• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam_Z
    Banned User
    • Dec 2004

Netane Muti

What does everyone think of Netane Muti as a football player.

Let’s just assume for a moment that the guy is healthy and has no injury history. Where do you think he is the best fit?

I know he’s a guard and that is the most likely suited position for him but sometimes while watching his film, he seems to do things that would draw yellow flags in the NFL. I love his tough competitive motor though, the guy reminds me Ndamukong Suh playing offense.

The video below is from his high school playing days where even then he was a mauler and even though I think he has limited athleticism when playing LT, he could be a guard on a Will Hernandez like level.

Kid could probably even be suited for the NT on defense as well.

Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-03-2020, 09:06 PM.
  • johnlimburg
    Ring of Famer
    • Sep 2009

He is a guard online, no chance you play him in space on the edge in the NFL and expect to have any sort of success. Muti is probably a high 3rd round pick above Cushenberry if healthy, and I think if he enters camp ready, he competes with Cushenberry for a starting spot. Obviously they play different positions, but with Glasgow being able to play center or guard, whoever looks better between Cush and Muti, they play, and Glasgow plays the other spot. Who knows, maybe Glasgow is the center regardless and Cush and Muti just compete for the guard spot. I like the upside of a healthy Muti more than Cush, but I love the reliability of Cush to be a solid starter from day 1. Both tremendous picks.

Comment

• listopencil
      Revenant
      • Aug 2003

I think Cushenberry is the starting Center and Muti is a depth Guard who might end up being active on game days.
      Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• johnlimburg
        Ring of Famer
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
        I think Cushenberry is the starting Center and Muti is a depth Guard who might end up being active on game days.
        That is my guess as well, and the more likely situation. However a healthy Muti could throw that plan out of whack.

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          That is my guess as well, and the more likely situation. However a healthy Muti could throw that plan out of whack.
          Could a healthy Muti play nose or defensive tackle?

I know he’s not a defender and if healthy, perhaps to valuable on offense but with his nasty aggression and mauling attitude, could he fit there if needed?

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

Netane Muti is a pancake machine. The medical/training/strength&conditioning staffs need to do everything in their collective power to get him 100% healthy and on the field. He's had some serious injuries, so it might take some time.

When he's ready, he may very well be in the top five with G as his best spot. If that happens, Munchak will probably need to shuffle.

As far as his play is concerned, if he doesn't commit a personal foul between the snap and the whistle, he can rag doll defenders to his heart's content.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• mozzerpete
              All-Pro
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
              Could a healthy Muti play nose or defensive tackle?

I know he’s not a defender and if healthy, perhaps to valuable on offense but with his nasty aggression and mauling attitude, could he fit there if needed?
              Great question!
              Muti has the strength and plays with enough power to be used along the DL, in a pinch.

Where's the beef?

Muti 315 / Purcell 328 / Casey 305

Agim 305 / Harris 290 / Covington 310

Walker 280 / Jones 281

Comment

• listopencil
                Revenant
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                Out of what I consider to be the starting 5 (Bolles/Risner/Crushenberry/Glasgow/James) only Glasgow has legitimate versatility (as far as I know), and it's C/G. So we need a Swing Tackle but don't necessarily need a back up C/G because Muti could come in at G and Glasgow could move over to Center if Crushenberry goes down. That's what I mean by 'might end up being active on game days.' If he's healthy then that might be the best plan. Should be an interesting camp battle and he could always hang around on the active roster but not the game day roster if the staff thinks he has a chance to win the spot this season. If not, they can stash him on IR.

Comment

• the0rangecrush
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2009

To quote Ramon Foster

"Munch will develop the hell out of this kid!"

Perfect late round flyer kind of pick. Hard to say where he gets taken if fully healthy. He didn't have that developmental time to grow. Based on his limited tape he could have been a late 2nd/early 3rd round guy. Now, if without injury he could have developed a little more, he had potential to be the top OG/iOL taken, but who knows if he can reach that point.
                  What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                  I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• the0rangecrush
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2009

Here is some pertinent info for Muti

"Per source, Fresno St iOL Netane Muti was medically cleared during the NFL’s formal recheck process today that was recorded, sent to teams.

I’m told the doctor didn’t find any issues with Muti’s old Achilles/Lisfranc injuries and indicated reinjury risk to be very low."
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• listopencil
                      Revenant
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                      Here is some pertinent info for Muti

"Per source, Fresno St iOL Netane Muti was medically cleared during the NFL’s formal recheck process today that was recorded, sent to teams.

