Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cleveland Browns coach in '08?

I was listening to the 'Huddle' on ESPN radio, and a caller asked a good question.
    "Who will be the coach for the Browns in '08?" I found that pretty interesting, but even more interesting was that Clayton said he wouldn't be surprised to see a change later THIS season.... and mentioned Marty Schottenheimer as a very likely candidate for that job. What do you guys think?

Another scenario would be to promote the defensive coordinator in house, and maybe Bill Cowher next year.

marty?

oh god more stupidity from front offices. howcome this happens so much in the nfl? gms make a move that really, doesn't help at all, and is expected to do so much. why?!

it's not the coach, it's the team. as if marty's going to do anything with a bad team when he couldn't with a good team. who the hell thinks this is a good idea? you routinely see this with average quarterbacks expected to fix crappy teams, and seemingly everyone on earth knows it won't work, except the gm obviously. but coaches?

oh man, i swear some gms just make moves, that don't do a tenth of anything positive for the team, jsut ot look like they're doing something.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

I'm hoping it's The Chin...

I just don't want Cowher around when the Chargers fire their HC in the middle of February again.

Romeo Crennel will be the Browns coach in 2008.

If he is fired (and I don't think he will be) it should be Schottenheimer that replaces him.

No ifs, ands, ors or buts about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
    marty?

oh god more stupidity from front offices. howcome this happens so much in the nfl? gms make a move that really, doesn't help at all, and is expected to do so much. why?!

it's not the coach, it's the team. as if marty's going to do anything with a bad team when he couldn't with a good team. who the hell thinks this is a good idea? you routinely see this with average quarterbacks expected to fix crappy teams, and seemingly everyone on earth knows it won't work, except the gm obviously. but coaches?

oh man, i swear some gms just make moves, that don't do a tenth of anything positive for the team, jsut ot look like they're doing something.
    actually, i disagree. . . while marty obviously can't win in the playoffs, he has a proven history of making his teams competitive-- which is something the browns are desperate for! who cares if he can't win in the playoffs? the browns haven't even been close to getting there in quite some time now, and i bet he could improve on that. . .

he's a very good teacher of fundamentals, and generally runs pretty disciplined teams. . . i myself don't care for his often ultra-conservative approach, but that franchise really needs some identity and direction, and he can provide those things. . .

when they first hired them, i thought savage and crennel would be able to turn things around for cleveland, but they sure haven't made much progress. . . yes, they've slowly collected some talent, but the results on the field haven't been there. . . if they don't show at least some signs of improvement this year, i woulnd't blame the FO a bit for firing both of them and going after a strong, proven coach like marty or cowher, someone who can at least provide some direction and make that team competitive. . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

marty will be the HC of the browns or chiefs in 08, bank on it

marty?

You couldn't be Further from reality on this.

The Browns stunk when Schottenheimer took over as HC, and he took them to 2 consesecutive AFC Championship games (in THREE years of coaching). What have the Browns done since Marty has left? They have gone .500 (8 wins in a season) 3 times in the 15 years since he's been gone, and one of those was the following year Marty left. The THREE years Marty was the HC in Cleveland, all had double digit wins.

When Marty Schottenheimer went to the Chiefs, they hadn't been to the playoffs but ONE time since 1970. Marty not only took them too the AFC Championship game his 3rd season, but then led them into the playoffs 7 of the ten years he was there.. being the MOST playoffs of any team during the 90's in the NFL.

Marty went to Washington for one season.. had a bad team, and started the season 0-5.. yet STILL was able to coach them to a finish of 8-8.... only to be replaced by Spurrier.

When Marty Schottenheimer went to the Chargers, the previous 5 seasons the Chargers had a record of 23-57. The five years Marty was there, he took them to a record of 47-33.. and back to the playoffs for the first time since 1994.

So Marty Schottenheimer EXCELLS at taking bad teams and building them up, and taking them to the playoffs... unline what you just suggested.

@Ravage!!! and @dogfish,

Great Posts! It's popular to lay blame on Marty for a team's shortcommings, but the truth is, he's made the teams he's coached much better than they were before him. And playoff losses are team losses; even with SD, Marty probably made 1 bad call, but he kept them not just step for step with the Pats, but ahead most of the game. Nothing he could do if New England outplayed his players at the end of the game.

On Crennel being fired .... I think if the Browns keep losing, and then if Crennel is stuborn about replacing Frye with Brady, he will be fired. Brady in limited action shows he's got the potential to be much better than Frye or Anderson.

The Browns offense has been looking pretty okay these last 2 preseason games. They're getting a good mix of run and pass, and their qb carousel isn't looking bad at all. Ultra conservative play calling, though, specially when you consider it's only the preseason.

