball right up the middle on first down, when everyone knows it's coming. Who do they think they are fooling? The Norv defenders always say, "the inside runs set up the play-action!" The problem with that argument is that we are much more successful passing out of the shotgun, giving Rivers multiple targets to throw to. We don't need to sell the play-action all the time. We need to put the ball in our best player's hands and let him do his thing. Once the defense is on it's heels, THEN turn Mathews and Sproles loose. Pass to open up the run. Not the other way around.
    You totally nailed it right there. I'd give you CP but it's worth nothing. What the heck, giving away something that is nothing to others makes me feel better about myself. Besides, you earned it!

Leave a comment:

• Chargerbomb
    replied
    Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
    I just want Rivers to do learn to do 3 more things.

1. Hit the gym, I swear my wife has bigger muscles in her arms than he does.

2. Pump fake, would love to see him sprinkle them in a little more.

3. Get more into the play book and start calling his own plays more. Cause our OC is a nimrod and I swear that's who he's yelling at after stupid plays.
    LOL, I'd hate to see your wife then. Did you marry an olympic powerlifter?

I remember back at NC State, Rivers was benching 405 pounds. He's a strong dude. Football "armstrength" comes from throwing motion, the shoulder and core anyway, not the biceps or triceps. His throwing motion really prevents him from gunning the ball past 20 yards or so, but his accuracy, touch and timing more than makes up for that limitation.

Agreed with #2 & #3. It's laughably sad when we continue to try to run the ball right up the middle on first down, when everyone knows it's coming. Who do they think they are fooling? The Norv defenders always say, "the inside runs set up the play-action!" The problem with that argument is that we are much more successful passing out of the shotgun, giving Rivers multiple targets to throw to. We don't need to sell the play-action all the time. We need to put the ball in our best player's hands and let him do his thing. Once the defense is on it's heels, THEN turn Mathews and Sproles loose. Pass to open up the run. Not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• karnage
    replied
    as much as it pains me to say....I don't think he has peaked...The game tonight showed me as much....with basically no running game, and under constant pressure...he still didn't throw an int...and had 2 tds

Leave a comment:

• Houdini
    replied
    I love Rivers. Guy plays to win and won't roll over on you. He may come up short at times but its not because he doesn't give you the best he has each and everyday.

He's only going to get better. He just needs others to bring that competitive fire with him and they will get some deep playoff runs.

Leave a comment:

• Letsgobolts
    replied
    PR is playing at a top level, and he seems to progress year by year. He's the least of our problems though. I just wish/hope the rest of the team could play at his level.

Leave a comment:

• Puddleglum
    replied
    I just want Rivers to do learn to do 3 more things.

1. Hit the gym, I swear my wife has bigger muscles in her arms than he does.

2. Pump fake, would love to see him sprinkle them in a little more.

3. Get more into the play book and start calling his own plays more. Cause our OC is a nimrod and I swear that's who he's yelling at after stupid plays.

Leave a comment:

• Denver Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
    Team is holding him back. Definitely. Yet Rivers may surprise us. I personally like the guy.
    I hate him because he's a Charger.

Leave a comment:

• Denver Mike
    replied
    He is definitely still improving.

Much like Manning, Brady and Brees, his edge comes in the mental aspect of the game. He doesn't have a great arm or even average mobility, but he can absolutely dissect a defense by recognizing coverages and understanding who will be open. In that respect, he is only getting better through experience and added preparation.

Cerebral quarterbacks peak in their 30's. It's the QB's who rely too much on their athleticism who peak in their 20's. That's why I expect Roethlisberger to struggle as he loses his ability to break tackles and throw on the run. Rivers, however, should continue to improve the way Manning has, year after year.
    This is possibly one of the best, most accurate posts I have read thus far.

Leave a comment:

• LSIGRAD09
    replied
    Team is holding him back. Definitely. Yet Rivers may surprise us. I personally like the guy.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
    Statistically......he probably peaked in 2009. With the loss of VJ and the addition of Ryan Mathews, I think the Chargers will get back to a more balanced, maybe even run first offense.

Overall however, he is in his prime. From a leadership standpoint, this is now HIS team. For the past several years he has had to share that role with LT. I'm pretty excited to see what he does this year.
    This is exactly it. He has peaked physically but as the team grows and he gets the mental aspect down He will evolve and not have to play like he does now. Elway went through this when his team got balance. It could be scary for us.

Leave a comment:

• MightyHorse
    replied
    I think he has peaked but that peak is VERY high. And I'm pretty sure he'll be able to maintain that level for a long long time. As much as i would like to punch him in the eye he's a top 5 QB for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Boltheads
    replied
    Statistically......he probably peaked in 2009. With the loss of VJ and the addition of Ryan Mathews, I think the Chargers will get back to a more balanced, maybe even run first offense.

Overall however, he is in his prime. From a leadership standpoint, this is now HIS team. For the past several years he has had to share that role with LT. I'm pretty excited to see what he does this year.

Leave a comment:

• Chargerbomb
    replied
    He is definitely still improving.

Much like Manning, Brady and Brees, his edge comes in the mental aspect of the game. He doesn't have a great arm or even average mobility, but he can absolutely dissect a defense by recognizing coverages and understanding who will be open. In that respect, he is only getting better through experience and added preparation.

Cerebral quarterbacks peak in their 30's. It's the QB's who rely too much on their athleticism who peak in their 20's. That's why I expect Roethlisberger to struggle as he loses his ability to break tackles and throw on the run. Rivers, however, should continue to improve the way Manning has, year after year.

Leave a comment:

• Chillez
    replied
    I think Rivers has peaked he's a great player no doubt about it and is top 5 QB as munch as I hate to say it. He could get better later in his career by wisdom kinda like Elway did at the end of his career.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X