Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I think you've got that right MUG. If they can use Bell as a FB, then they can cut Sapp and go with 5 backs:

RB - Henry, Young
    FB - K. Johnson, Paul Smith, and Mike Bell

who can switch over to RB in case either Henry or Young gets injured (in which case, Cecil Sapp will probably be sitting around at home and they can re-sign him at that point).

That would give them more versatility and allow them to keep Paul Smith as backup FB while still having an exra RB in case of emergency.

The team wouldn't keep two RBs and 3 FBs. That doesn't make sense, I don't think any teams would have more FBs than RBs. And Cecil acts as a good FB, RB, and a great STer, which makes him more valuable than Smith or Bell.
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]"I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl whod get really mad if she heard me say that."
    "I think a rotisserie is like a really morbid ferris wheel for chickens."
    "I chewed a piece of Care-free gum, but afterwords i was still worried."

- Mitch Hedberg, 1967-2005
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR=SlateGray]- I adopted CECIL SAPP[/COLOR]

I think you've got that right MUG. If they can use Bell as a FB, then they can cut Sapp and go with 5 backs:

RB - Henry, Young
    Wouldn't Bell just be the third RB in that situation. I can't see Bell at FB anyway as his blocking isn't good enough.

I'd go with Henry, Young and Sapp at RB (Sapp because of the versatility of playing both full and half back, special teams and that he is our best backfield blocker)

At FB I'd have Johnson and Smith (again, Smith sticks around primarily because of his special teams play)

As much as I like Bell, I think Young has more upside and Sapp gives us so much more than Bell in other aspects of the game. I'd only keep Bell over Sapp if he was an exceptional runner or he could block as well as Sapp

Wow, can you say, speculation yes please?

No offense, but it is the preseason people. I very much doubt mcuh of this speculation will come to fruition. It is without a doubt that Young has made a name for himself this preseason. Enough so perhaps to warrent him taking the #2 job from Mike Bell, but not even close to enough to warrent Bells release IMO. 3 RB's is pretty standard for the Broncos to hold onto, with one of those RB's inactive for a regualr season game. So, we don't see Mike Bell for a few games, and despite his excellent running against the 49'ers, and it's time to cut him?

Here is a link to an ARticle ColumbiaSkinny pointed out, and I think it has one great quote. The fact that the last preseason game is for experimentation. In a gmae where zero of your starters are playing, and your playing for nothing but cuts, why would the Broncos put Mike Bell in at FB if his HB job was at stake? They wouldn't. They would give him a chance, like Hall, to prove he was worthy of remaining on the roster. Here is the article...

http://www.gazette.com/sports/alexan...ayed_team.html

SWITCHING ROLES

Selvin Young and Andre Hall, Denver’s fourth- and fifth-string tailbacks, were featured Thursday. Second- and third-string tailbacks Cecil Sapp and Mike Bell didn’t get the night off, however. Sapp and Bell each played fullback, alternating possessions. Sapp played fullback all last season. Bell, back from a hip injury, played only tailback as a rookie last season.

Shanahan said he had Sapp and Bell play fullback in case of injuries at fullback and one of them has to fill in.

“This is a game where you experiment,” Shanahan said.
    I think it's pretty obvious, sicne this is from the horses mouth, that Sapp and Bell will be retained, and were getting reps at FB incase, during the regular season, one has to fill in at FB. Here is how I see it playing out....

HB: Travis Henry, Selvin Young, Mike Bell.

FB: Kyle Johnson, Cecil Sapp.

Hitting Waivers: Andre Hall And Paul Smith.

PRactice Squad Signings: Paul Smith.

The only thing that can stop the ninja.
    Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter to me who stays and who goes, because Henry ios clear and away the only that matters as far as our RB's go.

Selvin Young, Mike Bell, Cecil Sapp, Paul Smith, Kyle Johnson, Andre Hall. They're all a distant second to Travis Henry, and deemed irrelevant iin my book.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter to me who stays and who goes, because Henry ios clear and away the only that matters as far as our RB's go.

Selvin Young, Mike Bell, Cecil Sapp, Paul Smith, Kyle Johnson, Andre Hall. They're all a distant second to Travis Henry, and deemed irrelevant iin my book.
    Irrelevant? I'm thinking not. Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Terrell Davis... All RBs that didn't look like #1s in preseason but ended giving us 1,000+ yards due to injuries to the "starting" RB. I think having the right backups is very important.

Cutting Rod Smith at WR would help the Broncs keep almost all the guys, although Andre Hall is expendable.
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]"I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl whod get really mad if she heard me say that."

[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Chubs_323 View Post
    Irrelevant? I'm thinking not. Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Terrell Davis... All RBs that didn't look like #1s in preseason but ended giving us 1,000+ yards due to injuries to the "starting" RB. I think having the right backups is very important.

Cutting Rod Smith at WR would help the Broncs keep almost all the guys, although Andre Hall is expendable.
    What has Olandis, Mike Anderson, and Rueben Droughns done with other NFL teams.

Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    What has Olandis, Mike Anderson, and Rueben Droughns done with other NFL teams.

Oh.
    I know, but I'm just saying that can't not care about their backups.

And let me just say that if Henry gets hurt, I will likely go into some sort of unconscious state of being. If he stays healthy, in our system, we're looking at an incredible season from him!

[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Chubs_323 View Post

Rod Smith is on the PUP.....he doesn't count against the roster until he comes back in week 6...if he comes back.

RB - Henry, Young

who can switch over to RB in case either Henry or Young gets injured (in which case, Cecil Sapp will probably be sitting around at home and they can re-sign him at that point).

That would give them more versatility and allow them to keep Paul Smith as backup FB while still having an exra RB in case of emergency.
    You've got to be kidding here...there is no way Mike Bell is the blocker Sapp is.

I think Sapp is a lock when you consider his versatilty and ST's presence.

I think it's highly doubtful that Bell would stay at the expense of Sapp.