WINS: @Buffalo, Oakland, Jacksonville, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, @Detroit, Tennessee, @Chicago, @Oakland, Kansas City, @Houston, Minnesota

LOSSES: @Indianapolis, @Kansas City, @San Diego

2007-08 Forecast: 13-3

you people act like i said marty was a goon with a shoe sized iq. i just said i doubt he'll do much with a bad team. i should've specified, a team like this cleveland team. alot of the teams he's taken over were in the midst of making the right roster moves. this cleveland team, doesn't look like they are.

and i base this on the fact that i think crennel is a great coach. and this team continues to struggle. marty wouldn't do anything, the gm would have to give him the proper tools first. team slike kc and sd were teams who had the proper puzzle pieces and he did a fine job of putting them together. but the browns don't strike me as a team that has a real coaching problem. but what i meant was some GMs are content to draft and sign FAs like fools and then just boot the coach when the inevitable happens.

marty strikes me as the coach who is really good at being good, but bad at being great. like he just doesn't know how to make it over the hump, where some coaches won't accumulate the win percentage he has, but will produce a championship team a couple times.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

you people act like i said marty was a goon with a shoe sized iq. i just said i doubt he'll do much with a bad team. i should've specified, a team like this cleveland team. alot of the teams he's taken over were in the midst of making the right roster moves. this cleveland team, doesn't look like they are.

and i base this on the fact that i think crennel is a great coach. and this team continues to struggle. marty wouldn't do anything, the gm would have to give him the proper tools first. team slike kc and sd were teams who had the proper puzzle pieces and he did a fine job of putting them together. but the browns don't strike me as a team that has a real coaching problem. but what i meant was some GMs are content to draft and sign FAs like fools and then just boot the coach when the inevitable happens.

marty strikes me as the coach who is really good at being good, but bad at being great. like he just doesn't know how to make it over the hump, where some coaches won't accumulate the win percentage he has, but will produce a championship team a couple times.
    and again, Ninja.. I pointed out how the teams that he took over accomplished NOTHING for years and year and YEARS before HE got there. Its not a coincidence that he takes over LOSING teams,and builds and makes them winners. I'm sorry, but you are wrong on this point. He's done EXACTLY what you say he hasn't and can't, and that is he has taken very BAD teams and turned them into winners. He's a great coach.

But I thought it was interesting that fans are already asking who will replace the coach.... AND.... I thought it very interesting that John Clayton was speculating that a replacement would happen before the seasons end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    replacement would happen before the seasons end.
    He can speculate all he wants. He's a Steeler fan.

Crennel will not be replaced (if he is) before the end of the season. It will wait till after the season. There is no point in changing coaches midseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    and again, Ninja.. I pointed out how the teams that he took over accomplished NOTHING for years and year and YEARS before HE got there. Its not a coincidence that he takes over LOSING teams,and builds and makes them winners. I'm sorry, but you are wrong on this point. He's done EXACTLY what you say he hasn't and can't, and that is he has taken very BAD teams and turned them into winners. He's a great coach.
    i don't just blindly attribute every single shred of success to him. those teams were teams like the saints-bad record after bad record, but you could feel the team changing with what the gm had done, and it was bound to change overnight. and it usually does with a coaching change, like when the saints picked up whatshisnuts, you know, frankie munez. the name escapes me lol. i just don't think the browns are that team right now. i think he'd do what he's done before but i don't think there's enough in place to get the job done like he's done before. i think crenell has the higher upside, and they should wait and see if he does first.

art shell will coach the browns

i don't just blindly attribute every single shred of success to him. those teams were teams like the saints-bad record after bad record, but you could feel the team changing with what the gm had done, and it was bound to change overnight. and it usually does with a coaching change, like when the saints picked up whatshisnuts, you know, frankie munez. the name escapes me lol. i just don't think the browns are that team right now. i think he'd do what he's done before but i don't think there's enough in place to get the job done like he's done before. i think crenell has the higher upside, and they should wait and see if he does first.
    Then I guess we'll just have to agree that you are wrong on this one , because the Browns in the 80's, the Chiefs of the 90's, and the Chargers of the 2000s did NOT have some kind of "feel" they were getting better BEFORE Marty showed up.. thus WHY he was hired to begin with. The Chiefs hired him because of his HUGE success of turning around a terrible Browns team. The Chargers hired him because of the way he turned around a terrible Browns, terrible Chiefs, and a bad Washington team. Marty is KNOWN for coaching HORRIBLE teams, and making them playoff contenders. No one has a 'feel' for turning around when they have 23 wins over the previous 5 years. That doesn't exactly show an 'uprise' in their abilities. Think what you want. Crennel can't carry Marty's jock strap when it comes to coaching.