• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bronx_2003
    Banned User
    • Oct 2003

How I think OT should be

I think the NFL has got this wrong, it is better then it used to be but games like KC - NE where Mahomes didn't touch the ball in OT is just not right. I am a believer in stopping the team on D but in todays NFL where offenses take charge and you get 2 offenses who put up a lot of points - like KC and NE - it was always going to come down to who got the ball first, neither were going to be stopped IMO.

First of all I would just play a ten minute quarter. In soccer's ET or NBA's OT they just play the quarter out, I don't understand why the NFL has to complicate things. Just let a natural 10 minute quarter play out.

If it is still tied...... and no-one wants to see a tie then let the kickers decide the game. That means no extra miles in the legs of players and no potential injuries, kickers are important members of the team and it would bring excitement.

I would let each kicker have 3 kicks from the 50.... 1 each side and center of the hash mark....... the most successful kicks win and if it is tied then it goes to a 1 kick each sudden death. I think this would be exciting to watch as well.
  • #87Birdman
    The MOD Who Laughs
    • Apr 2011

You still are going to run into the issue of who gets the ball first is going to be at qb advantage because in 10 minutes the team that started with the ball will most likely end with the ball.

You only to the KC Patriots game but another game that same weekend the team that got the ball first didn't win. While the NFL OT people have issues with it is still more equal than college that everyone wants to adopt also.

The new AAF might be heading in the right direction though. 1st and goal at the 10 no fg and touchdowns require going for 2. This way the only option is shooting a touchdown and the second team going can't just settle for a fg. Maybe if tied after the first go round back then up and make it first and goal from the 15 and so forth.

OT will probably always have issues. And every way is going to result in people complaining. The way the nfl has it right now still results in a pretty evenly matched outcome of I remember.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Comment

• bronx_2003
      Banned User
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
      You still are going to run into the issue of who gets the ball first is going to be at qb advantage because in 10 minutes the team that started with the ball will most likely end with the ball.

You only to the KC Patriots game but another game that same weekend the team that got the ball first didn't win. While the NFL OT people have issues with it is still more equal than college that everyone wants to adopt also.

The new AAF might be heading in the right direction though. 1st and goal at the 10 no fg and touchdowns require going for 2. This way the only option is shooting a touchdown and the second team going can't just settle for a fg. Maybe if tied after the first go round back then up and make it first and goal from the 15 and so forth.

OT will probably always have issues. And every way is going to result in people complaining. The way the nfl has it right now still results in a pretty evenly matched outcome of I remember.
      I don't think 'fair' can ever be used until both teams have the opportunity to possess the ball, and I'll go back to my original point that I don't understand why they don't just play the 10 minute quarter out like they do in any other sport.

In the NBA if it goes to OT and a team starts hot and hits a couple of 3's they don't call the match off and declare them the winner. Just play the extra quarter out and see who wins.

Comment

• Spice 1
        Football Immortal
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        I think the NFL has got this wrong, it is better then it used to be but games like KC - NE where Mahomes didn't touch the ball in OT is just not right. I am a believer in stopping the team on D but in todays NFL where offenses take charge and you get 2 offenses who put up a lot of points - like KC and NE - it was always going to come down to who got the ball first, neither were going to be stopped IMO.

First of all I would just play a ten minute quarter. In soccer's ET or NBA's OT they just play the quarter out, I don't understand why the NFL has to complicate things. Just let a natural 10 minute quarter play out.

If it is still tied...... and no-one wants to see a tie then let the kickers decide the game. That means no extra miles in the legs of players and no potential injuries, kickers are important members of the team and it would bring excitement.

I would let each kicker have 3 kicks from the 50.... 1 each side and center of the hash mark....... the most successful kicks win and if it is tied then it goes to a 1 kick each sudden death. I think this would be exciting to watch as well.
        My problem with the kicker thing, is it's not really in the essence of football. It puts emphasis on a very small fraction of the team. To me, that would be like in NASCAR, if they had a drifting competition to decide the last lap of a race. To each their own though, you know. Like Birdman said, I don't know if they'll ever come up with something that makes everyone happy.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
          Super Moderator
          • Dec 2008

I don't think 'fair' can ever be used until both teams have the opportunity to possess the ball, and I'll go back to my original point that I don't understand why they don't just play the 10 minute quarter out like they do in any other sport.

In the NBA if it goes to OT and a team starts hot and hits a couple of 3's they don't call the match off and declare them the winner. Just play the extra quarter out and see who wins.
          Hockey plays sudden death OT, and OT during the Stanley Cup playoffs is just about as exciting a sports product as you can have.

As for football, I'm old school, I believe a team is made up of offense, defense and special teams, if your defense can't stop the other offense from scoring a TD, why should you not lose? All you needed to do was get them off the field, and get possession and then if you score you win.

Realistically, if the Chefs got the ball first and scored a TD, would so many people be upset that the Patriots never got a possession? When a team has the opposition in 3rd and 10 or more on three separate occasions and allows the team to convert on all three occasions, I have a hard time feeling bad that they didn't get the ball.

Comment

• bronx_2003
            Banned User
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            My problem with the kicker thing, is it's not really in the essence of football. It puts emphasis on a very small fraction of the team. To me, that would be like in NASCAR, if they had a drifting competition to decide the last lap of a race. To each their own though, you know. Like Birdman said, I don't know if they'll ever come up with something that makes everyone happy.
            I don't see how its any different then a kicker winning numerous games every season with game ending FG's........ Greg the leg kicked the Rams into OT and then into the SB with 2 long kicks. They are important players in any team and make a big difference every season.

