X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Al, thank you for all you've done for the game of football
    sigpic

Comment

• Probably the most emotional win we ever had, and that's saying a lot with our history. If there was ever a Just Win Baby game, this was it.

Comment

• First time I was happy to see the Raiders win a game.
        sigpic
        - ★ -
        2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

• I wonder if Al left any money for Shanny in his will.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
            I wonder if Al left any money for Shanny in his will.
            Really? Now?
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Won't say I'm happy for your win cause I was definitely rooting against the Raiders today as always but good for Raider Nation and I hope it helps. Sorry but thats the best I can do.
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Wow Bob Costas just did a great little 2-3 minute reflection on Al Davis at half time on Sunday Night Football. Very nicely done
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                  Wow Bob Costas just did a great little 2-3 minute reflection on Al Davis at half time on Sunday Night Football. Very nicely done
                  It was the best tribute. It showed the full sides of Davis. It didn't hate or love, it told the truth. Perfect IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                    It was the best tribute. It showed the full sides of Davis. It didn't hate or love, it told the truth. Perfect IMO.
                    Anyone got a Youtube link?

Comment

• Let it be known that Sunday was the 1st and last day I would ever pull for the Raiders! Al did a ton for the NFL to be what it is today and I felt it only right for the Raiders to win one for him. But let it be known that starting 10/10/11, I am back to the Raider hate. Al would have wanted it that way! RIP Al and thanks again for the great rivalry you were so instrumental in creating
                      #swapping

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                        Anyone got a Youtube link?
                        Can't find a video but here's the transcript.

Over the last 24 hours, even those too young to recall the enormous accomplishments and aura of Al Davis’s Raiders of an earlier era have been made aware of Davis’s unique place in the game’s history: coach, GM, commissioner, owner, perpetual litigant and general pain in the assets to the league he constantly challenged and frequently sued — sometimes with good reason, sometimes out of a reflexive combativeness that seemed to know no bounds.

Al Davis was many things — not all of them admirable. That’s why he was so fascinating, and until recent years, so formidable. For a generation, his Raiders weren’t just committed to excellence, they consistently achieved it and in distinctive fashion as Davis created a sanctuary for misfits and miscreants and let them flourish in an us-versus-the-world atmosphere tinged with cloak-and-dagger paranoia. That approach created the Raider mystique, and then in later years, undermined it.

Al Davis was born in Massachusetts, grew up in Brooklyn, graduated from Syracuse yet somehow spoke with a vaguely southern drawl, part of what you might call an unusual personal style. He was a progressive, who broke ground with the hiring of Hispanic and African-American coaches, and a high-ranking female executive. But he was also petty, allowing personal vendettas to undercut, and then drive away significant figures like Marcus Allen and Mike Shanahan, while his once great franchise slipped into disarray.

He was compassionate and generous, and sought no public recognition for his many acts of kindness. If he liked you, he was also great company, but if you got on his bad side, for whatever reason, watch out.

He was simultaneously a visionary who influenced the game on and off the field, and a throwback, who hung on much too long, perhaps because as he himself acknowledged, he had no real life outside of his family and football.

Don Shula once said of his old adversary, “when you call Al Davis devious, he considers it a compliment.” For his part, Davis, who probably revered Machiavelli as much as Madden, often said he’d rather be feared than respected or loved. A true appreciation doesn’t ignore that fact, it recognizes it along with all the contradictions and complexities.

For better and for worse and everything in between, Al Davis was an American original. He deserves to be long remembered, not because he was a model, but because he mattered.

He was a rebel, a renegade, a Raider…and we will not see his like again.

Comment

• Thank you, DevilSpawn.

That's a very authentic commentary.

Comment

• May GOD bless your soul Mr. Davis.

Aloha `Oe
                            HE>i

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                              Really? Now?
                              I don't think that was a disrespectful statement... As I seriously wondered the same thing considering Al told Mike that if he went back to the Broncos that as long as he lived Mike wouldn't see a dime from him

It strikes me as something Al might have done really, and that is the furthest thing from disrespect on my part. May he rest in peace Mr Davis!
                              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• Woody Paige's Al Davis story

sigpic
                                DROY

Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #98

Comment

Working...
                                X