Will any starters play in AZ game?

Will any starters play in AZ game?

Thanks
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

...Shanahan said that despite the departures of these players, his customary decision to sit his starters in Thursday's final preseason game is partly to preserve the health his starters, but also to give players on the bubble a tremendous opportunity to help out their chances of making the team.

"There's a number of players that are very close. This is a big evaluation for a lot of these guys," Shanahan said. "There's a number of guys that have an opportunity to make this team, and we're trying to decide between one or two guys at a number of these positions. This'll obviously be the difference in making this team.

"If we needed to see more (of the starters), they'd be playing," Shanahan said. "We've done this every year since I've been here, so this is no different from any other year."...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=7096
    RIP Williams / Nash

In short no. I'm trying to be curt but its been Shanahan's practice to hold all the starter out of the final preseason game.

I understand why he doesn't but on the other hand I think for purposes of getting into a groove it would be helpful.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

or DL and LB sure as hell could use it though...i see no reason not to have DJ in there for atleast 1 quarter

ill be pretty upset if dj doesnt get more playing time. at least a quarter would be helpful. this would allow him to get a look at another offense and help adapt just a little more before we head into a game that actually counts.

Considering that Moss and Crowder will be playing( I think Crowder will be playing unless he's still hurt), I would say that at least one starter will be playing. Bates has already said that Dumervil will not be a starter, so that pretty much tells us that either Moss or Crowder, with a slight chance of Alvin McKinley, will be the starting RDE(Moss) or LDE(Crowder/McKinley) on opening day. Dumervil has already been told that he will not play against the Cardinals, but that's probably because they want to see more from the other three to determine who will end up as a starter.

Other than the battle for the final starting spot at DE, I wouldn't want to see the starters play, except for possibly DJ Williams. Since it hasn't yet been decided if the move to the middle is permanent, I think it might be a good idea to give Williams a little more rehearsal time. But, I guess the coaches are set on the idea of giving Williams at least a couple of regular season games before they decide whether or not to end the experiment of DJ playing middle linebacker.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Considering that Moss and Crowder will be playing( I think Crowder will be playing unless he's still hurt), I would say that at least one starter will be playing. Bates has already said that Dumervil will not be a starter, so that pretty much tells us that either Moss or Crowder, with a slight chance of Alvin McKinley, will be the starting RDE(Moss) or LDE(Crowder/McKinley) on opening day. Dumervil has already been told that he will not play against the Cardinals, but that's probably because they want to see more from the other three to determine who will end up as a starter.

Other than the battle for the final starting spot at DE, I wouldn't want to see the starters play, except for possibly DJ Williams. Since it hasn't yet been decided if the move to the middle is permanent, I think it might be a good idea to give Williams a little more rehearsal time. But, I guess the coaches are set on the idea of giving Williams at least a couple of regular season games before they decide whether or not to end the experiment of DJ playing middle linebacker.
    Huh? Reports I've read have said that Dumervil looks to be a starter now. Do you have a link with Bates saying he won't be?

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    Huh? Reports I've read have said that Dumervil looks to be a starter now. Do you have a link with Bates saying he won't be?
    i would be extremely surprised if dumervil wasnt starting, mabey they just arent sure yet.
    BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonianBroncoFan View Post
    i would be extremely surprised if dumervil wasnt starting, mabey they just arent sure yet.
    That's what I've been thinking, but broncolee is claiming that Bates has said that he won't be the starter. I was hoping to get some more info on this from him.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    That's what I've been thinking, but broncolee is claiming that Bates has said that he won't be the starter. I was hoping to get some more info on this from him.
    lets hope we get a link
    BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL

I found this

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7166892

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Elvis Dumervil wants to do more than just harass quarterbacks.

The second-year pro, who led the Broncos with 8 1/2 sacks as a rookie last season, wants to be a run-stopper, too. The Broncos believe Dumervil has improved enough to merit more playing time, but he might not want to get used to starting.

He got his first start Saturday night against Cleveland as the Broncos began moving on from the loss of starter Ebenezer Ekuban to a season-ending Achilles' injury. He fared well, recording a sack and putting some pressure on the pocket.

Coach Mike Shanahan likes to rest his starters in the final preseason tuneup, which he uses to determine the final half dozen or so roster spots, and Dumervil was told he won't play Thursday night against Arizona. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to hold onto that starting spot ahead of rookies Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder and swingman Alvin McKinley.

New defensive coordinator Jim Bates told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he's been impressed with Dumervil's offseason work and desire to be a more well-rounded player but that he won't be the starter.

"He's gotten much stronger in the weight room and his endurance is getting better and better. And he's added a little bit more power to his rush. He's using a little bit more finesse along with his power, so he's improved," Bates said.

Dumervil can certainly be used on occasional first and second downs as a run-stopper, Bates said.

"He can. It all depends on who we have available, who we dress out, as to how much he'll be in there on run downs. He can play. He's not going to be a starter on run downs but he can go in and spell at times and get the job done," Bates said.

So, Dumervil will have to settle for getting more playing time this season.

He played the run during a standout college career at Louisville. "It's a little different in 'the League.' Guys are a little quicker and stronger and a lot smarter," he said.

At 5-11 and 260 pounds, Dumervil is diminutive for an NFL defensive end, but that didn't prevent him from bull-rushing Browns massive left tackle Joe Thomas, the third pick in the draft, and forcing quarterback Charlie Frye out of the pocket, where he was corralled by Amon Gordon for a sack Saturday night.

