Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I liked Trotter, but

Quote Originally Posted by Brongo View Post
    I'm with you on Trotter. I saw the interview with Sundquist before the Cleveland game and he said that we were not going after Trotter because DJ is coming along so well at Mike. That just makes no sense to me. Even if it was true, we would want the depth. Only thing I can figure is maybe Trotter isn't willing to be a backup.

I'm also curious to see who we pick up from other teams after cuts. I'm expecting us to go deeper then 53 to leave room for some D-Line/LB pickups for depth.
    I argued in favor of picking up Trotter, but not because he could start at MLB right now. He's slow and his knees are beaten up. In Philly last year teams went to quick opening passes over the middle with him in the game because he could not cover the TE or RB coming out of the backfield.

It would be MUCH worse in the AFC West where we play 4 games against Tony G. and Antonio Gates, the two best pass-catching TEs in football as well as Larry Johnson and LT, who can also catch and can do serious damage if they get into the open 5 yards downfield with the ball.

I wanted to see Trotter become a Bronco because he's strong and a big hitter and experienced. He isn't fooled and he would be great in run support. That makes him valuable in the red-zone, short-yardage and goal-line defenses -- wherever the field was shortened up so you can't just throw. He'd be just like Al Wilson or even better (he's bigger than Al was). He just can't cover worth a damn, and in Philly's cover-2 defense that's too much of a handicap.

So, I can see why Shanahan doesn't want him. It would undermine D.J.'s confidence, and he feels (rightly) that if D.J. doesn't work out he's got Nate Webster who a lot of people think might be the best MLB on the team. Webster was hobbled by serious injury a few years ago and doesn't have D.J.'s speed, but he's a serious hitter and won't back down from anybody. He's a natural MIKE and is only starting at SLB because he's had the best pre-season of any Bronco and clearly won the battle with DD Lewis.

So, if D.J. is injured, I don't think the Broncos have a problem at MLB. Rather, because of the injuries to Moore and Holdman, they would have to use D.D. Lewis at SLB and that would be a drop-off there.

But, if D.J. doesn't do the job at MLB, and is NOT injured, they can simply move Webster over to MLB and move D.J. back to SLB and they'll be fine.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

I wish I shared the confidence you and others have in Webster, but I just don't, Cugel; I can't get the memories of the '9ers game out of my head. I know a lot of folks rave that he looked great in TC, but I also recall a lot of folks felt the same way about the whole D until it played its first pre-season game. I fear that Webster looks like a good LB in TC not because of how good he is but because of how bad the competition is (I DO like Ian Gold, but he's a WLB, not a Mike or Sam, and always will be). I'd MUCH prefer Trotter being the punishing run stopper at Sam who fills in at Mike at need. Let Webster have the D.D. Lewis role of coming in at Sam if/when the better starting Sam moves to the middle and I'll feel a lot better about our D. Not as good as I would with another clogger in the middle of the line, but better....
    SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!
    I never wanted a sig. I still don't.RIP, D-Will and Damien Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Gordon was better (than the 1st two weeks) but he still gets shoved around a lot. Thomas is a lot better at withstanding double teams...even as a rookie. I dont care if Thomas is a rookie. When I watch the game, I see Thomas hold his ground better than Kennedy and Gordon...and its not even close.
    Bare in mind lex that thomas was going agsint second and third teamers... i thinhk that carries ALOT of weight
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brongo View Post
    Good analysis. If I were Mike Bell I would be really worried. I don't see how he makes the team at this point.

Also, I thought Gordon played well, but at least one of his sacks was a result of Elvis forcing the QB to step up out of the pocket and right into his arms.

To me, the LB corps is what's scary. I just don't see DJ getting it done. I've never thought about it this way, but it looks like Mike has a lot of similarities to QB. You can have all the physical traits but if you don't have the "intangibles" - instinct, competitiveness, mental agility, etc. you can't cut it. Hopefully it's also similar to QB in that you get better and better with reps. I've never watched a new Mike so I just don't know.

There is a lot of good news. WR went from worry to strength this pre-season. RB looks great. And I don't care how old Lynch is, he just rocks. The guy is freakin' amazing.
    That is the point if Dumervil or the End cant get the sack its there job to push him up in the pocket so the tackle has a shot at him. Gordon is not known for being a UT so any sack by him is just the cream filling, and to me at least shows he is still pushing the pocket .
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosinindy View Post
    Bare in mind lex that thomas was going agsint second and third teamers... i thinhk that carries ALOT of weight
    Actually not so much when youre talking about double teams and Ive been giving that a lot of weight in terms of seeing who holds their ground best.