Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Open Letter to Broncos Web Staff - Customers are Leaving - Corrective Action Required

Broncos' Web Staff:

I know you have a lot of things to deal with, but you dropped the ball on these forum changes and people's patience is running out.

It appears that somewhere along the way, the administrators of this site forgot that we are your customers and that while it may be a 'privilege' for us to post here, we are also the very people that provide the revenue for the team to have websites like this. In fact, it is a ‘privilege’, not a right, for you to have us as ‘customers.’

The problems on this board are the equivalent of Amazon or LL Bean shipping the wrong items to one of their customers. In other words, it is a way to lose customers.

I just read a thread about a long time, highly respected poster, who decided a week or so ago to leave the message boards, and it appears that the difficulty reading the message board with this ridiculous color scheme was a major factor. It is very possible that some of the other changes, and the presentation of those changes as “this is what it is and you will get used to it” might have contributed, but that is hard to say.

There are a couple very direct things I have to get off my chest, because as a 20+ year Broncos fan AND customer, who has great admiration for the organization, I feel an obligation to state these facts.

You have lost sight of the fact that the forum members ARE your customers. This year I will spend $350 for NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan (HD games), which is direct money paid to the NFL, some of which will go to the Broncos. This is on top of the fact that CBS, ESPN, NBC and Fox pay big money to the NFL to have the right to carry the games so fans like me will watch the games and their commercials. However, what I spend is peanuts compared to some of your customers on this forum that have season tickets or even club level season tickets.

On top of that, I will spend a couple hundred dollars minimum on shirts, hats, golf gear, etc. I am not alone; the forum members most likely represent some of the top 'spenders' when it comes to buying tickets, TV packages and other Broncos merchandise. That is what customers do, they spend money, thereby generating revenue for a company, which in this case is the NFL and the Broncos organization.

This forum is not a privilege that you grant us. It is a marketing tool. It is a customer retention tool. In terms of the sales game, it is a lead generating tool, which helps generate new customers. If a customer called up LL Bean and the phone system was in horrible shape and screeched in the customers ears to the point of pain, would you expect them to stay on the line to place their order? If the person that answered the phone was rude and gave the impression that LL Bean could care less if that person was a customer or not, would you expect them to complete the order or to place another order in the future? This ridiculous color scheme is the visual equivalent of that screech on the telephone line. The reaction (both in words, but more importantly lack of action) is the equivalent of a customer service agent making clear that the company could care less if you place an order with them. Can you imagine calling up Lands End and being told that it is a ‘privilege’ to place an order with them?

This ridiculous color scheme is the equivalent of packing woman's panties in a customer's box, when the customer order a men's down parka.

The very fact that you have used the message board to try and promote the failed concept of Broncos Country and felt there was some gain in plastering credit card and other ads all over the forum, confirms the obvious. This is a site used to reach out to the "customers" of the Broncos organization. However, when dealing with customers, good customer service is required.

The time for excuses is over. It is time to clean up the mess that the web staff, or their third-party vendor, has made. Having your 'customers' get so upset or frustrated that they walk away from this community is not a good thing. More importantly, the fact that is happening, along with the outcry that you have heard in the polls and other feedback threads, make it very clear that these changes have not been received well AND that it isn't just a case of people taking time to get used to change.

Sometimes in life, people, employees or companies have to do a mea culpa. They have to first accept and then admit that a mistake was made, and finally fix the mistake. Companies are forgiven when shipping errors are made, or a credit card charged twice, etc., if they accept responsibility for the mistake, fix it, and convince their customers that they will strive to make sure the same mistake does not happen again. Obviously, New Coke/Coke Classic is one of the more famous mea culpas by corporate America. If Coke had dug in their heals, and buried their heads in the sand, with an attitude of “people will get used to the new Coke,” the company likely would have suffered far greater than it did by quickly reacting to and fixing their failed product ‘upgrade.’

