Thread: 08/28/07 Cuts!!

08/28/07 Cuts!!

Broncos cut Kircus, Lang, Veal

ENGLEWOOD — The Broncos got a head start before Tuesday’s cutdown to a 75-man roster by releasing eight players, led by defensive linemen Kenard Lang and Demetrin Veal and wide receiver David Kircus.
    Others who were absent as the team began preparations for the final pre-season game Thursday night against the Arizona Cardinals included kicker Brandon Pace, wide receiver David Terrell, running backs Cedric Cobbs and Troy Fleming and tight end Teyo Johnson.

The names have not as yet been officially turned into the league, so there’s a slight chance that released players can still return.

Lang was the most high-profile name among the cuts.

The free-agent pickup started all 16 games for just the third time in his career last season, following Courtney Brown’s season-ending knee injury. The departure of Lang, 32, leaves the Broncos with five ends on the roster, plus swing-player Alvin McKinley, and means rookies Tim Crowder and Jarvis Moss will inherit more critical roles.

Veal also logged significant playing time the last two seasons, appearing in 31 games overall with one start. At 288 pounds, he was not a fit in Jim Bates’ defensive scheme that calls for hulking bodies in the middle of the line.

Kircus made more headlines for his personal stories than his on-field production, though he did play a fill-in role at wideout last season and helped on punts and kickoffs. Kircus made the roster last year after spending a year out of football while working at a Subway franchise.

He was involved in a fracas this off-season that resulted in assault charges being filed against him. He then took a lie-detector test at coach Mike Shanahan’s behest to supposedly determine who started the altercation. That case has been continued until Oct. 2.
    [IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z27/Vulcan90/bailey2.jpg[/IMG]
    Made by BroncoManiac53

Who are the 3 that have not been disclosed yet??? The suspense is buggin the heck out of me.
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Quote Originally Posted by Giveemlove View Post
    Who are the 3 that have not been disclosed yet??? The suspense is buggin the heck out of me.

Paul Ernster, Quentin Harris, and Cameron Vaughn...but that only makes 11. Don't we have to cut 12? Plus Rod Smith has officialy been moved to the PUP list.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheffler88 View Post
    Paul Ernster, Quentin Harris, and Cameron Vaughn...but that only makes 11. Don't we have to cut 12? Plus Rod Smith has officialy been moved to the PUP list.
    Smith moving to the PUP is why its only 11 and 12 isn't it? When Rod comes off the PUP, someone will have to be released to make way for him

Wow? Paul Ernster? I thought they would keep him around since Todd is getting a bit older. Someone is definately going to nab him up.

Wow? Paul Ernster? I thought they would keep him around since Todd is getting a bit older. Someone is definately going to nab him up.
    you thought we would keep 3 kickers on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    you thought we would keep 3 kickers on the roster?
    Well, Ernster's numbers were better during the offseason. But then again, he did that last offseason to get the start, then dropped off. I guess it makes sense. Just a bit surprised.

Well, Ernster's numbers were better during the offseason. But then again, he did that last offseason to get the start, then dropped off. I guess it makes sense. Just a bit surprised.
    Jason Elam will keep his job for a few more years it appears, now that he doesn't have to kick off. And Sauerbrun is easily the best punter (he's been to the pro-bowl) so that doesn't leave much room for Ernster.

Last year, Sauerbrun got into Shanahan's doghouse by being hit with violating the league drug policy. But, he kept quiet and kept a positive attitude, went to New England and did well, and kept wanting to come back and saying nice things about Shanahan. So, it's no surprise that he got his job back.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Jason Elam will keep his job for a few more years it appears, now that he doesn't have to kick off. And Sauerbrun is easily the best punter (he's been to the pro-bowl) so that doesn't leave much room for Ernster.

Last year, Sauerbrun got into Shanahan's doghouse by being hit with violating the league drug policy. But, he kept quiet and kept a positive attitude, went to New England and did well, and kept wanting to come back and saying nice things about Shanahan. So, it's no surprise that he got his job back.
    Not to mention that Ernster was good at kickoffs but wasn't too hot at punting, his main job. With the thin air of Denver, Ernster should have ranked a lot higher than 28th in punting last year.

Ernster did punt a bit longer on average than Sauerbrun this preseason but I believe he did the same last year. His serious decline in the regular season last year had to be considered this time around.

Here's hoping Sauerbrun can get back to his former Pro Bowl self.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon View Post
    Not to mention that Ernster was good at kickoffs but wasn't too hot at punting, his main job. With the thin air of Denver, Ernster should have ranked a lot higher than 28th in punting last year.

Ernster did punt a bit longer on average than Sauerbrun this preseason but I believe he did the same last year. His serious decline in the regular season last year had to be considered this time around.

Here's hoping Sauerbrun can get back to his former Pro Bowl self.
    That's what I was thinking also, he seemed to play up everytime his job was on the line, then when he won it, the play declined. I just heard somewhere that Todd is in his mid 30's, eh....I'll take a punter who can put hits on returners and cause fumbles in the playoffs any day of the week...plus have you seen those arms? !!!

Good riddance to Kenard Lang. He always set up too long in his stance, and was never able to generate any power or speed off the ball on a consistent basis. Glad we used his roster spot on someone else.

calibroncogrl47 Guest
    wide receiver David Kircus

Awww man.... I know its prob best.. but I relaly had hopes that he would get his act together and we may keep him.. He had a lot of talent.. Bummer!