Chargers Future Looks Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by powderblues View Post
    There are a lot of questions to be answered...

- AJ Smith: Will Dean Spanos (Chargers owner) fire him?
    - Norv Turner: Was this his last chance?
    - Ron Rivera: Will he leave for a head coaching job?
    - Notable Free Agents: Resign? -> Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee, Randy McMichael, Eric Weddle, Stephen Cooper, Kevin Burnett, Brandon Siler
    - Stadium Situation: Will the Chargers opt out come February 2011 and announce their move to Los Angeles?

Its not looking good folks...
    AJ- He'll probably stay unless Norv is fired.

Norv- See above.

Rivera- I think he takes a HC job, maybe to Denver.

FA's- As good as Rivers is, those are some good players that could leave. I'd say they keep Floyd, Weddle, Naanee, and Siler. I think VJ is as good as gone.

Should be an interesting offseason for the Chargers.

Comment

Why not Charlie?

I've been a fan for a long time, and to be realistic, I don't see this team winning a championship unless some changes are made.

There's nothing that gives me confidence to say... "We can do it next year", because if the same tendencies continue, such as starting the season slow, etc, we all know how that will work out.
      I asked this question last year after the Chargers got knocked out of the playoffs, can they win a Super Bowl with this team? Its definitely not lack of talent why they have been failing, so what truly is the problem? Is it Norv, AJ, do the players not care enough?

Fire the coach, fire the GM, maybe revamp the roster, I don't know what the answer is, but I think its obvious that something needs to change.

Comment

i don't agree.

maybe if the chargers lost every single one of those players you listed the future would be bleak, but that will not happen.

even then, we have rivers and a potent offense to go along with a potent defense. i think we will be okay.

Comment

I agree, the situation is not completely doomed. But I would pick the Chiefs as the favorites to win the west next year. Why?

- They're more consistent
          - Chargers will probably start out 2-3 like usual
          Rivers is deciding to play bad, just to see how it feels.

Comment

I agree with you there, but last year the Chargers were 13-3, they were 8-8 the year before that one.

But ultimately you're right, the Chargers arrow is pointing down, while the Chiefs and Raiders arrows are pointing up.

Here's something interesting, Norv Turner era:

2007: 11-5 record, 2-1 in playoffs
            2008: 8-8 record, 1-1 in playoffs
            2009: 13-3 record, 0-1 in playoffs
            2010: 8-8/9-7 record, missed playoffs

Do you see the trend?
            The funny thing about the downward trend is that Rivers has got better and better over that period.

On a side note, it's kind of nice to be able to talk about Rivers and not hate him like I used to.
            2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by BroncsSB#3 View Post
              The funny thing about the downward trend is that Rivers has got better and better over that period.

On a side note, it's kind of nice to be able to talk about Rivers and not hate him like I used to.
              That's good to know. I did notice people are starting to like Rivers more and more...

But anyways, is this the first team to have a #1 Offense and #1 Defense to not make the playoffs?
              Rivers is deciding to play bad, just to see how it feels.

Comment

Dean Spanos says Norv Turner and AJ Reed will return next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5962286
                Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII & 50 Champs

Comment

That's good to know. I did notice people are starting to like Rivers more and more...

But anyways, is this the first team to have a #1 Offense and #1 Defense to not make the playoffs?
                  To be blunt, you have to know by now that your team has case of Ortonitis right? They put up nice stats but when push comes to shove they can't get it done. Part of the problem is definitely Norv Turner. Part of the problem is what has cursed the Broncos since our Super Bowl wins: lack of toughness and leadership. The Chargers just aren't a hard-nosed, fiery team that fights for sixty minutes. Honestly they're kind of soft. Not sure what can be done about that other than revamping the coaching staff and roster. One or the other won't work. You need to infuse both with toughness and an undying will to win. Good luck with that.
                  Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety View Post
                    Dean Spanos says Norv Turner and AJ Reed will return next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5962286
                    Great news, at least we know they won't be winning anything relevant anytime soon.

Comment

Chargers have a franchise quarterback. They'll be fine. Teams go decades trying to find that guy. It has been strange seeing the insurgence of KC and Oaktown though. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in a, "I think I'm going to puke" kind of way.

Comment

Ouch. That's ALMOST as bad as having a 3 game division lead with 3 games to play and not making the playoffs.

Seriously though? Do the Chargers just like to go against trends? I don't think there's ever been a coach/gm pool like there will be at the end of this season. San Diego could get ANYBODY to come and coach that team, and they should've done it this year while they've still got the players. Also wouldn't have been a bad move while most of the rest of the league is in coach turnover too.

Comment

Injuries and absent players caught up with SD this year. Another team with a prominent QB (Colts) had the same issue. Only reason Colts are about to go to the playoffs is that the Jaguars stumbled in games they should have won (last weekend vs. Washington).
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vcooper3 View Post
                            Injuries and absent players caught up with SD this year. Another team with a prominent QB (Colts) had the same issue. Only reason Colts are about to go to the playoffs is that the Jaguars stumbled in games they should have won (last weekend vs. Washington).
                            Everybody has injuries. Injuries aren't why the Chargers failed this year. Choking against supposedly inferior teams is why the failed this year.
                            Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

- AJ Smith: Will Dean Spanos (Chargers owner) fire him? No
                              - Norv Turner: Was this his last chance? No, sad to say.
                              - Ron Rivera: Will he leave for a head coaching job? Likely
                              - Notable Free Agents: Resign? -> Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Malcom Floyd, Legedu Naanee, Randy McMichael, Eric Weddle, Stephen Cooper, Kevin Burnett, Brandon Siler. If we don't resign Weddle our defense is gonna be terrible. Good pick-up for another team though. Let Sproles, and Cooper walk though.
                              - Stadium Situation: Will the Chargers opt out come February 2011 and announce their move to Los Angeles? Yes
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                                Everybody has injuries. Injuries aren't why the Chargers failed this year. Choking against supposedly inferior teams is why the failed this year.
                                True, but the Chargers are closing in on the record for roster moves made in a season, they may already have it now. There's no one reason why this team didn't reach its potential, there's a myriad of them.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X