Chargers Future Looks Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers Future Looks Dark

There are a lot of questions to be answered...

- AJ Smith: Will Dean Spanos (Chargers owner) fire him?
    - Norv Turner: Was this his last chance?
    - Ron Rivera: Will he leave for a head coaching job?
    - Notable Free Agents: Resign? -> Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee, Randy McMichael, Eric Weddle, Stephen Cooper, Kevin Burnett, Brandon Siler
    - Stadium Situation: Will the Chargers opt out come February 2011 and announce their move to Los Angeles?

Its not looking good folks...
    Rivers is deciding to play bad, just to see how it feels.

Those are some pretty good players you listed that may not return.

Comment

But you still have Rivers which means. You'll be dangerous no matter what.
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

8-8 last year, probably 9-7 this year.

Two yeas of mediocrity - I think Norm Turner is a major part of that.
        He has never found a team he could not reduce to ordinary.

You're doing better than Denver, but KC and Oakland are both moving up while the Chargers have stayed static and Denver went into a tail spin.
        The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway View Post
          8-8 last year, probably 9-7 this year.

Two yeas of mediocrity - I think Norm Turner is a major part of that.
          He has never found a team he could not reduce to ordinary.

You're doing better than Denver, but KC and Oakland are both moving up while the Chargers have stayed static and Denver went into a tail spin.
          I agree with you there, but last year the Chargers were 13-3, they were 8-8 the year before that one.

But ultimately you're right, the Chargers arrow is pointing down, while the Chiefs and Raiders arrows are pointing up.

Here's something interesting, Norv Turner era:

2007: 11-5 record, 2-1 in playoffs
          2008: 8-8 record, 1-1 in playoffs
          2009: 13-3 record, 0-1 in playoffs
          2010: 8-8/9-7 record, missed playoffs

Do you see the trend?

Comment

Chargers future looks dark?

No, I wouldn't say that.
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
              Chargers future looks dark?

No, I wouldn't say that.
              Why not Charlie?

I've been a fan for a long time, and to be realistic, I don't see this team winning a championship unless some changes are made.

There's nothing that gives me confidence to say... "We can do it next year", because if the same tendencies continue, such as starting the season slow, etc, we all know how that will work out.

Comment

My opinions on the subject

- AJ Smith: Will Dean Spanos (Chargers owner) fire him? I don't think so, I think if anybody is safe on the business side of the Chargers it's AJ.
                - Norv Turner: Was this his last chance? Absolutely. I've said it in another thread but I think the thing that has kept Norv's job safe was his ability to make a December rally with this team and make the playoffs. Since the Chargers missed them this year, I think that AJ uses that as reason to fire him and start over with a new coach.
                - Ron Rivera: Will he leave for a head coaching job? I think so, the way things have gone this season there could be plenty teams (like usual) looking for new head coaches. He could be a top candidate so I think he leaves.
                - Notable Free Agents: Resign? -> Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee, Randy McMichael, Eric Weddle, Stephen Cooper, Kevin Burnett, Brandon Siler Not sure about some guys, but I think VJ will be gone, I'm not sure why but I have a hunch.
                - Stadium Situation: Will the Chargers opt out come February 2011 and announce their move to Los Angeles? I think it's a huge possibility that would be good for the Chargers. I think moving to a city that wants a football team will mean no more blackouts for Charger games, because there will be a renowned interest in the team

Comment

Originally posted by powderblues View Post
                  Why not Charlie?

I've been a fan for a long time, and to be realistic, I don't see this team winning a championship unless some changes are made.

There's nothing that gives me confidence to say... "We can do it next year", because if the same tendencies continue, such as starting the season slow, etc, we all know how that will work out.
                  Why isn't the Chargers future bleak?

They have Philip Rivers, they have some targets for him, they have some defensive players, they have Antonio Gates, they have a good kicker as well. Basically, they have the pieces still to do some damage. So, they didn't make the playoffs this year? So what? That is this year that they didn't make it. Doesn't mean that things are going to get worse.

As much as you hate your GM, he still is a good GM.

It isn't like you are the Browns where the media dogs on you constantly and then dictates what your team should do like they actually care.

Comment

AJ Smith: Stays He's a good GM regardless of the last couple seasons I think as long as they're one of the top AFC West teams.

Norv Turner: Probably stays because they don't have a losing record yet.

Rivera: Probably going to HC somewhere here maybe. I don't know if he's as good a DC as people think but regardless he's a defensive minded person.

Free Agents to keep: Well i'd say they keep a majority but those players aren't unreplacable.
                    DENVER STAND UP!!!

Comment

We've had these "weapons" and "talented" roster for years, yet they always start out under .500 in the beginning of the season, and they've finally dug themselves a hole too deep to climb out of.

At the end of the day, the GM and Coach are most responsible, they haven't fixed this problem for years, so how can we expect anything different next season?

Comment

Originally posted by powderblues View Post
                        We've had these "weapons" and "talented" roster for years, yet they always start out under .500 in the beginning of the season, and they've finally dug themselves a hole too deep to climb out of.

At the end of the day, the GM and Coach are most responsible, they haven't fixed this problem for years, so how can we expect anything different next season?
                        Well, if that's the way you really feel...

Then I recommend you go and buy yourself some Stolichnaya Vodka!

Stoli solves everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                          Well, if that's the way you really feel...

Then I recommend you go and buy yourself some Stolichnaya Vodka!

Stoli solves everything!

Thanks, but the sad thing is that I don't really feel angry/sad or anything like that. I think most Charger fans would agree that we all saw this coming. We've gotten used to epic failures.

Comment

If you've got a dominant QB, anything can happen

Comment

I've never seen such a talented team acheive such mediocrity....wait...there IS the cowboys lol. No as long as you have Phillip and keep guys around him to catch balls and keep your defensive talent you will be fine. Norv is your problem BIG TIME...great coordinator but very average head coach. When you see talented teams that can't win games when they absolutely need too ( like today and playoff games of the past) especially against inferior teams...that SCREAMS of bad head coaching and his inability to keep his team motivated and prepared

Comment

Working...
                              X