Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What Things Would Have To Happen For Denver To Get To The Super-Bowl In 2007?

I admit that hopes of a Broncos Super-bowl win is WAY optimistic in 2007, but then the Rams fans probably weren't thinking about winning a SB in 1999 after finishing 4-10 the year before!

So, it's possible! Probable? Not at all likely, but certainly possible. So what would have to happen for Denver to have a chance to win the Superbowl? What things have to break right for the Broncos to have a chance?

Here's my list of 8 things that all have to break in the Broncos favor. Let's hear your lists!

1. Cutler must come out and play virtually error free ball, especially early in the season. This team isn't so good right now it can overcome serious errors, interceptions and fumbles will kill them.

2. The defense must come together in a hurry, especially the DL. That means big-time contributions from rookies, which is not normal in the NFL. Having three rookies play significant starting roles on the D-line is potential trouble in spades. Crowder, Moss and Thomas must all perform above expectations in their first year, because there's not really a plan B if they aren't ready to contribute right away.

3. Dre Bly has to be consistent in his coverage and the secondary has to continue to be the strong-point of the Broncos defense, until the front seven come around.

4. D.J. Williams has to learn to play the MLB position in a hurry. No time for learning curves. He's got to be ready day 1, because Al Wilson's shoes are pretty big shoes to fill.

5. The OL has to play together and can't afford many mistakes, blown assignments or other problems resulting from not playing together for very long. They have to get it together right away.

6. NO Early season slump! This team MUST beat the teams it should beat in the first 1/2 of the season, taking care of business. Then hopefully by the 2nd half the team will develop enough to have a chance of winning some meaningful games down the stretch to position themselves for the playoffs.

7. They have to get lucky with injuries. In '97 and '98, the team was thin at some key positions like OL, but managed to avoid key injuries. That hasn't been the case in recent years. Denver can't lose significant time for their key starters like Javon, Cutler, Graham and Champ and expect to go anywhere.

8. Finally, they have to find a way to win on the road in the playoffs, something Denver hasn't done since 1997.

That's a LONG list of improbable factors, but all of them have to break the Broncos way for them to have a chance to win it all.

Can they do it? MAYBE! We'll see starting September 9!
    Last edited by Cugel; 08-29-2007 at 04:17 PM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Good thread cugel.

Don't have much time but I think the key this year is chemistry. Defense has to gel, Patchwork O-line has to gel.

Winning it all is very possible. We will be overlooked because of San Diego, Colts, and the already crowned Patriots, which will be good. What we have to do is play to our potential. We are not so far down the talent pool as any of the above mentioned.
    "I don't think it's 'Tebow Time'; I just think it's 'Bronco Time"
    Tim Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by FireAce View Post
    Winning it all is very possible. We will be overlooked because of San Diego, Colts, and the already crowned Patriots, which will be good. What we have to do is play to our potential. We are not so far down the talent pool as any of the above mentioned.
    Yes, but what specific factors will be key? That's where this thread is going!

You've seen my list, let's see your lists!
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

1. make the playoffs
    2. keep the turnovers completely down
    3. finish teams off. don't let them back in.
    4. get the lucky bounces. the last few superbowl winners have had luck to go with their winning streaks. it's just required now unless you're too much of a powerhouse to need it and we haven't seen that since, well, the broncos won ten years ago.

i think that sumsit up. very condensed but sums it up.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

Your list is good. Haven't thought of my complete list, but one item I would definitely add...

Travis Henry and the O-Line have to give us a return to running dominance. We have to be able to run the ball in order to take pressure off of Cutler as a rookie and to control time of possession.

If Peyton Manning's arm fell off we'd have a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzler88 View Post
    If Peyton Manning's arm fell off we'd have a better shot.
    the colts would suck, also i dont agree with the original statement , i think we have a big chance of going to the superbowl this year
    BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL

Two things.....

Two things....and these things will make for a great 2007-2008 football season.

A solid running attack-and I'm talking top 10 running attack. Sure Cutler can sling the ball, but he's still young and need a good running game to work out of the pocket on play action. This need to be an offense that wears opponents D's down with long sustained drives. I hope for many second and short/ third and short/ scenarios.

A solid pass rush- Pressure on the QB and playing on the opposing teams side of the ball. We have the best corner-back duo in the league and pressure on the QB means turnovers and sacks. Lots of those and we have a top tier AFC team.
    [SIGPIC]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p177/Ambivalent1/AlphonsoSmith.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Why did Mc'D get rid of Hillis?

1. Run defense. The play of our front seven is not only disturbing in that we have too much youth, but also that we haven't shown the ability to stop the run. If we let other teams attack us with time-consuming drives sustained by an unchecked rushing game, we'll be gassed and ineffective late in games.

2. WRs step up. Javon needs to stay healthy and pick up in 2007 where he left off last year before Jay took the helm. Brandon Marshall needs to show us he's the truth. This will make things a lot easier for Henry.

3. Special teams need to be much improved. We can't recover from muffed punts and poor field position. Our return game needs to show some life, and our coverages need to consistently slam the door shut on kickoffs and punts.

4. Turnovers. We can't afford to be on the minus end of the turnover stat. One of the key reasons we went to the AFC Championship game in 2005 was our outstanding success with turnovers. Jay needs to refrain from testing every elite corner/safety in the league, and Travis Henry needs to have an above average (for him) year in ball security. We need our corners to play up to their potential, and our special teams to avoid back-breaking fumbles on kickoffs and punts.