Comment

• bronx_2003
              Banned User
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Hockey plays sudden death OT, and OT during the Stanley Cup playoffs is just about as exciting a sports product as you can have.

As for football, I'm old school, I believe a team is made up of offense, defense and special teams, if your defense can't stop the other offense from scoring a TD, why should you not lose? All you needed to do was get them off the field, and get possession and then if you score you win.

Realistically, if the Chefs got the ball first and scored a TD, would so many people be upset that the Patriots never got a possession? When a team has the opposition in 3rd and 10 or more on three separate occasions and allows the team to convert on all three occasions, I have a hard time feeling bad that they didn't get the ball.
              I used to think like that and still do to some degree but todays NFL is very offensive focused and tends to help QB's and offensives rather then a D...... so when a team wins the coin toss and gets the ball they get a big advantage IMO. Watching that game I, and I imagine most people, knew whoever won the toss won the game.

I'm all for fairness, and in that spirit surely both teams need the opportunity to possess the ball.

Comment

• Saddletramp
                Captain
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                THAT! ^^^^^^^
                The point of having a defense is to STOP the opposing teams offense. If a team makes it to the final game of the playoffs then their defense should be good enough to stop the opposing teams offense. Period. If they cannot, like Butler said, they do not deserve to win.
                [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Saddletramp
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                  While it may not be the essence of the game it is an intricate part of the game. And I'd bet a good amount of money that if the Broncos had won a playoff game to go to the Superbowl, by a field goal or by our offense not letting any opposing team have the ball in it, this thread and discussion would never of happened.
                  Last edited by Saddletramp; 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM.
                  [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                  Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• BroncosFanInPA
                    Football Immortal
                    • Oct 2003

Overtime is just fine the way it is & i agree with others that if the defense can't hold them out of the endzone then that is game.

They already changed it once from only needing a FG to win & i think that was the right decision at the time, because it was too much of an advantage for who won the coin toss but now the odds are evened out better.

It doesn't need to be like college because that is too much of a gimmick & also too many changes can have a negative impact on the sport...it's one of the reasons NASCAR has fallen off so much over recent years is because they keep changing things & fans can't keep up
                    sigpic

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                      Super Moderator
                      • Dec 2008

I used to think like that and still do to some degree but todays NFL is very offensive focused and tends to help QB's and offensives rather then a D...... so when a team wins the coin toss and gets the ball they get a big advantage IMO. Watching that game I, and I imagine most people, knew whoever won the toss won the game.

I'm all for fairness, and in that spirit surely both teams need the opportunity to possess the ball.
                      Both games went to overtime that day, in the first game the Saints got the ball first and they didn't win. The Rams defense made a stop and got a turnover and won the game.

Comment

• broncolee
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jan 2007

There’s nothing wrong with overtime.

There was nothing wrong with overtime before.

Play defense.

Don’t let the game go to overtime in the first place.

That being said, I’m not so attached to the current format that I would be upset if it were changed.

My suggestion would be to add a “fifth” quarter and just continue the game as you would from the 1st quarter to the 2nd or the 3rd to 4th. The only thing I would do differently is reset the timeouts to 3 apiece.
                        Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Spice 1
                          Football Immortal
                          • Sep 2004

I don't see how its any different then a kicker winning numerous games every season with game ending FG's........ Greg the leg kicked the Rams into OT and then into the SB with 2 long kicks. They are important players in any team and make a big difference every season.
                          I don't have a problem with regulation kicks, because they're part of a collective team effort. That's why I'm more in favor of something along the lines of what the AAF is doing for overtime.

Comment

• #87Birdman
                            The MOD Who Laughs
                            • Apr 2011

Okay we will use your 10 minute example. Team 1 drivers down the field scores taking 4 minutes. Second team goes down scores taking 4 minutes. Team 1 gets the ball uses the last 2 minutes to kick the game winning fg. Guess what keeper still complain it isn't fair cause team 2 only touched it once.

NBA is different. They have a thing called a shot clock that forces tanks to have multiple possessions. If a team comes out hot hitting 3s and the other team comes out cold I will bet that the team hitting threes will start to milk that shot clock for all it is worth.

Every sport plays overtime to what gives them the best shot to win.

Adopted Broncos:
                            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                            Adopted posters:
                            Everyone

Comment

• bronx_2003
                              Banned User
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                              Okay we will use your 10 minute example. Team 1 drivers down the field scores taking 4 minutes. Second team goes down scores taking 4 minutes. Team 1 gets the ball uses the last 2 minutes to kick the game winning fg. Guess what keeper still complain it isn't fair cause team 2 only touched it once.

NBA is different. They have a thing called a shot clock that forces tanks to have multiple possessions. If a team comes out hot hitting 3s and the other team comes out cold I will bet that the team hitting threes will start to milk that shot clock for all it is worth.

Every sport plays overtime to what gives them the best shot to win.
                              In regulation when we get a high scoring game its often the team possessing the ball last that wins, especially if they have a quality QB. Thats just how it is.

I just don't understand why the NFL don't just keep it as simple as possible and play out 1 extra quarter of ten minutes. Then it actually resembles the game as closely as possible.

In Soccer we just play an extra 30 minute period to determine the winner.... then penalties if needed. The NFL OT should be the same as the game

Comment

Working...
                              X