"It's all about leverage," said Dumervil, who got by on speed rushes as a rookie.

"Last year, I thought I kind of got slowed down when I didn't have any counter moves. Teams just started trying to take away my speed rush," Dumervil said.

So, he worked with line coach Jacob Burney in the offseason to refine his pass-rush moves and he learned how to better use his hands to play the handoff and the drop-back.

"I just want to keep the tackle guessing. I don't want to be too predictable," Dumervil said. "I added some moves to my arsenal and I'm excited about it."

Good thing, too, because the Broncos spent two of their four draft picks on defense ends in Moss and Crowder.

"I never held my head down. I know they went hard in the draft with top ends Moss and Tim, who are good additions to our defense. But I never really got off focus," Dumervil said. "I just kept believing in myself."

Dumervil figures if he can be on the field more this season, he'll see a big jump in his sacks.

"Definitely 12 to 15," he said, adding it was a realistic goal "especially with the corners we have in Dre' Bly and Champ Bailey. It's really like stealing. I think up front we have to take it upon ourselves to get after it because we have guys who can cover."

Dumervil's improvement helped pave the way for the exit of 11th-year pro Kenard Lang, who started all 16 games last year but was among the cuts Tuesday when the roster was trimmed to 75.
    Last edited by cutlerfan; 08-29-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

That's the article I was refering to. I thought it was already posted by someone, but I may have read it from either rockymountainnews.com or denverpost.com.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

we do this every year and every year we start out ok. even if we've lost the first game the last two years, we've always started well anyway as far as the first few games go, so i'm not worried.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerfan View Post
    I found this

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7166892

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Elvis Dumervil wants to do more than just harass quarterbacks.

The second-year pro, who led the Broncos with 8 1/2 sacks as a rookie last season, wants to be a run-stopper, too. The Broncos believe Dumervil has improved enough to merit more playing time, but he might not want to get used to starting.

He got his first start Saturday night against Cleveland as the Broncos began moving on from the loss of starter Ebenezer Ekuban to a season-ending Achilles' injury. He fared well, recording a sack and putting some pressure on the pocket.

Coach Mike Shanahan likes to rest his starters in the final preseason tuneup, which he uses to determine the final half dozen or so roster spots, and Dumervil was told he won't play Thursday night against Arizona. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to hold onto that starting spot ahead of rookies Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder and swingman Alvin McKinley.

New defensive coordinator Jim Bates told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he's been impressed with Dumervil's offseason work and desire to be a more well-rounded player but that he won't be the starter.

"He's gotten much stronger in the weight room and his endurance is getting better and better. And he's added a little bit more power to his rush. He's using a little bit more finesse along with his power, so he's improved," Bates said.

Dumervil can certainly be used on occasional first and second downs as a run-stopper, Bates said.

"He can. It all depends on who we have available, who we dress out, as to how much he'll be in there on run downs. He can play. He's not going to be a starter on run downs but he can go in and spell at times and get the job done," Bates said.

So, Dumervil will have to settle for getting more playing time this season.

He played the run during a standout college career at Louisville. "It's a little different in 'the League.' Guys are a little quicker and stronger and a lot smarter," he said.

At 5-11 and 260 pounds, Dumervil is diminutive for an NFL defensive end, but that didn't prevent him from bull-rushing Browns massive left tackle Joe Thomas, the third pick in the draft, and forcing quarterback Charlie Frye out of the pocket, where he was corralled by Amon Gordon for a sack Saturday night.

"It's all about leverage," said Dumervil, who got by on speed rushes as a rookie.

"Last year, I thought I kind of got slowed down when I didn't have any counter moves. Teams just started trying to take away my speed rush," Dumervil said.

So, he worked with line coach Jacob Burney in the offseason to refine his pass-rush moves and he learned how to better use his hands to play the handoff and the drop-back.

"I just want to keep the tackle guessing. I don't want to be too predictable," Dumervil said. "I added some moves to my arsenal and I'm excited about it."

Good thing, too, because the Broncos spent two of their four draft picks on defense ends in Moss and Crowder.

"I never held my head down. I know they went hard in the draft with top ends Moss and Tim, who are good additions to our defense. But I never really got off focus," Dumervil said. "I just kept believing in myself."

Dumervil figures if he can be on the field more this season, he'll see a big jump in his sacks.

"Definitely 12 to 15," he said, adding it was a realistic goal "especially with the corners we have in Dre' Bly and Champ Bailey. It's really like stealing. I think up front we have to take it upon ourselves to get after it because we have guys who can cover."

Dumervil's improvement helped pave the way for the exit of 11th-year pro Kenard Lang, who started all 16 games last year but was among the cuts Tuesday when the roster was trimmed to 75.
    of all the things we've seen from dumer so far in his career, and the comments made about him, and how he owned joe thomas, etc etc etc....why is he not a starter? like really, maybe we should be forgetting all the things we think we need in a starter and just let the guy produce. so what he might not be superhuman against the run, but who on our team as an end, IS good against the run and can actually pass rush at the same time? engelberger? nah. i say we just stick elvis out there and let him rush. why not? so what he's small, is that our only reason? how much worse could we do sticking to a "safe" player who is bigger? no rush, just a standstill at the line, nothing we need at all.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

dumervil will be great if starting
    BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL