X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VJ had a deal in place.....

Vincent Jackson had one-year deal worked out with another NFL team

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 5, 2010 2:38 PM ET

Trading Vincent Jackson after yesterday's events is now much more difficult. It turns out that one team nearly completed a deal to acquire him before Saturday's soft deadline.

Florio contacted PFT headquarters from his family reunion to report that Jackson and an NFL team worked out a one-year deal yesterday, according to a league source. But the team and the Chargers couldn't agree on trade terms, scuttling the move for now.

We don't know what team tried to make the move. Seattle showed prior interest, and the Rams surfaced as a potential candidate during the day Saturday.

Yahoo! Sports reported that the Chargers previously asked for a second-round pick in 2011 and a third-round pick in 2012 in exchange for Jackson. That would likely be too expensive a price to pay if the team acquiring Jackson only got him on a one-year rental.

I really hope the Chargers don't trade him. Keep him on that team and let him sit out all season. I don't want them to get any picks in return, and I don't want any of this seasons opponents (Seahawks, Rams, etc.) getting any better.

Comment

Yeah, I don't believe Florio. Here is what Clark Judge had to say:

I was on a radio show Saturday afternoon when someone asked what surprised me about the NFL's final roster cuts, and I'll tell you what: That nothing happened with Vincent Jackson, the disgruntled wide receiver of the San Diego Chargers.

Vincent Jackson's monetary demands have made it difficult for the Bolts to trade him. (US Presswire) I could've sworn he'd be long gone by now ... but he's not ... and not because San Diego resisted, because it didn't. In fact, the Bolts were more than willing to deal the guy.
      At first, one NFC general manager told me, they asked for first- and third-round draft picks as compensation, but when that didn't fly they lowered their demands. In the end, he said, the price dropped so much so that, by the close of business Saturday, "they'd take almost anything."

Yet no deal was made, and there's a reason. "The money," he said. "It's way too much. They're asking for more than Brandon Marshall [five years, $50 million], and there's no way people are interested."

Sorry, Vincent, and my apologies to the Chargers. Looks like you get to spend another weekend together. down in the last 24 hours:

Comment

Wait... he's not worth more than Marshall?
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic
        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
          Hehehe... In his mind he is. And I'm sure that his agents have been stroking his ego, telling him that he's the best young receiver in the game, deserving of $10 million plus per year.

They played a dangerous game, and it looks like they aren't gonna get anything anytime soon. The big variable is what next year's CBA looks like. It would be hilarious if they kept the provision in there that restricted free-agents who hold out the whole year are once again RFA's for the next season; ie that VJ once again belongs to the Chargers as an RFA whenever football comes back. I can just picture those agents trying to save face at the bargaining table...

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
            I'd say he's worth the same as Marshall.....but, I wouldn't have paid Brandon $50 million either.

Comment

andre johnson(29) and Larry Fitzgerald(26) are in there prime. Calvin johnson (24) is younger then Vincent JAckson(27) and brandon marshall(26). so i wouldn't worry about it jackson will probably get a 6-7 mil per year contract.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
                I'd say he's worth the same as Marshall.....but, I wouldn't have paid Brandon $50 million either.
                Well if you look at the numbers Marshall is defintley worth more imo, but his contract was absurd. You can pay any WR that much now a days.

Comment

The whole Jackson thing has driven me nuts.

I think the worst thing VJ could have done was piss off AJ Smith and he did just that. I think it's so bad now that Smith will screw VJ out of playing this year and next if he can't send Jackson to the right team. By "right team" I mean of course a bottom dweller where he will never be heard from again.

AJ must cackle himself to sleep every night knowing that he sent a crappy QB to the Seahawks and will soon be sending Jackson to join him, both forever doomed to be cut before their contracts fully play out.

Last edited by Puddleglum; 09-07-2010, 08:56 AM. Reason: gramarammar
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X