It is time for the same to be done at Broncomania. The Broncos' 'customers', which the vast majority of forum members are, have been extremely patient with this botched forum 'upgrade'. Now, it is time to stop telling people that the changes are better than what they had before and that they will get used to them, and start realizing that you must take responsibility for the mistakes and misjudgments, convince your customers that you not only will fix the mistakes, but will strive to not make similar ones in the future.

I must take a moment to talk directly about the color scheme. I posted 30 or so examples of other forums that DON'T use a white background with black text. It simply is not common among high traffic, quality forums. It is simply too hard to read. I know I suggested, and it has been hinted, that alternate skins or themes might be released so forum members will have the 'choice' to use the ill conceived Broncos Country theme, or one that is not literally painful to use.

While that solution, if it ever comes, would be great for us existing forum members, it is short sighted (much like this color scheme and attempting to use the Broncomania forum traffic to sell credit cards and Broncos Country). All of us had to come to Broncomania for the first time. My first time was about three years ago, but yesterday or tomorrow will be someone else’s first time.

The point that I think the Broncos' web staff is failing to grasp is that this color scheme is not a failure because the members of this forum don't like change, but instead it is a failure because it is a color scheme avoided in forum use for a reason. It is simply too hard to read posts, especially for any extended period of time.

The question the staff should be asking themselves is what type of 'first' impression the message board will create for a person that sees it for the first time tomorrow or next week. Unfortunately, an objective answer to that question will be that the forum will not make a good first impression. First, that customer will experience a color scheme that simply doesn't work for forum use. Second, that customer will be inundated with ads for credit cards, magazines, etc. Third, they will find that long time forum members are leaving due to not only ill conceived changes being implemented, but the lack of action by the Broncos’ staff to fix the mistakes.

Not so long ago, Scandinavian airlines was in a tailspin. The company was struggling and losing money. The CEO realized that the company only had a small number of opportunities to make an impression on their customers. These 'points of contact' were when a person called up to make a reservation; checked in at the airport; boarded the plane; etc. It was the times when the customer and airline came into contact with each other and where the customers perception of Scandinavian airlines could be affected, positively or negatively. He determined that by focusing on making each point of contact a good experience, then he would get more repeat business and those happy customers would recommend Scandinavian airlines to other people. The company’s turn around is considered a great business success story, and it started by focusing on making each point of contact between the airline and their customer a better experience.

This forum is one of the Broncos points of contact with their customers. Its use is not a privilege that you are granting us. This forum and the Denver Broncos website are not here out of the goodness of Pat Bowlen's heart, they are here to service and market to the Broncos customers. This is a point of contact for many thousands of the Broncos customers, and right now it is not a positive one. In the same way that you would fix a problem in a shipping department if orders were going out wrong, or retrain customer service staff if their were complaints of rude behavior by that staff, it is imperative that this point of contact with your customer is also fixed.

It's time accept the fact you introduced New Coke and either bring back Coke Classic, or produce another formula change VERY, VERY quickly, because the longer the company stays in denial about the impact these ill conceived changes have had on their customers, the more likely they are to lose customers, in this modern world of fickle fans that change team allegiance or even league allegiance at the drop of the hat. So, unless you want people to stop buying Broncos jerseys and start buying Colts jerseys, or even Yankees, Rockets or Heat jerseys, it is time to admit that even with the best intentions, you wound up with a failed upgrade and that you must fix the problems quickly, rather than expecting your customers to 'adapt' to your mistakes.

T
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

tnedator - I you. I can honestly say that you have covered my thoughts and feelings in regards to the changes in Broncomania 100%. I correspond with other posters who have already left, some which are thinking about leaving, or some who have cut their time on this site down considerably, and they also share the same thoughts/feelings as you have stated. I definitely hope that everything you have noted in your post not only gets the attention of the person(s) who can correct the mistakes which you have noted, but hopefully their attention will turn into giving us back Broncomania, a great site, and not keeping it the way it is now. I definitely hope the decision has not already been made to "TAKE IT - OR LEAVE IT"!!!!!!!!
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/787...sigxwaaea9.jpg

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

An outstanding letter, articulated very well, tned.
    I had no idea you had that within you to write! Wow!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Good letter.

