Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Gregory suspended Four Games

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steve Gregory suspended Four Games

    NFL suspended Chargers SS Steve Gregory four games for violating the league's policy against Performance Enhancers.

    Positive PED tests are nothing new for the Chargers, who will be without their leading tackler until Week 9. The team's bye doesn't fall until Week 10. Rookie Darrell Stuckey and veteran Paul Oliver are candidates to take over at strong safety, but Gregory is a big loss for a defense that's exceeded expectations early in the year. He was an every-down player for a Bolts club that currently leads the NFL in total defense and ranks fourth against the pass.


    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/395042...s-player_news/
    sigpic
    Thanks Blondie for the Sig

  • #2
    well that sucks for them....

    Comment


    • #3
      The San Diego Super CHEATERS!

      Comment


      • #4
        he's brought shame upon the organization

        he was playing very well, and this explains why


        i bet derek anderson is really pissed off today, the int that helped lead to him getting benched, was by gregory
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Dude... What the Hell is going on in San Diego? They've got to be the worst team in the league for roid issues over the last couple of seasons.

          No, really, what's the problem down there?

          The NFL is going to start poking around big time down in Charger land. Watch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by *Atwater* View Post
            NFL suspended Chargers SS Steve Gregory four games for violating the league's policy against Performance Enhancers.

            Positive PED tests are nothing new for the Chargers, who will be without their leading tackler until Week 9. The team's bye doesn't fall until Week 10. Rookie Darrell Stuckey and veteran Paul Oliver are candidates to take over at strong safety, but Gregory is a big loss for a defense that's exceeded expectations early in the year. He was an every-down player for a Bolts club that currently leads the NFL in total defense and ranks fourth against the pass.

            http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/395042...s-player_news/
            I never thought I'd see the day when losing Steve Gregory for 4 games would be considered a "big loss". The guy was an afterthought this offseason and many fans thought he would get cut. I guess the PED's really did help him out.

            That said, let's have some perspective. He's still Steve Gregory, the small, slow former UDFA who won the strong safety spot by default when Ellison got busted for Vicodin and Darrell Stuckey missed 2 weeks of training camp with injuries. I'm sure that Oliver can fill in fine against the likes of Sam Bradford, Bruce Gradkowski and Vince Young. Brady may try to pick on him in week 7, but Oliver has shown glimpses of being a very solid safety.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alastor View Post
              Dude... What the Hell is going on in San Diego? They've got to be the worst team in the league for roid issues over the last couple of seasons.

              No, really, what's the problem down there?

              The NFL is going to start poking around big time down in Charger land. Watch.
              San Diego Charger steroid suspensions in the last decade:

              Shawne Merriman in 2006...
              ...
              ...
              ...
              Steve Gregory in 2010 (if it is in fact steroids).

              Worst team in the league? Hardly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                San Diego Charger steroid suspensions in the last decade:

                Shawne Merriman in 2006...
                ...
                ...
                ...
                Steve Gregory in 2010 (if it is in fact steroids).

                Worst team in the league? Hardly.
                You're sure that's the entire list of incidents?

                If that's accurate, then I'd have to say my perception is far from the mark and I was indeed mistaken. I really thought it was far more frequent than that.

                My bad.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                  You're sure that's the entire list of incidents?

                  If that's accurate, then I'd have to say my perception is far from the mark and I was indeed mistaken. I really thought it was far more frequent than that.

                  My bad.
                  Stephen Cooper got suspended for a "party drug" (I think it was ecstasy) in 2008.

                  Kevin Ellison got busted with Vicodin and was cut this past offseason.

                  Besides Merriman and Gregory, I can't think of any other steroid issues with this team. Both Cooper and Castillo got busted for steroids in college, but that was before they were members of the San Diego Chargers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                    Stephen Cooper got suspended for a "party drug" (I think it was ecstasy) in 2008.

                    Kevin Ellison got busted with Vicodin and was cut this past offseason.

                    Besides Merriman and Gregory, I can't think of any other steroid issues with this team. Both Cooper and Castillo got busted for steroids in college, but that was before they were members of the San Diego Chargers.
                    Oh, okay. I hear "substance abuse" and put it all on the same pile. In my defense, it all kind of blurs together after a while.

                    There's still a pretty high frequency of that type of thing happening in San Diego though. This despite that I happen to think very highly of Rivers and some of your other players.

                    It gives the impression that a big chunk of the team is divided into two different camps, and one side is certainly making up for the lack of issues the other side provides.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                      Oh, okay. I hear "substance abuse" and put it all on the same pile. In my defense, it all kind of blurs together after a while.

                      There's still a pretty high frequency of that type of thing happening in San Diego though. This despite that I happen to think very highly of Rivers and some of your other players.

                      It gives the impression that a big chunk of the team is divided into two different camps, and one side is certainly making up for the lack of issues the other side provides.
                      Yeah the team has a "party crew" that hits the clubs as hard as they hit the field. Cooper, Merriman, Phillips and V Jackson are members of this clique, and they are all good for about 1 off-the-field incident per year. When you read about 1 getting in trouble, there is a decent chance that the others were involved somehow. 3 of those 4 probably won't be back next year. AJ Smith is not a fan of the extra-curriculars.

                      Past members of the party crew included Antonio Cromartie and Terrance Kiel. They were jettisoned in part because of the negative headlines they generated.

                      Gregory is not a member of the party crew, and by all accounts he is a high-character guy. The suspension is surprising, and of course he released a statement denying that he knowingly juiced and saying that he was "shocked" at the positive test. But whatever. Everybody says that. As a small, slow safety, he was the perfect candidate for steroids in order to put him on equal footing with the guys he is trying to defend. Lets see how he does after the suspension.
                      Last edited by Chargerbomb; 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                        Past members of the party crew included Antonio Cromartie and Terrance Kiel. They were jettisoned in part because of the negative headlines they generated.
                        We can relate. I'm sure you're shocked.

                        Good luck with your problems. Ours turned out well. Character matters. I think you'll be better for it in the long run.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                          he's brought shame upon the organization

                          he was playing very well, and this explains why


                          i bet derek anderson is really pissed off today, the int that helped lead to him getting benched, was by gregory
                          Absolutely shame!

                          But he got caught during May and lost an appeal as of now. I don't think he is foolish enough to take it now during game. Well..I take it back..who knows...

                          I hate this kind of news...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                            I never thought I'd see the day when losing Steve Gregory for 4 games would be considered a "big loss". The guy was an afterthought this offseason and many fans thought he would get cut. I guess the PED's really did help him out.

                            That said, let's have some perspective. He's still Steve Gregory
                            That about sums it up.

                            However, cheating (that's exactly what it is) is NEVER acceptable to me. Bench him, start the rookie if he's healthy.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There is this notable one too.

                              Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                              Stephen Cooper got suspended for a "party drug" (I think it was ecstasy) in 2008.

                              Kevin Ellison got busted with Vicodin and was cut this past offseason.

                              Besides Merriman and Gregory, I can't think of any other steroid issues with this team. Both Cooper and Castillo got busted for steroids in college, but that was before they were members of the San Diego Chargers.
                              http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/...mes-by-police/
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X