Non-smack opinions of Mathews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-smack opinions of Mathews?

It's hard to get a real gauge on a player if you only see the smack side of things. Charger fans probably defended Mathews more than he deserved and Broncos fans probably bashed him more than he deserved. So, my question is, without the hindrance of smack rhetoric, how did Mathews look Monday night?

I was too busy watching my beloved Rockies so I didn't get to see much of the game. What I did see of him was a hard nosed looking runner. He gained between 3 and 7 yards on the few carries I saw. Again, he looked like more of a power runner and he is built like a brick you-know-what. I didn't see much shiftiness and it didn't look like he is an overly elusive runner, but my sample size was limited.

What do you Charger fans think?

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
    It's hard to get a real gauge on a player if you only see the smack side of things. Charger fans probably defended Mathews more than he deserved and Broncos fans probably bashed him more than he deserved. So, my question is, without the hindrance of smack rhetoric, how did Mathews look Monday night?

I was too busy watching my beloved Rockies so I didn't get to see much of the game. What I did see of him was a hard nosed looking runner. He gained between 3 and 7 yards on the few carries I saw. Again, he looked like more of a power runner and he is built like a brick you-know-what. I didn't see much shiftiness and it didn't look like he is an overly elusive runner, but my sample size was limited.

What do you Charger fans think?
    Good assessment. He runs with power, and he has the speed to turn the corner. He has good balance and the ability to run through arm tackles. His vision appears to be good as well. But I haven't seen the elusiveness or "wiggle" associated with top open-field running backs. The 1 time they threw it to him, he dropped it.

I would like to see what he can do in space. So far, he has been utilized mostly in between-the-tackles runs, with a couple pitches thrown in. He has the speed to outrun defenders, but I'm not sure if he has the quick-cutting ability to spin a safety around the way Jamaal Charles did against Weddle.

He runs a lot like Thomas Jones or Shonn Greene. Definitely a little faster than those 2, however. Powerful downhill runner who does his damage between the tackles. I'd expect the Chargers to give it to him about 20 times a game, so he should be good for 70-100 yards on average. He will likely get stronger as the game goes on, and wear down some defenses. I'm curious to see if he holds up the whole season. If he can show the breakaway ability that he had at Fresno State, that will be a huge bonus.

Comment

He reminds me of Mendenhall. He's a good one cut runner with good speed, but not a shifty back.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        He reminds me of Mendenhall. He's a good one cut runner with good speed, but not a shifty back.
        Yeah, that's probably a good comparison.

Comment

Thanks for the insight fellas.

Comment

I didn't get to see much of the game.

How did he do in the redzone? Is he good on short yardage? I would assume so, since he's builit like a you-know-what...but you never know.
            sigpic
            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
            -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
              I didn't get to see much of the game.

How did he do in the redzone? Is he good on short yardage? I would assume so, since he's builit like a you-know-what...but you never know.
              He didn't really get any redzone carries; Norf pulled him out and ran Sproles on a draw from inside the 5 at the end of the game for some crazy reason

He should be an effective short-yardage runner, but I expect Tolbert to vulture a lot of those goalline touches. If Mathews is a 12lb bowling ball, then Tolbert is a big ole 16lb bowling ball ready to knock people over. He brings back memories of Natrone Means.

Comment

To me mathews looked slower than I thought and like others have said, less shifty. But he does pack a punch when he runs, I was impressed with this, although not surpised since he is built like a you know what....
                So far:
                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

the stupid rain and field condition made this game an impossible indicator

Comment

I say he'll be a great RB.

He's got the same style as LT, so he's in a perfect place.

North south, powerful, fast... doesn't fumble very often...

he'll be great, and i look forward to the moreno/mathews rivalry

Comment

Based on 1 game, he looked a lot like Thomas Jones. Not a bad thing, TJ has been a very productive back in the NFL for a long time, just not a flashy one.

Mathews showed he can consistently run for positive yardage, but he didn't really show the big play ability. Now that may be due to a combination of the weather conditions, KC potentially overachieving on D, and the fact that it was his first game in the NFL.

So based on his body of work, I think San Diego got a good pick. Give Mathews the majority of the carries, and Sproles as a change of pace.
                      It will look a lot like the Broncos Anderson/Bell duo of a few years ago, or more recently Thomas Jones/ Leon Washington with the Jets two years ago.

But, one game doesn't define a career so I think we all will get a good idea of his ability at the end of the season.
                      Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                      Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Nasty, slippery field didn't give much indication of what will be to come. I agree with the assessments here so far. He has crazy good balance. He has breakaway speed and speed over a distance. LT would run out of gas on too long of a run, RM just keeps the pedal to the metal.

He missed quite a few reads and seams in this last game. He's getting more patient and working with his blockers instead of knocking them down. I think that in 2-3 games you'll start to see what he's capable of.

His high school coach is a friend of the family. He said he's the most special young man and player he's ever coached. Not just about physical ability, but intellect, motivation, and that special "it" factor. His college coach said the same thing. He works hard. He studies the game and wants to do everything it takes to win.

I'm pleased with the choice.

Comment

Moreno still has yet to show the "big Play ability"

Comment

He reminds me of a lesser Ray Rice. Good at most things, not great at anything. He's not a "game changer", he doesn't have break away speed. ( don't waste your time showing me tape of him burning WAC teams.) He's just an averacge RB. He reminds me of Knowshon, neither were worth a 1st round pick.

Comment

Since you posted it in here, isn't "non-smack" sort of redundant?

Sort of like asking in GD "Non-smack opinions on Elway?"

Comment

Working...
                              X