I agree.

I seen things going downhill awhile back, so I've been spending alot less time around here. Some of you may have notced.

Heck of a post Tned. I am impressed. If I could add anything to that I would, but I think you covered it all. My respect for you has grown today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    Good letter.

I agree.

I seen things going downhill awhile back, so I've been spending alot less time around here. Some of you may have notced.
    Yes, TDK, I have noticed, as well as noticed others who have left, and others who are spending alot less time around here also.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/787...sigxwaaea9.jpg

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Honest question here:

How many of you are going to:
    -Stop watching the Broncos
    -Buying Broncos gear
    -Going to Broncos games
    -Stop rooting for the Broncos

Because of the changes made to the board? So simply, how many are giving up being fans due to here?

You don't like the changes, understandable. But will you quit the reason you came to the boards in the first place (the O and B)?

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    Honest question here:

-Buying Broncos gear
    -Going to Broncos games

Because of the changes made to the board? So simply, how many are giving up being fans due to here?

You don't like the changes, understandable. But will you quit the reason you came to the boards in the first place (the O and B)?
    Of course not! It's just a message board....A hard to read message board!

Honest question here:

-Buying Broncos gear
    -Going to Broncos games

cinny...I am not A Broncos fan but I don't think anyone has ever indicated they are going to stop being a Denver fan...people can have opinions and lately the post I have seen from you....you act like people shouldn't

Honest question here:

-Buying Broncos gear
    -Going to Broncos games

Me? No. Other's? Possibly. We live in a society of fair weathered fans -- here today, gone tomorrow. Why is it that sports teams advertise locally? They are trying to ensure their fan base is large today AND tomorrow.

There have been more than a few examples of companies that 'assumed' their customers would always be there, and eventually, they were proven wrong.

The NFL as a whole realizes this, that is why Roger Goodell the hanging commissioner is cracking down so hard on misconduct, why they have rules in place to keep the games from running any longer than they do, etc. The NFL head office has realized for some time that while they are one of the more popular sporting leagues in the US now, they are simply entertainment, and have to compete not only with other sports leagues, but all other sources of entertainment.

Individual teams, need to realize that same thing. In the same way that the NFL rarely has players for life anymore (on the same team their whole career), the fan for life is also becoming a thing of the past. Rather than kids rooting for (and of course buying tickets and merchandise) a team because their father and grandfather did, they are often jumping on the 'hot' team in the 'hot' sports league. Loyalty in many aspects of life is not as lasting as in years past.

As a private company, the Broncos organization can certainly take the position that they don't have to work to get and keep customers, but as I indicated, that is a short sighted approach.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

As quoted from Eddie Murphy Raw.....

"It's MY house, and if you don't like it, get out!!!!!!"

I have never "bought" anything from this site....how am I a customer? I am a VISITOR to a website ran by someone who isn't me!!! I know that and understand that THEY may make some changes (THEY may even WARN ME that the changes are coming) Other sites I visit have made changes (some good some bad) and while I may disagree, I know that I am VISITING THIER site......not mine.

Go and start another Broncos site......you can do whatever you like there. I'll come visit, just as I will keep enjoying this site.

PEACE!!!
    Last edited by Peanut; 06-18-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    JEEP
    O||||O
    []-----[]

PEACE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    As quoted from Eddie Murphy Raw.....

"It's MY house, and if you don't like it, get the out!!!!!!"

I have never "bought" anything from this site....how am I a customer? I am a VISITOR to a website ran by someone who isn't me!!! I know that and understand that THEY may make some changes (THEY may even WARN ME that the changes are coming) Other sites I visit have made changes (some good some bad) and while I may disagree, I know that I am VISITING THIER site......not mine.

