Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Chargers an elite defense?

Shutouts are rare in the NFL.

So when the San Diego Chargers held on late in the game for a 31-0 victory against the New York Jets, defensive co-captain Eric Weddle did not take the team’s shutout for granted. The bagel was the NFL’s first shutout this season.

"It means a lot," Weddle said. "You always strive to have that great game, where everything clicks and you play well for all four quarters. It does not come around often in the NFL -- especially in today’s NFL -- so you’ve got to be proud of it."

Rightfully, the play of Philip Rivers and San Diego’s talented offense has grabbed the headlines nationally. But quietly, the Chargers are building one of the elite defenses in the NFL.

Through Week 5, the Chargers are No. 1 in points allowed per contest (12.6), No. 2 in passing yards allowed per game (195) and No. 3 in yards allowed per contest (290).

The Chargers also are tied for fifth in the NFL with 12 sacks, and have not allowed a point in the fourth quarter in four straight games.

"It’s a good building point," Weddle said. "We’re really turning into a dominant defense, from the front all the way to the back end. We’ve just got to keep putting that pressure on us to be great week in and week out, and see how it goes."

Though the Chargers are playing well on defense, there is still room for improvement. San Diego is tied for No. 26 in the NFL in red zone defense, allowing touchdowns 70 percent of the time. And the Chargers are No. 13 in the league in third-down defense (41 percent).

"We have to make them earn it," said Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano this week, when asked what his unit needs to do to become an elite defense. "We have to make teams go earn it against our defense. We cannot sit there and give up certain plays on certain downs.

"Everybody’s going to make plays, and there’s going to be certain mistakes in the game. But our mindset on third down is we've got to make them go earn it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-elite-defense

The Film Don't Lie: Chargers

A weekly look at what the San Diego Chargers must fix.

Through five weeks, the San Diego Chargers have had one of the best defenses in the NFL. So we’re probably being a bit nitpicky in identifying a glaring weakness on that side of the ball as the team prepares to face AFC West Division rival Oakland on Sunday.

But even defensive coordinator John Pagano has been frustrated by the way his defense has played in the red zone.

Through Week 5, the Chargers are No. 1 in points allowed per contest (12.6), No. 2 in passing yards allowed per game (195) and No. 3 in overall yards allowed per game (291).

The Chargers also are tied for sixth in the NFL with 12 sacks and have not allowed a point in the fourth quarter in four straight games.

However, the Chargers are tied for 26th in the league in red zone defense, giving up a touchdown 70 percent of the time the opposition is inside the 20-yard line.

Miscommunication has been an issue, as the Chargers have blown assignments in the compact area near the goal line, allowing easy scores.

Tackling also has been a concern, particularly in goal-line situations. The Chargers have to do a better job of rallying to the ball and wrapping up.

Ultimately, San Diego has to play with more urgency and a desire to keep the opposing team from getting touchdowns.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...lie-chargers-4

Comment

An elite defense? Uh, NO! Elite is reserved for the early 2000's Ravens and Bucs. Last years Seahawks and Niners. THOSE are elite defenses.

A rapidly improving and vastly underrated defense? Absolutely. But elite? NO. BTW, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Bolts fan. But I have a great relationship with this little thing called reality.
      Jerry M. Keller Williams Southlake, Tx.

Comment

Originally posted by papagallo View Post
        An elite defense? Uh, NO! Elite is reserved for the early 2000's Ravens and Bucs. Last years Seahawks and Niners. THOSE are elite defenses.

A rapidly improving and vastly underrated defense? Absolutely. But elite? NO. BTW, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Bolts fan. But I have a great relationship with this little thing called reality.
        LOL! Fair enough, I think playing at Denver vs the broncos will be the true test.

Comment

Originally posted by papagallo View Post

as a chargers fan i am not going to say the chargers have an elite defense yet but when saying something is "elite" you compare them to current teams/players.

of course they do not have a historically elite defense.

IMO the defenses that are top 3-5 in the league at the end of the year should be considered elite. another thing to consider is the chargers ball control offense that definitely helps keep the opposing offenses scoring to a minimum.
          Last edited by baphamet; 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
            as a chargers fan i am not going to say the chargers have an elite defense yet but when saying something is "elite" you compare them to current teams/players.

IMO the defenses that are top 3-5 in the league at the end of the year should be considered elite. another thing to consider is the chargers ball control offense that definitely helps keep the opposing offenses scoring to a minimum.
            They are definitely in the top 5 of defenses so far this year. I still feel that week-in and week-out the Cards, Seahawks, Ravens and Niners have a more consistent defense. But maybe that's because I'm used to the Bolts having a crappy D. Time will tell. Much improved over prior years for sure.
            Jerry M. Keller Williams Southlake, Tx.

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post

This can play a large part of the yardage stat also. SD is ranked third for yards on defense while Denver is ranked 14th. But how drastically different our these teams defense? Well they are almost identical on yards per play on defense. Denver gives up 5.03 while SD is giving up 5.04.

I will say SD defense is playing well as so is there offense. Should be some good games this year.

Adopted Broncos:
              (2011-2013) Eric Decker
              (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
              (2019-Current) Drew Lock
              Adopted posters:
              Everyone

Comment

The Chargers are going into week 7, Whats the point of even asking this question?

There's a lot of football to be played.

Comment

QBS the chargers have faced

1. Carson Palmer
                  2. Russell Wilson
                  3. EJ Manuel
                  4.Blake Bottles
                  5. Geno Smith
                  6. David Carr

A lot of garbage QBs. One veteran who was dealing with shoulder issues, one good one in Wilson who played well despite only having the ball 17 minutes, and one rookie QB who picked at them decently. I'd like to say they are an above average Defense who will struggle to contain top QBs like the rest of the NFL would.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X