I’m told the doctor didn’t find any issues with Muti’s old Achilles/Lisfranc injuries and indicated reinjury risk to be very low."
                      Good news. We could end up with a very strong interior O-Line with some depth, I just wonder if they keep Glasgow around after 2021 if it happens.

Comment

• underrated29
                        Why did the fans get Dumb
                        • Feb 2006

Muti is going to get a redshirt year this year. Watch and see
                        So far:
                        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• samparnell
                          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                          Out of what I consider to be the starting 5 (Bolles/Risner/Crushenberry/Glasgow/James) only Glasgow has legitimate versatility (as far as I know), and it's C/G. So we need a Swing Tackle but don't necessarily need a back up C/G because Muti could come in at G and Glasgow could move over to Center if Crushenberry goes down. That's what I mean by 'might end up being active on game days.' If he's healthy then that might be the best plan. Should be an interesting camp battle and he could always hang around on the active roster but not the game day roster if the staff thinks he has a chance to win the spot this season. If not, they can stash him on IR.
                          Dalton Risner played four full seasons on K-State's O-Line. He made 13 starts at C in his first year and 12 starts in each of the next three years at RT, being named first team All-Conference each year and second team All-American his last year. In Dalton's rookie season, Hall of Famer Mike Munchak taught him to play LG, a position he had played for twelve years and at which he went to the Pro Bowl nine times. If Ja'Wuan James couldn't play, putting Risner at RT is probably something that has already occurred to Munchak. They probably didn't try it last year because Dalton was learning LG, doing a good job there, and the interior depth was almost as questionable as the T depth was.

If Netane Muti is healthy along with what we assume will be the five (i.e., Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasgow, James), there isn't much doubt in my mind that he will be number six. O-Line coaches' rule of thumb is start the best five shuffled to their best spots. Muti played LG at Fresno State and Munchak is just the guy to help him become an NFL G. If James can't go and the choices are Dalton, Eli and Jake, I'm goin' "Route 66 Risner". If Muti is healthy and active on game day it would make that shuffle a viable option. It wouldn't surprise me if Dalton has already taken some practice reps at RT.

It's been recently reported that Muti was cleared by doctors at the Combine in which he had limited participation (44 bench reps), and was scheduled to participate in Fresno State's pro day, but IDK if that happened as it was to be 17 March. If we have football this year, it will be very interesting to see how Muti does. Even with his injury history, some scouts had given him a third round grade. If he makes Denver's roster and eventually gets on the field, that will be a steal in the sixth round.
                          Last edited by samparnell; 05-04-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Banner29
                            Practice Squad
                            • Feb 2020

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Dalton Risner played four full seasons on K-State's O-Line. He made 13 starts at C in his first year and 12 starts in each of the next three years at RT, being named first team All-Conference each year and second team All-American his last year. In Dalton's rookie season, Hall of Famer Mike Munchak taught him to play LG, a position he had played for twelve years and at which he went to the Pro Bowl nine times. If Ja'Wuan James couldn't play, putting Risner at RT is probably something that has already occurred to Munchak. They probably didn't try it last year because Dalton was learning LG, doing a good job there, and the interior depth was almost as questionable as the T depth was.

If Netane Muti is healthy along with what we assume will be the five (i.e., Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasgow, James), there isn't much doubt in my mind that he will be number six. O-Line coaches' rule of thumb is start the best five shuffled to their best spots. Muti played LG at Fresno State and Munchak is just the guy to help him become an NFL G. If James can't go and the choices are Dalton, Eli and Jake, I'm goin' "Route 66 Risner". If Muti is healthy and active on game day it would make that shuffle a viable option. It wouldn't surprise me if Dalton has already taken some practice reps at RT.

It's been recently reported that Muti was cleared by doctors at the Combine in which he had limited participation (44 bench reps), and was scheduled to participate in Fresno State's pro day, but IDK if that happened as it was to be 17 March. If we have football this year, it will be very interesting to see how Muti does. Even with his injury history, some scouts had given him a third round grade. If he makes Denver's roster and eventually gets on the field, that will be a steal in the sixth round.

Interesting. If Muti can prove healthy I have little doubt he would cause issues in who to play and where. And having a O line coach of a Munchaks caliber makes me confident Risner would be able to make a smooth transition

Comment

• samparnell
                              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Banner29 View Post
                              Interesting. If Muti can prove healthy I have little doubt he would cause issues in who to play and where. And having a O line coach of a Munchaks caliber makes me confident Risner would be able to make a smooth transition
                              If James can play, he's the RT. If he can't, I'm sure Munchak will get the best five on the field at their best spots.
                              Last edited by samparnell; 05-04-2020, 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X