Go and start another Broncos site......you can do whatever you like there. I'll come visit, just as I will keep enjoying this site.

PEACE!!!

Amen.

I'm glad i'm good enough to be considered a customer now.

Quote Originally Posted by KCLadyFan View Post
    cinny...I am not A Broncos fan but I don't think anyone has ever indicated they are going to stop being a Denver fan...people can have opinions and lately the post I have seen from you....you act like people shouldn't
    Oh, sorry bout that, I meant my last post to be a follow up to something, then I had to drive back to Lakewood in a rush. Kinda left it hanging there.

I don't mind opinions, I just get tired of reading that people think they are owed something on here, immediately. The reason for my last post was to point out that none of us will stop being fans, despite it being hard to read , so really we have little pull as to what goes on here.

Thus given the changes (which was pretty generally agreed upon that they were not liked), then the fixes (font size, broken thread tools, and stuff), I just feel that we should be a little more patient, a little less demanding, and less jumping to drastic actions (such as leaving).

Has anyone bothered to simply drop Steve a line (we all know his email) and ask how the changes (skins/pictures up top of the fans) are coming instead of saying "I hate this stuff" every other day?

I probably am getting more annoyed than I should, but gosh darn it, everyone is annoyed at something and so I think it fits in.

So please put this post with my last one, it was the point I was trying to make.

going going almost gone

Oh, sorry bout that, I meant my last post to be a follow up to something, then I had to drive back to Lakewood in a rush. Kinda left it hanging there.

I don't mind opinions, I just get tired of reading that people think they are owed something on here, immediately. The reason for my last post was to point out that none of us will stop being fans, despite it being hard to read , so really we have little pull as to what goes on here.

Thus given the changes (which was pretty generally agreed upon that they were not liked), then the fixes (font size, broken thread tools, and stuff), I just feel that we should be a little more patient, a little less demanding, and less jumping to drastic actions (such as leaving).

Has anyone bothered to simply drop Steve a line (we all know his email) and ask how the changes (skins/pictures up top of the fans) are coming instead of saying "I hate this stuff" every other day?
    I probably am getting more annoyed than I should, but gosh darn it, everyone is annoyed at something and so I think it fits in.

So please put this post with my last one, it was the point I was trying to make.

Yes many of us have and the lack of positive response is deafening.

Great thread, but I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.

It is called customer service and while we do not pay to be on this sight we are still customers of the Broncos/NFL. While I do not buy tickets to the games I for years did the NFL ticket thingy until they decided that if the local stations have the game on I now have to watch Casa Ford advertisements, instead to the national ones. When it became a local show I stopped paying for it. When they forced me to watch the endings of games I did not wish to see after the start of the Broncos game even though it was on a different channel I stopped paying extra for something I can watch on a local station.

The SAS model that was quoted is or has been taught world wide for customer service. Any one that has ever dealt in the travel industry or in sales has had some of it in their courses. A good example of what to do and what not to do.

I have talked to many of those old timers after they left and to a person have all stated they do not like the direction this forum is going. Both in appearance and content. I am beginning to believe they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ View Post
    Yes many of us have and the lack of positive response is deafening.

Great thread, but I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.

It is called customer service and while we do not pay to be on this sight we are still customers of the Broncos/NFL. While I do not buy tickets to the games I for years did the NFL ticket thingy until they decided that if the local stations have the game on I now have to watch Casa Ford advertisements, instead to the national ones. When it became a local show I stopped paying for it. When they forced me to watch the endings of games I did not wish to see after the start of the Broncos game even though it was on a different channel I stopped paying extra for something I can watch on a local station.

The SAS model that was quoted is or has been taught world wide for customer service. Any one that has ever dealt in the travel industry or in sales has had some of it in their courses. A good example of what to do and what not to do.

I have talked to many of those old timers after they left and to a person have all stated they do not like the direction this forum is going. Both in appearance and content. I am beginning to believe they are correct.
    Well thank you for answering my question.