Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merriman's future.........

Just curious as to what others thought?

IMO, not only are his days in San Diego done, but I think he might have missed his window for that big, Dumervil-type contract. San Diego has too many other contracts to deal with next year - McNeil, Weddle, Floyd, Sproles, Cooper. I doubt we even keep all of those guys, so there is no way Merriman will get the contract he thinks he deserves. He's no longer the best outside pass rusher on this team.

I don't know he might make a good action star. He's got a good look for that kind of thing. As far as football, he'll never be the dominant force he was.

Comment

Role player at best, with an occasional flash if put in the right situation.

Comment

I too suspect his window is closing. I really think he lost his shot at the big time when he got busted for roids. I think that was the turning point for everything.

After that, people were hesitant to move in for him and bid him up. They wanted to wait and see after that... And then the injuries started coming and the swagger just wasn't there.

I wonder how he'd have done if he'd have simply stayed clean. He's probably a pretty good player without that stuff and I wonder how much it actually improved his play.

In exchange, it may have cost him his payday.

That's my take on it at least. I really think teams got scared after he got busted for the roids.

Comment

He's never recovered from Mawae's cheap shot and I don't think he ever will.

Comment

After he leaves SD, he will float to a team or two and disappear. Think he'll remember to turn off the lights?
            sigpic

Comment

I think he will play well this season, and star for another team next year. Maybe the Jets.

He is still young. He will be back near the top of the league in sacks in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                I too suspect his window is closing. I really think he lost his shot at the big time when he got busted for roids. I think that was the turning point for everything.

After that, people were hesitant to move in for him and bid him up. They wanted to wait and see after that... And then the injuries started coming and the swagger just wasn't there.

I wonder how he'd have done if he'd have simply stayed clean. He's probably a pretty good player without that stuff and I wonder how much it actually improved his play.

In exchange, it may have cost him his payday.

That's my take on it at least. I really think teams got scared after he got busted for the roids.
                totally disagree, players use roids on every team. the tide turned when the titans purposely injured him.

roids or not, not every player can come back from an injury like that. not only that but our DL isn't anywhere near as dominate as it was when he was healthy.

we had a very good run defense which opened things up for the pass rush. merriman wasn't the only guy getting a lot of sacks at that time.

i don't think it was the roids at all, otherworldly other players who have also been caught would be worthless after that.

heck, i am not even convinced he isn't on roids right now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                  totally disagree, players use roids on every team. the tide turned when the titans purposely injured him.

roids or not, not every player can come back from an injury like that. not only that but our DL isn't anywhere near as dominate as it was when he was healthy.

we had a very good run defense which opened things up for the pass rush. merriman wasn't the only guy getting a lot of sacks at that time.

i don't think it was the roids at all, otherworldly other players who have also been caught would be worthless after that.

heck, i am not even convinced he isn't on roids right now.
                  Don't get me wrong I absolutely loathe Merriman and the roids on the aspect of cheating and subsequent roid rage induced chest pounding.

I agree with Bapha that it all went wrong at the knee. My problem is that he decided to wait MONTHS before having surgery (the exact opposite of a man named Welker whom I believe is showing up in NE).

He blew a year of rehab/playing, and who knows what changed with the knee while he waited it out. He took the time he was stuck rehabbing to endorse his celebrity persona with radio shows etc. He's gone into multiple businesses, energy supplements, construction, and of course paving the way for some hollywood-like opportunities later on. The guy ain't that bright though, hasn't figured out that for the most part, all of the things I just mentioned rely in some way on his status as an elite pass rusher.

Which he is not, I hope he returns to form, but I just don't think he will.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X