Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vincent Jackson apparently not getting traded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent Jackson apparently not getting traded.

What do you Chargers fans think of this move by AJ Smith? Good or bad? I think it's kind of awesome you are sticking it to the guy for not being part of the team but then again, you're turning down any type of compensation for him when he might just be able to walk if/when a new CBA is in effect (not sure about this fact so correct me if I am wrong).

The Minnesota Vikings were willing to give up a second-round draft choice and an additional conditional pick to the Chargers, a source said. Another source said Jackson had even worked out a financial package with the Vikings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

So they rejected a 2nd and say 3rd/4th conditional pick for VJ.. How much does AJ want for VJ, he's good, but they aren't getting a Cutler type deal for him.

Comment

Jackson is at least worth a 1st IMO

Comment

As much as they are totally different types of receivers, if Marshall is only worth two second round draft choices then Vincent Jackson is worth no more. Jackson hasn't been as productive at NFL level as Marshall in terms of yards, touchdowns and receptions. But again, they are two different receivers, one is a deep threat, one is a reliable over the middle and 10-20 yard range kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
          The Minnesota Vikings were willing to give up a second-round draft choice and an additional conditional pick to the Chargers, a source said. Another source said Jackson had even worked out a financial package with the Vikings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

So they rejected a 2nd and say 3rd/4th conditional pick for VJ.. How much does AJ want for VJ, he's good, but they aren't getting a Cutler type deal for him.
          Did it say a 3rd/4th as the conditional? I don't think it did.

It was probably more like a 5th/7th.

One of two things was going to happen this year. MM and VJ would sign the tender, or sit out. They sat out. Then they made the mistake of pissing off the one guy self righteous enough to screw over the future just for revenge on a player and his agents.

Especially after the comments today. VJ is going nowhere. In fact he will be sat on this year and depending how the CBA works out he might just sit on him again the year after.

VJ and MM missed the memo that you don't play chicken with AJ Smith, because he is going to win even if it costs him his career.

I can understand not wanting to send a message to players that all you need to do to get traded is hold out, but AJ smith could have chosen VJ's landing place and sent him to stat hell for the next couple of years instead we wasted an opportunity.

I wanted to trade Shawne Merriman, MM, and VJ. Why not start retooling in the draft this coming year? We have no pass rush so it's not like we'll be going far in the playoffs.

I believe "cutting off your nose to spite your face" is the best way to sum up this whole ordeal.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
            Did it say a 3rd/4th as the conditional? I don't think it did.

It was probably more like a 5th/7th.

One of two things was going to happen this year. MM and VJ would sign the tender, or sit out. They sat out. Then they made the mistake of pissing off the one guy self righteous enough to screw over the future just for revenge on a player and his agents.

Especially after the comments today. VJ is going nowhere. In fact he will be sat on this year and depending how the CBA works out he might just sit on him again the year after.

VJ and MM missed the memo that you don't play chicken with AJ Smith, because he is going to win even if it costs him his career.

I can understand not wanting to send a message to players that all you need to do to get traded is hold out, but AJ smith could have chosen VJ's landing place and sent him to stat hell for the next couple of years instead we wasted an opportunity.

I wanted to trade Shawne Merriman, MM, and VJ. Why not start retooling in the draft this coming year? We have no pass rush so it's not like we'll be going far in the playoffs.

I believe "cutting off your nose to spite your face" is the best way to sum up this whole ordeal.
            I think it would of been a conditional 3rd/4th, but pretty much agree with all of your post..

Might as well get something now before they walk in free agency..

Comment

Originally posted by TheQBGuru View Post
              He's not worth a 1st, BMarsh has had better production and he only went for 2 2nds..

You really think someone would give a 1st for Jackson.. Maybe a 2nd, and 3rd round pick..

Comment

Originally posted by TheQBGuru View Post
                since the new team has to give him a contract, no hes not.

Comment

AJ Smith is screwing the chargers right now. They are gonna get less value if they trade him later or he leaves for nothing. This sends a bad message to free agents and players you do want to resign for the future. I dont get how this helps your franchise...

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                    I think it would of been a conditional 3rd/4th, but pretty much agree with all of your post..

Might as well get something now before they walk in free agency..
                    Billy Billiamson said that AJ would've accepted a 2nd and a 4th. So it wasn't a conditional 3rd/4th. Probably more like a conditional 6/5.

We won't know if this was a good move for a little while. It really depends what happens with the next CBA. There is at least a possibility that VJ will be a restricted free-agent again next year if he sits out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
                      AJ Smith is screwing the chargers right now. They are gonna get less value if they trade him later or he leaves for nothing. This sends a bad message to free agents and players you do want to resign for the future. I dont get how this helps your franchise...
                      On the contrary, it sends a very clear message to potential holdouts: "Don't even bother trying"

Comment

Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                        On the contrary, it sends a very clear message to potential holdouts: "Don't even bother trying"
                        yea, but that entices them to just leave completely once they get the chance

" There is at least a possibility that VJ will be a restricted free-agent again next year if he sits out."

VJ knows this, so hell report at the last second so he does not loss the year

Comment

" There is at least a possibility that VJ will be a restricted free-agent again next year if he sits out."

it doesn't work that way, he cant just report at the last second and get credit for this season.

jackson and Mcneil must be on the team and available to play for a six-game minimum to trigger an accrued season and be eligible for free agency in 2011.

which is why the chargers sent out those letters back in august and added them to the roster exempt list, forcing them to report 2 weeks sooner if they want to become an UFA next year.

basically, Jackson and MM will need to report by week 8 or they will be facing the same scenario next year.
                          sigpic

Comment

AJ rewards good players who don't do stupid crap like get DUI's before playoff games. See: Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, Quentin Jammer, etc. Very few core Chargers ever "get the chance" to test the water of free agency.

Nope. VJ isn't gonna report at all.

Comment

He went from a 3.2 million dollar contract for this season down to 600k when he refused to sign the tender the Chargers offered him. At that moment he pushed all his chips into the middle and went all-in. It was clear that he was either getting paid, or getting a vacation.

He's already given up 2.5 million dollars this season, not to mention he probably should have been offered something more on par with his market value to begin with (7 to 8 mil).

He might show up for the last 6 games of the season, but both sides continue to escalate matters so God only knows where it will end.

Jackson is already in as deep as he can possibly go though, so going the final steps wouldn't really surprise me.

Comment

Working...
                              X