5. O-line consistency. Healthy Lepsis and Nalen are the only sure things this year, with a battle at the LG spot and a new duo on the right. This is a line that specializes in mobility and rushing, so it's vital that they can also provide Jay protection on a consistent basis. Although Jay is somewhat elusive, he's at his best when he has time to throw.

6. Sharp play-calling from Lynch/DJ Williams. While Lynch is as savvy as they come, it's also paramount that DJ shows the ability to recognize offensive alignments and audibles corrections/warnings accurately. Since this is new to him, I'm sure he's not there yet...so it's crucial that he 'learns' those instincts quickly. Outstanding athlete he is, all he's mising is that MLB instinct to be where the ball is, or guess right more often.

7. Big plays on defense. There will be a few games where we need some back breaking plays from our D. Pick-6, goal line stand, and key sacks on 3rd down. These guys don't strike me as a dominating force, so I think we'll need a few strokes of good fortune throughout the year.

Good thread Cugel...My list is as follows; and since I'm already on record for posting 2007 as a Superbowl or bust season I can't say that I'm very comfortable with the way things look right now:

1. Jay Cutler has to play at a level beyond his actual NFL experience.
    2. Team chemistry must come together on both sides of the ball, special teams as well.
    3. The offense has to stay out of 3rd and long situations.
    4. The offense must score touchdowns vs. field goals in the red zone.
    5. The defense must consistently pressure the opposing QB.
    6. The Broncos must win the time of possession and turnover catagories week in and week out.
    7. No major injuries.
    Last edited by ROCKIES; 08-29-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Jesus Christ is King of Kings & Lord of Lords!

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3...13e1100df3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    1. Run defense. The play of our front seven is not only disturbing in that we have too much youth, but also that we haven't shown the ability to stop the run. If we let other teams attack us with time-consuming drives sustained by an unchecked rushing game, we'll be gassed and ineffective late in games.

2. WRs step up. Javon needs to stay healthy and pick up in 2007 where he left off last year before Jay took the helm. Brandon Marshall needs to show us he's the truth. This will make things a lot easier for Henry.

3. Special teams need to be much improved. We can't recover from muffed punts and poor field position. Our return game needs to show some life, and our coverages need to consistently slam the door shut on kickoffs and punts.

4. Turnovers. We can't afford to be on the minus end of the turnover stat. One of the key reasons we went to the AFC Championship game in 2005 was our outstanding success with turnovers. Jay needs to refrain from testing every elite corner/safety in the league, and Travis Henry needs to have an above average (for him) year in ball security. We need our corners to play up to their potential, and our special teams to avoid back-breaking fumbles on kickoffs and punts.

5. O-line consistency. Healthy Lepsis and Nalen are the only sure things this year, with a battle at the LG spot and a new duo on the right. This is a line that specializes in mobility and rushing, so it's vital that they can also provide Jay protection on a consistent basis. Although Jay is somewhat elusive, he's at his best when he has time to throw.

6. Sharp play-calling from Lynch/DJ Williams. While Lynch is as savvy as they come, it's also paramount that DJ shows the ability to recognize offensive alignments and audibles corrections/warnings accurately. Since this is new to him, I'm sure he's not there yet...so it's crucial that he 'learns' those instincts quickly. Outstanding athlete he is, all he's mising is that MLB instinct to be where the ball is, or guess right more often.

7. Big plays on defense. There will be a few games where we need some back breaking plays from our D. Pick-6, goal line stand, and key sacks on 3rd down. These guys don't strike me as a dominating force, so I think we'll need a few strokes of good fortune throughout the year.
    Short and skinny. If the run D does good we should be good. Our CB should get some good picks this year so that will equal out cutlers picks. yes he will have some because he is pretty much a rookie. On that same note he is a stud should throw for 2 tds a game. Henery puts up one and elam kicks 2 field goals. thats 27 pts per game. I think we should be able to hold the other teams under that. Remember we don't have to have a perfect season to win the SB We just have to make the play offs.
    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

My list...

1. Acutally beat the Colts for a change

...k thats about it.

I think one big thing that I see that we havent been doing well in preseason is 3rd down, both offensive and defensive, our defense has not been able to stop any one on 3rd down, and we havent been able to convert on offense on 3rd down.

I think that we will be able to do this, and remember it was just preseason. we are still loaded with talent, and coaching, I give us an exellent change at getting to the superbowl, just as good of chance of any of the others[colts, chargers, patriots]

I would have to say, in order to win the superbowl we would have to first make the playoffs, then once we were there we would have to win every game in the playoffs!!!!!!

Seriously, we need our front 4 to put pressure on the quarterback, sacks aren't needed (although they would be a bonus), just enough pressure to force the QB into some stupid mistakes. If we win the turnover battle we have a good shot of winning each game. On the offensive side of the ball we need Henry to establish a ground attack early in each game so the wideouts (Walker) have single coverage. Last I think we need to get the tight ends more involved in the offense, that's one thing I believe Cutler will be good at. I saw an article on Graham and it had a chart showing the catches Bronco TE's had compared to the catches Graham has had over the past 5 seasons. As a team we had more than Graham each year but yeach of the past 5 years our TE's have had less catches than the year before. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Scheffler fan. If you look back when we were dominant, we used the TE's to our advantage and caused many missmatches in the secondary that way. I believe that is the number one key this season. I will see if I can locate that article and I will post it here.