Philip Rivers continues exceptional season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Rivers continues exceptional season

SAN DIEGO -- Observed and heard in the locker room after the San Diego Chargers' 31-28 win over the Oakland Raiders

Quarterback Philip Rivers finished 22-of-34 for 313 yards and three touchdowns. Rivers was sacked just once, and posted a 123.8 passer rating. It was the fifth straight game Rivers posted at least a 120 passer rating, an NFL record. Johnny Unitas and Kurt Warner held the previous record along with Rivers at four straight games. “They are meaningful, knowing that you were tied with Unitas and Warner until today,” Rivers said. “What it says is, we’ve had a great five-game stretch. I think it doesn’t say any more than that. But I think it speaks to the guys catching the football, the guys protecting and the whole group.

“If a quarterback has a passer rating that high, then everybody’s doing something really well.”
    Rookie running back Branden Oliver finished with 101 yards on 26 carries, topping 100 yards rushing for a second straight week. One of the Oakland defenders Oliver ran into was former college teammate Khalil Mack, who finished with two tackles.

Oliver, 23, also butted heads with 38-year-old safety Charles Woodson. Oliver had an interesting conversation with the future Hall of Famer. Oliver indicated it was a little surreal playing against someone whom he watched growing up.

“I never thought I’d play against him -- ever,” Oliver said. “There was one play where he tackled me. I think it was like the first play he tackled me. He was like, ‘Man, you going to let me up?’ I think I was on top of him. And I was like, ‘Man, you know you old enough to be my daddy.’

“So I started laughing. But I’ve been watching him since I was a little kid. He’s an all-purpose guy from Michigan.”

The Chargers suffered a couple more injuries, with cornerback Brandon Flowers (groin) and receiver Eddie Royal (ribs) not finishing the game. Chargers head coach Mike McCoy did not provide an update on those injuries. But if Flowers has to miss significant time, rookie cornerback Chris Davis could have to play a larger role on defense and special teams

When interviewed, Rivers was obviously very happy about his exceptional season so far

Rivers
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ptional-season
Working...
X